Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Remote access to an outbuilding

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:54 am

I have bought a bunch of stuff from Amped Wireless that I cannot get to work, despite hours on the phone with tech support. (This has happened over time, and each time I have been advised to buy something more. Now they say maybe one of the out-of-warranty components is not working ...)

I have run Ethernet wire from my router to an Amped Wirleless 600EX Pro Access Point [Ethernet cable confirmed to be good via a Fluke cable tester] mounted on the outside of my house. It is in line of sight to an Amped Wireless 8EX 8dBi outdoor omni-directional WiFi antenna mounted 245 feet away on the outside of my steel building shop. The antenna is connected to an Amped Wireless SR300 Smart Repeater inside the shop. I can stand outside the shop and connect to the access point (and internet) with a very strong signal on my laptop. When I move into the shop with the laptop I have no wireless signal (sort of expected) but when I connect my laptop to the smart repeater via an Ethernet cable I cannot connect to the access point. It seems to me that the antenna should be receiving the signal from the access point feeding the smart repeater.

I also have an Amped Wireless SR600EX Pro Range Extender/Smart Repeater that I had mounted on the outside of my steel building, and that fed to the SR300 Smart Repeater inside the building. Tech support says that unit is defective. (They also say that any wireless system is 'iffy' even though their advertising talks about miles of range.)

What can I do to get what i want -- either wired or wireless access inside the steel building??????

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Remote access to an outbuilding

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am

if it was me...

I would run a cable from your router in your house to nearest point closest to your outbuilding.
I then install a switch or repeater and run OUTSIDE BURIAL RATED ethernet cable (300 ft length) from the switch in your house to your outbuilding.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Ethernet ... B00ONS3MZA

On the other end inside your outbuilding you need a wireless AP or a wirless router than operate as an AP.

300ft is all you got to work with so hopefully that is enough length to bury the cable.

I would shield the cable in conduit to help against moles and frost/freeze.

Burying the cable 3 feet down is a good idea but it depends on your limits.

If 300ft is not long enough you can order 325ft but that as far as you can go.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:48 am

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things or grossly over simplifying things here, but if you have a good/strong wifi signal on your laptop outside your shop you're already getting a good signal to the outside of the building, your challenge is just getting that signal to "jump" through the metal that is killing that signal and be rebroadcast so you can use wifi inside the shop. I'm sure you realize your latency will probably suck but you should be able to get a good connection with a couple of pieces. I would think you could use something as simple as this: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... B01N5RCZQH a small travel router than you can configure in client mode to connect to your existing wifi on the outside of the shop and connect an ethernet cable to either another one of the routers set to AP mode or any router/wireless AP of your choice - I would guess the SR300 could work in that application if you can configure it as its own AP with a LAN port connection from the router outside.
I don't know the first thing about the equipment you're using but it seems like the antennas mounted outside aren't doing a good job or bring the signal to the repeater inside or the repeater inside isn't doing what it needs to with the signal it's receiving or maybe the cable in between is failing at its job. If you've got a good signal at the building it should be simple to get that signal inside the building assuming everyone is capable of doing their job correctly.

EDIT: Are you able to connect the SR300 repeater to your access point outside the building? Maybe with the stock antennas on it? That would help determine which link of your chain isn't working. If you're not able to connect at all with that repeater I would say it's your weak link and I would either look at replacing it with the same or something different.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:52 am

Additional thoughts:

Have you confirmed that the smart repeater inside your shop can see your AP on your house?
Have you confirmed the smart repeater is setup correctly?
If you put it on a table outside your shop does the setup work?

I've connected a steel barn to a house before and have gotten it to work with a pair of Linksys wrt54g routers with the remote AP flashed with DD-wrt.
The antenna's are the most important thing.
You really want directional antenna's (yagi or dish) pointing at each other for the bast signal.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

cphite
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 am

If you have power in the outbuilding, and that power originates in your house (as opposed to having a separate power box) then you might also consider using a PowerLine router. Just bear in mind the two ends need to be on the same circuit. In other words, you'd want an outlet in your house that is on the same line as an outlet in the outbuilding, without passing through your breaker panel.

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 am

JimPerry wrote:
I also have an Amped Wireless SR600EX Pro Range Extender/Smart Repeater that I had mounted on the outside of my steel building, and that fed to the SR300 Smart Repeater inside the building. Tech support says that unit is defective.

I missed this initially - are you able to connect the SR600EX to your AP on the house? If so, it sounds like the SR300 being defective would explain why neither or your systems has worked - it's common to both. I would guess you could connect the output of the SR600EX to either another wireless router/access point of any variety on the inside of the building over ethernet or you could simply connect the ethernet output of the SR600EX to your laptop or another switch inside the shop if you want wired access. You could use that cheap and cheerful travel router I linked earlier as your AP inside the building if your needs aren't great.
i7-8086K | Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI | 32GB DDR4-2400 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 512GB 960 Pro | 27" Dell 2560x1440 Gsync | Fractal R6 | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W | Win10 Pro x64.

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:27 am

Lots of suggestions, and I am a real novice at this, so you may need to explain to me some things.

RE: Going thru power line -- power off the transformer pole goes two ways, one into the house and one into the outbuilding. There are breaker panels in both.

RE: Is the Smart Repeater able to see the Access Point -- how would I know that? When I connect the laptop via Ethernet cable to the Smart Repeater, I do not see the Access Point Network on my laptop.

RE: the antenna, is there a way to know if the antenna is actually bringing the signal to the Smart Repeater?

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:34 am

RE: Going thru power line -- power off the transformer pole goes two ways, one into the house and one into the outbuilding. There are breaker panels in both.
--I think this would eliminate powerline networking as a possibility

RE: Is the Smart Repeater able to see the Access Point -- how would I know that? When I connect the laptop via Ethernet cable to the Smart Repeater, I do not see the Access Point Network on my laptop.
-- which smart repeater? The SR600 or 300? You should be able to see your network if it's working correctly - I don't mean to insult you, but as you classify yourself as a novice I don't want to assume you know this. You won't be connecting to a wifi network at that point - you'll be connected via ethernet so I guess the test would be to see if you have internet access. You won't "see" your wifi AP at that point, you'll be connected wired so your laptop will just see it as a network, nothing to do with wifi as far as it's concerned.

RE: the antenna, is there a way to know if the antenna is actually bringing the signal to the Smart Repeater?[/quote]
I don't know how the SR300 or 600 get configured - I would guess you need to connect to them with their wired ports to configure the connection and security back to your house AP. If you're not even seeing your AP anywhere with either of those devices I would say you've got either a configuration or hardware issue.

It sounds like you should have enough hardware to make this work, even if one of the devices is bad.

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 am

"RE: Is the Smart Repeater able to see the Access Point -- how would I know that? When I connect the laptop via Ethernet cable to the Smart Repeater, I do not see the Access Point Network on my laptop.
-- which smart repeater? The SR600 or 300? You should be able to see your network if it's working correctly - I don't mean to insult you, but as you classify yourself as a novice I don't want to assume you know this. You won't be connecting to a wifi network at that point - you'll be connected via ethernet so I guess the test would be to see if you have internet access. You won't "see" your wifi AP at that point, you'll be connected wired so your laptop will just see it as a network, nothing to do with wifi as far as it's concerned"

I was referring to the SR300. And I am not easily insulted; I am ignorant.

I have tried two ways to connect via Ethernet cable to the SR600 when it is mounted on the outside of the shop:
1. I have connected the SR600 to the SR300, and then connected the laptop's Ethernet cable to one of the lan ports of the SR300. Did not work.
2. I have connected the SR600 directly to the laptop bu connecting to the SR600s adapter's lan port. (The other one on the adapter is the POE port). Did not work.

I have tried to connect the SR300, which the external antenna connects to via an Ethernet cable to the laptop Did not work

I have reset all the devices, both by unplugging them and using the reset buttons (as I was directed by the tech support).

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm

JimPerry wrote:
I have reset all the devices, both by unplugging them and using the reset buttons (as I was directed by the tech support).

It's not clear to me if you're just not saying it or you're not doing it, but are you going into the configuration on either device - the 600 or 300 - and configuring them for connection to your existing home wifi network? Here is a guide: https://www.ampedwireless.com/media/doc ... nglish.pdf

They aren't simply signal boosters - they are actually connecting to your existing network (security and all that needs to be configured) just like your laptop does and then they're re-broadcasting that as another access point, hopefully inside your shop. I'm hoping the device tech support already went through that with you, but if they haven't, that misunderstanding of their intended operation may be what's getting you. I guess I'm wondering that because it doesn't make sense that you would have two completely separate devices that both have the same problem.

If we assume that this was a lightbulb moment for you and everything now works as expected I would guess you might still need to do some figuring. If the steel building acts as essentially a faraday cage and doens't allow any signal I don't think the 300 with just the better antennas outside is going to work for you because it will communicate just fine with your AP on the house but I think the rebroadcast or repeated wifi is going to be through those same antenna - outside the building. I'm not sure if either the 600 or 300 can act as an AP with wired LAN input or if they only repeat wireless. If they only repeat, I would say return one if you still can and get a simple router or wireless access point that I know can be configured with the same AP name and credentials as your home Wifi or something totally different if you prefer in the shop and then just plug the output of your signal "catching" device into a LAN port inside the shop connected via ethernet through the wall.

If you've gone through all that and this is old news I would say that for some reason you've got two devices that just don't work and the manufacturer should stand behind them someway somehow.

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

frumper15, I cannot access the setup wizard from Amped Wireless consistently. In fact, now I cannot access it at all -- I get the message that I cannot get to the site because I lack an internet connection. Tech support did all sorts of things, and sometimes I could see the setup wizard and go through it, but in the end the configuration process always failed.

As suggested, I took the SR300 outside with it's own little antennas and it was unable to establish a connection.

The 600EX range extender is attached to the outside of the building. If I take the laptop outside I can connect to it wirelessly -- sometimes I have an internet connection and sometimes I do not.

I can connect wirelessly to the AP600 access point on the house with the laptop from the same outside location and I consistently have an internet connection.

It seems the key is getting that signal into the shop, and neither device (SR300 nor 600EX range extender) seem to be able to do it. I suppose both of them could be bad, Seems Amped Wireless does not come up among the Top 10 on anyone's list.

Frankly, I don't know if a range extender is the same as a repeater.

Perhaps my thinking of the outdoor antenna being like a radio antenna is faulty, but what I envision is a signal that is being broadcast from the access point to the antenna and then that antenna sends the signal via coaxial cable to a device that should allow me to connect to the access point when I am inside the shop, either wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable.

frumper15
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm

The fact you cannot see the home AP signal or the SR600 signal inside the shop tells me that you're going to need to get inside the shop over an ethernet wire to another device inside that will create another wireless network for you - as mentioned before you can name it the same and the same security credentials should allow for the least required configuration of any of your wifi devices.

The fact that the SR300 doesn't seem to work at all and the SR600 seems to be unreliable I would probably get a pair of these to at least get things working (only issue might be non-weatherproofness: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... B01N5RCZQH

Or these seem like they could work in a pair between the house and outside of the shop and then you could use the AP on the house inside the shop: https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-directi ... B007ZDC64I or these: https://www.amazon.com/KuWFi-Wireless-w ... B07F3749S1

MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:04 pm

If we think of your house's wireless connection as the HOST, and the barn/shed as the CLIENT, you absolutely have to go into the CLIENT's config and set it to connect to the HOST. I do exactly this to connect my upstairs and downstairs. I like MAC address filtering/ACLs in this case - you can make it so the APs don't talk to anything but themselves. If you just want to plug your laptop into ethernet inside the shed, then you just need to get an ethernet cable through the wall to the CLIENT outside the shed. If you also want wireless inside the shed, and the HOST-CLIENT is basically acting as a point-to-point bridge (which is how I would set it up, most likely), you would need another AP inside the shed, and maybe a small switch. Running a cable is (almost) always preferred to a wireless link, but wireless can be very effective (sometimes). I've had my best luck with Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC variants as HOST, and in my case, I'm using old Dlink DAP-2553 Wireless N as the CLIENT. It does 5 GHz and 802.11n so good enough for "managing" the homelab in the garage. I MUST go into the Dlink config and tell it which wireless network to connect to, just like you would do with your laptop or phone.

Plus what frumper just wrote. +1
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Just doing some mental rubber duck-ing here: Have you tried looking at the AP settings? the one that is in your house? Try troubleshooting each piece of the puzzle in order.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 pm

People more knowledgeable than me here so I'll leave the technical stuff to them since I feel they're on the right track.

***But the FIRST thing to do is eliminate all the distance and interference variables and set up all this equipment in the same room of your house. If it doesn't work when all the devices are within 10 feet of each other, then you know you've either got a defective component in the chain, or you're not setting something up properly.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 am

I very much appreciate all of the thoughts and advice. The desire to have internet access to the shop stems, in part, out of wanting to monitor it from a remote location. I am running up against the clock as we get prepared to head off to that remote location. I had only 8 months to figure this out, and of course ...

I suppose I could bite the bullet and actually pay a professional to do this. :o

jim

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 am

Just gonna say that their products are not the most documented ones, so that is a bit annoying. Sounds like you have the right components, but it feels like they're not configured, or sounds like it. As a rule of thumb these devices seem to follow this pattern:

1. Connect to the wifi network (SSID) named "Amped_SR" (or through Ethernet directly)
  2. Browse to http://setup.ampedwireless.com or 192.168.1.240
  3. Configure!

I would really start with the AP at your home: "Amped Wirleless 600EX Pro Access Point" (Think it's the High Power Wireless-N 600mW Pro Access Point according to their site) There's no configuration guide for it, and Amped says it sets up automatically - I find that statement to be full of bull, at least you need to set up what wireless SSID you'll be broadcasting out. This is a very good place to start!

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 am

DPete27 wrote:
People more knowledgeable than me here so I'll leave the technical stuff to them since I feel they're on the right track.

***But the FIRST thing to do is eliminate all the distance and interference variables and set up all this equipment in the same room of your house. If it doesn't work when all the devices are within 10 feet of each other, then you know you've either got a defective component in the chain, or you're not setting something up properly.

Very much this!

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am

Another suggestion is to use a wireless link.

It would look like this:

Internet - (home router - host side link) - (remote side link - inside access point)

The first bracketed set is inside your house and the host side of the link is mounted to the side of your house and is pointing at your outbuilding.

the second set has the remote link mounted to your outbuilding and is pointed at the host link and has a cable leading inside your outbuilding to another wireless access point.
note wireless access point is NOT a router or is not acting as a router.

You would use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-directi ... ent+bridge
(just an example i'm not telling you use this particular system)

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:17 am

oh I'd like to add that the AP inside your outbuilding can use the same ssid and password just put it on a different channel than the one in your house.

If you do that your devices will switch from one part of your network to another seamlessly and you won't drop your connection.

roncat
Gerbil

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 am

JimPerry wrote:
I very much appreciate all of the thoughts and advice. The desire to have internet access to the shop stems, in part, out of wanting to monitor it from a remote location. I am running up against the clock as we get prepared to head off to that remote location. I had only 8 months to figure this out, and of course ...

I suppose I could bite the bullet and actually pay a professional to do this. :o

jim

245 ft is a challenge for an omni-directional antenna. You mentioned you get a laptop connection from near the out-building... sometimes. Do a speed test with your laptop at the out-building, and if it is a fraction of the speed you see in the main building, then the distance is just too much for the equipment you have. You would likely need a directional antenna (or just run a cable, like someone mentioned).

Short antennas (a few inches long) are more omni-directional, as the signal strength is about the same 360 degrees around the antenna. Longer antennas (>12 inches, advertised as high gain) are much more directional, but you have to aim them just right.

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Aranarth wrote:
oh I'd like to add that the AP inside your outbuilding can use the same ssid and password just put it on a different channel than the one in your house.

If you do that your devices will switch from one part of your network to another seamlessly and you won't drop your connection.

I believe I have exactly what you described in your previous message. Perhaps look at my original message, summarized here as:

[modem/router - Ethernet cable - access point on outside of house] [smart repeater/range extender on outside of building -Ethernet cable - wireless Smart repeater inside of building PLUS hi power antenna on outside of building - coaxial cable - wireless Smart repeater]

First set of brackets at house, second set on out building 245' away. Access point, smart repeater/antenna in line of sight.

JimPerry
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:42 pm

roncat, the antenna is a high power, looks like a white rod about 12-18" long. Amped Wireless talks about all of this stuff exyending the signal range is terms of miles when line of sight, not feet.

We live on an old dairy farm. The power is overhead supported by steel cables. Could an Ethernet cable be run along with the power line or would the field generated by the power be disruptive to what's going thru the Ethernet cable?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 am

JimPerry wrote:
We live on an old dairy farm. The power is overhead supported by steel cables. Could an Ethernet cable be run along with the power line or would the field generated by the power be disruptive to what's going thru the Ethernet cable?

It can be done. The first question is whether you own the poles, or the power company. If they own the poles (almost certain if they're also supporting distribution-voltage wires, or if the meters are at the buildings regardless of what the poles are carrying), then you get into a problem called "attachments" and will need their approval.

If you own the poles, then you need a messenger wire (thin, galvanized-steel wire to support the cable) and an outdoor, above-grade rated Ethernet cable, plus the ability to terminate it at both ends.

Clear those hurdles and it would be a relatively easy installation.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

roncat
Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 am

JimPerry wrote:
roncat, the antenna is a high power, looks like a white rod about 12-18" long. Amped Wireless talks about all of this stuff exyending the signal range is terms of miles when line of sight, not feet.

If you run the cable on the power line (touching), doubt it would work for the reason you mentioned. If you hang it 2 ft away (or more) on its own separate support cable, it should be fine.

An 18" antenna should work, but both antennas need to be aimed. Otherwise the "miles of range" are in the wrong direction, as the transmission beam for an antenna like that is kind of a long slender oval (kind of toroid shaped), not a big sphere. Hard to explain, easy to google, but the two antennas should generally be as parallel to each other. This | | not this / \

Antenna design (and placement) is complex, just ask the iPhone designers...

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 am

DPete27 wrote:

He's said he can connect just fine standing outside the shop, and he's got an antenna on the exterior of the shop wired to a repeater inside the shop. So either the antenna is bad, the antenna cable through the wall is bad, or the repeater is bad (or mis-configured).

Based on the troubleshooting he's already done, we know that the AP in the house is working and correctly configured, and that he's getting a strong signal to the outside of the shop.

Edit: Oh... I just re-read the first post, and there are two "smart repeaters" involved, one on the outside of the shop and one on the inside. This seems needlessly complex, with plenty of opportunities for configuration foul-ups. Seems to me what you really want is a "smart repeater" on the outside of the shop, and a simple access point on the inside, connected to the repeater via wired Ethernet through the exterior wall.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 pm

roncat wrote:
JimPerry wrote:

If you run the cable on the power line (touching), doubt it would work for the reason you mentioned. If you hang it 2 ft away (or more) on its own separate support cable, it should be fine.

This is something of an aside, but this is pretty important. Never run low voltage cables in parallel to high voltage cables for any length. Running a bare high voltage cable in the same cable tray as a network cable is a big no-no. To run them in parallel, one or both need to be in metallic conduit, not withstanding that high voltage lines should always be in a metallic conduit in any sort of commercial setting. Outside, overhead lines, not withstanding.

All that to say, stringing an ethernet cable along an AC power line is not a good idea.

--SS

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
All that to say, stringing an ethernet cable along an AC power line is not a good idea.

Oh, Henry!
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
This is something of an aside, but this is pretty important. Never run low voltage cables in parallel to high voltage cables for any length. Running a bare high voltage cable in the same cable tray as a network cable is a big no-no. To run them in parallel, one or both need to be in metallic conduit, not withstanding that high voltage lines should always be in a metallic conduit in any sort of commercial setting. Outside, overhead lines, not withstanding.

Depends what you mean by "high voltage." If his setup is strung like I envision it from the descriptions, then it's most likely insulated secondary feeds (600V class, actual voltage 120/240) from the transformer to both the house and the outbuilding. Obviously it would be very bad to try and hang the Ethernet from the secondary cables even if he does own them, but a separate attachment with physical separation, a grounded messenger wire, and an XLPE-jacketed outdoor cable would be technically feasible (can't speak to local codes, though).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 pm

ludi wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

Depends what you mean by "high voltage." If his setup is strung like I envision it from the descriptions, then it's most likely insulated secondary feeds (600V class, actual voltage 120/240) from the transformer to both the house and the outbuilding. Obviously it would be very bad to try and hang the Ethernet from the secondary cables even if he does own them, but a separate attachment with physical separation, a grounded messenger wire, and an XLPE-jacketed outdoor cable would be technically feasible (can't speak to local codes, though).

Mutual inductance between the two cables will impart a low power voltage of equal amplitude to the HV cable. The two cables are effectively a 1:1 air core transformer. In most cases the power is so low as to not be a problem as the efficiency at 50/60Hz is very bad and twisted cables are designed for currents to cancel, etc. However, just because its probably ok, most of the time, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of ways for someone to make a mistake that is costly.

Last time I was involved in a data center, our design rules forbid HV wiring from even sharing the same cable tray, even when run in conduit.

Back to OPs problem. This is a matter of working your way down the chain and ruling out each. Pardon me if you've done any or all of these.

This assumes that when you say you have connectivity outside you out building, that you laptop can connect with it's inbuilt antenna and that you can get to the internet. Speed doesn't matter, so long as the connection is there. So, assuming this.

First, take your smart repeater into the house, with its regular, stock antenna and make sure it is connecting to your network. I assume there is some way to get to the management interface of the repeater when connected to it via a wired connection. If this doesn't work, then the problem is something in the repeater.

Connect your laptop to the repeater wirelessly and verify internet connectivity. At this point, you will have confirmed the configuration of each link the in chain under "optimal" circumstances. This means that the problem isn't one of configuration of one of the devices.

Take the repeater to your out building, outside, with the stock antenna. Since your laptop can connect to your AP from there, and you verified that the repeater can talk to your AP in the house, the repeater should connect to your AP outside your building. Verify this. If it does not, then the repeater sucks. ;) It should be able to connect anywhere a laptop can connect using its internal antenna.

Assuming the repeater can connect with the stock antenna outside, connect it to the 8dBi antenna, still with the repeater outside the building. Does it still connect to the AP? Can you still connect to the repeater with your laptop?

Assuming everything works to this point, you've proven the configuration is good, and all the devices are good, and the wireless link is good. Now take the repeater inside the outbuilding. I expect that the ability to connect your laptop to the repeater will fail here. Looking at it, it is a dual antenna unit, but what that generally means is that the unit will select the antenna with the best signal, but only uses one antenna at a time. Meaning that if you connect it to the external antenna, all its signal will be outside an all metal build and none inside. I am assuming this is why you were trying to use the SR600EX outside, with a ethernet cable to the SR300 inside. This would be the "correct" way, but does add another device into the mix. If you plug your laptop into the SR600EX with it outside the building, do you get network connectivity?

TLDR: Make sure all the devices work when they are sitting in the same room with all the cables connected -- working your way down the chain. Then start moving things to the outbuilding.

--SS