Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

linda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Problem with vcore - pictures included

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 am

Yay, you are still here!!!

I don't want to buy a new computer, or build one. This is my Frankenstein. Yes, its pretty old.

Lately I have been getting VCore errors in red, saying zero from this tool.

I didn't know what it meant so ignored it, naturally. Today my screen looks like this:

And this pic is just for fun.

I have a Corsairvx550w, EVGA GTX 460, and an Asus MB. I;m pretty sure the monitor is fine, but I can swap it if suggested. I think I can swap the Corsair and GC to test, but then I wonder if maybe my older power supply wont run the GC.

Any ideas?

roncat
Gerbil

Re: Problem with vcore - pictures included

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm

The power supply looks OK, but your motherboard CPU voltage regulator could be failing (or it's time to reseat the CPU).

linda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Ew to both answers. So I might need a new MB? My cpu is i5 3570 3.4 Gh.. Maybe its time for a new mb and cpu set? Of course I will try to reset the cpu first, but just wondering... If I upgrade, would I need a better PS? I know I'm overdue for a new graphics card.

See what happens when a computer hiccups? All sorts of new opportunities arise!

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

I don't see anything wrong in photo #2 (other than Photobucket :(). If there are voltage problems you'd expect crashes and such. What's the actual problem?

Also try another hardware monitor, like HWiNFO.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 pm

If the tool is reporting vcore errors but the system otherwise seems to be operating normally, the problem is likely with the tool, or with the voltage sensor it is getting its data from.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:26 pm

meerkt wrote:
I don't see anything wrong in photo #2 (other than Photobucket :(). If there are voltage problems you'd expect crashes and such. What's the actual problem?

Also try another hardware monitor, like HWiNFO.

My best guess is that the display is corrupted, but the OP tried taking a screenshot from within Windows which captured a clean image from the internal frame buffer. The only way around that is to take a picture with a camera.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

linda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am

The first picture only shows the tool when no error is occurring.
When the error occurs, a popup window tells me error, vcore 0.0. But I had not noticed any difficulty so I just ignored it.

The second picture really shows the error. It is hard to see, because the lines running horizontally are ble and green but it's supposed to be a solid color
My display is there, but there are breaks across the screen. Horizontal breaks. If I run my mouse over it, it sort of fills in properly, but very slowly and not always.

I updated my nvidia drivers and immediately crashed blue screen win10, stop code page fault in nonpaged area. File that triggered it win32kbase.sys

I was able to go back to another driver, and I checked all the wires making sure everything is snug.
Anyone know what hardware seems to be faulty? The tool is ok, I think a piece of hardware is going bad...

Thanks for helping!

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 am

Still not sure how exactly the problem manifests, but the order of things to try seems to be:

* Without the Nvidia graphics card (and then maybe in a different slot?).
* PSU - if an alternative one is available.
* RAM - MemTest86, then try single modules, and in different slots.
* Motherboard.

linda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Well, I guess it was the graphics card. I swapped out the 460 and put in a 310.

Thanks for the help, and ty for the HW tool!