Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Nest Camera Experiences - Bandwidth for 10+ Devices?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:22 pm

I'm working on an issue that Nest support has been less than helpful about. I've posted to their user forums for additional community help but I saw a few tumbleweeds for responses to most inquiries. I thought someone here has had some experience with them and could help.

I stupidly helped install Unifi access points at a clients house (owner of one of the business we do work for). About a month later they had their home automation people come in and, without any consultation with me, installed 13 nest cameras and a couple nest doorbells. Possibly more actually.

The client complains that it can sometimes take time to bring up the cameras and one time a guest was standing at the door for 5 minutes until the ring finally came through.

Their ISP is a wireless provider and they tend to get around 44.3 Mbps down and 3.2 Mbps up.

According to this article: https://nest.com/support/article/How-mu ... ello-video the doorbell should take up a little over a third of the upload, but I'm not sure if that means only when viewing the single camera on the phone or all the time. So theoretically, if I had 3 doorbells would I exceed the upload. Anyone have any experience with sizing nest deployments to ISP upload or any real world experience with responsiveness of the devices?

Nest support also steered me away from the typical speed test sites and told me the speedof.me was accurate. Regular speed test sites put the upload/download to be equal at around 50 Mbps, a huge difference!
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Nest Camera Experiences - Bandwidth for 10+ Devices?

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 pm

When your camera uses bandwidth to stream video

How often your camera is using the bandwidth listed above depends on whether you have a Nest Aware subscription.

With Nest Aware: Whenever your camera is turned on, it’s uploading video and using bandwidth. This lets Nest’s advanced cloud-based algorithms record your video history for you and send intelligent notifications like Person alerts.

Without Nest Aware: Your camera will only upload video to the Nest service when someone’s watching live footage on a phone, tablet, or computer. Otherwise, even when it’s turned on, your camera won’t be uploading video. However, it does use a small amount of bandwidth to upload snapshots of recent activity to Sightline and send notifications.

So, can the view video history? If so, they are uploading continuously. If not, only when being viewed. Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like they are uploading continuously. No amount of magic is going to allow 15+ cameras to upload over a 3Mbps link. They must not be using any other networking devices in the house though as even web browsing would be painful due to the upstream congestion.

See my post from today on upgrading my internet connection... They need more bandwidth. A LOT more.

--SS

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Nest Camera Experiences - Bandwidth for 10+ Devices?

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:06 pm

I reached out to ask if they had Nest Aware and apparently they do, so that would help explain the issues. Now to convince the installer.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.