Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Awesome battery technologies to look forward to

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 am

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/new ... er-the-air

I can't wait to have a Ryden battery in my smartphone!

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/smartph ... ion-future

Unbelievably cool facts in the above article. Like Lithium accounts for only 2% of a Lithium-ion battery. And Sony will be shipping Lithium-sulfur batteries in 2020 with almost 5 times (https://oxisenergy.com/) Lithium-ion's battery capacity. Woohoo!!!

End User

Re: Awesome battery technologies to look forward to

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:06 am

"but using lasers..."

"the future of batteries..."

"Scientists at Rice University..."

"Graphene batteries have the potential..."

"A paper published by Toyota scientists..."

"A research team..."

"Great minds..."

"that could soon change..."

"Hopefully..."

"pose a great possibility ..."

"There's no word on..."

"Currently they are expensive to make..."

"Although it's not likely to be commercially available for some time..."

"But..."

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:59 am

"Soon" ™

Awesome new battery tech is only one step closer to reality than the promise of working fusion reactors. Proving that a concept is acually possible and making it viable enough to replace the incumbent technology are two very different things.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Redocbew

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:09 am

...and that's assuming Apple, Samsung, and others wouldn't just make the device X amount thinner with the same overall capacity.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:54 am

Intel Technology Journal, 2002:
"Extreme Ultra-Violet (EUV) lithography is being developed for 45nm generation integrated circuits. There has been excellent progress on EUV lithography in the past two years. The feasibility of manufacturing EUV optics has been demonstrated. EUV masks have been produced by several mask shops. EUV resists are available, since DUV resists are capable of EUV imaging. The EUV LLC (Limited Liability Company) has demonstrated that all the components of EUV technology can be integrated into a fully functional, 0.10NA, prototype EUV exposure tool (Figure 7), which can pattern 70nm features (Figure 8 ). The success of the prototype tool demonstrates that sub-50nm lithography will be possible with first-generation, production EUV exposure tools and that ~20nm lithography should be possible with second-generation EUV tools."
http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys312/workshops/w10c/chips/vol6iss2_art06.pdf
(also take a look at graphs and tables which show progress by the year)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 am

Redocbew wrote:
...and that's assuming Apple, Samsung, and others wouldn't just make the device X amount thinner with the same overall capacity.

I think we reached 'peak-thin' in 2017 or 2018. Smartphones, laptops, and tablets became so thin that people stopped caring about thickness and weight - they started caring about fragility and comfort in the hand.

2019 is all about bezel-free, I think, and that's going to need some thickness in order to remain holdable in your hand. So, for now (at least), device and battery anorexia is on hold.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:32 am

The "form over function" idiots at Apple took improvements in battery thickness and weight to make the back of my iPhone 8+ out of heavier, thicker and more fragile glass in place of durable plastic or composite. :roll:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The "form over function" idiots at Apple took improvements in battery thickness and weight to make the back of my iPhone 8+ out of heavier, thicker and more fragile glass in place of durable plastic or composite. :roll:

I would say that the "idiots" at Apple made that decision to boost their Apple Care revenue...

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:08 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
"Soon" ™

Awesome new battery tech is only one step closer to reality than the promise of working fusion reactors. Proving that a concept is acually possible and making it viable enough to replace the incumbent technology are two very different things.

https://www.engadget.com/2015/12/18/son ... batteries/

My bets are on Sony. They brought Lithium-ion batteries to market in 1991 and I don't see why they won't be able to make history again.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:14 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

And enable wireless charging...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:22 am

I'd be thrilled to trade another mm of thickness and a little more weight for better battery life. Instead we get the "let's make everything as thin as possible, eliminate headphone jacks and memory card slots, etc." trend. :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

liquidsquid

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am

Something I have railed against for some time. Along with your phone purchase usually comes a case to protect the fragile little device. A big far Otter case usually. Why not instead make the phone the size and ruggedness of the Otter case and shove in a nice battery and a decent set of antennas with room to spare?

Oh wait, that would be "ugly" and likely cost less and perceived value would be lower.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:49 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Enable wireless charging...
That’s an argument against aluminum or magnesium, but not against non-conductive plastics and composites (or even wood).
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'd be thrilled to trade another mm of thickness and a little more weight for better battery life. Instead we get the "let's make everything as thin as possible, eliminate headphone jacks and memory card slots, etc." trend. :roll:

Then just don't buy the phone's that do that. I hear LG has some good offerings these days.
JustAnEngineer wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Enable wireless charging...
That’s an argument against aluminum or magnesium, but not against non-conductive plastics and composites (or even wood).

That's a good point. Can you get the same strength out of the same thickness on plastic vs glass? My materials science classes were way too long ago.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:41 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Why not instead make the phone the size and ruggedness of the Otter case and shove in a nice battery and a decent set of antennas with room to spare?

But but but but how would we prove our individuality by choosing just the right case?
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B