Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

mikewinddale
Gerbil
Topic Author

POST diagnostic card

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 pm

So I've been looking for a POST diagnostic card that is compatible with modern hardware. A lot of motherboards have a POST hexadecimal display built in, but not all do. So I'd like to have a POST card in my toolbox.

Back in the day of PCI, I used a PCI POST card. But today, I've been having a lot of trouble finding a PCIe POST card.

I can find a lot of mini-PCIe POST cards, but I can't find a normal PCIe POST card.

I also can't find a mini-PCIe female to PCIe male adapter, so that I can plug a mini-PCIe POST card into an adapter, and then the adapter into a PCIe slot.

I can also find a lot of parallel port POST cards, but not USB.

And of course, if I use any adapters, they'd have to transmit the POST information, which I imagine is a bit hit-or-miss. So obviously, I'd prefer to avoid the use of adapters. But if an adapter works, then sure.

Since there aren't any PCIe POST cards for sale anywhere I can find, I wonder if maybe the PCIe bus simply doesn't transmit any POST information at all?

So does anyone know of a POST card that works with modern desktops? I don't urgently need one, since my motherboard has a POST display built in, but like I said, it's just something I'd like to have in my toolbox.

Thanks.

mikewinddale
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: POST diagnostic card

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Wait, I think I might have found one: https://www.amazon.com/YUNAWU-Diagnosti ... ostic+card

Almost every product labeled "PCIe", once I read its product description, it turned out that it meant mini-PCIe. But I think this one might be actual PCIe. And when I count the pins on the PCIe side, I count 7 and 11 pins, which matches the PCIe pinout.

On the other hand, the product description is still sparse and written in somewhat broken English, which makes me unsure.

And I found another: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

It too has 7 and 11 pins, like PCIe. On the other hand, the description says, "Type:M.2 SSD To PCI-E," which worries me.

Can someone else please look and see if they agree? If these are actual PCIe - and not mini-PCIe - then these are exactly what I want.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: POST diagnostic card

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:38 am

Both of what you linked are fine. The smaller adapter looks like it will fit an x1 (which basically mean any slot will do) slot. The one on the flip side is good old PCI. So it is a combo card.

Real mini-PCIe is like this, this is more like an everything combo kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Runshuangyu-mini ... 07JK4JGLM/
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.