Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

awakeningcry
Gerbil
Topic Author

PC Issue - turning off after startup

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 pm

My last 2 custom builds have lasted 7 years. My current PC is about 4-and-a-half years old and has recently started turning off 5-10 seconds after I power on BUT will stay on all day if I immediately turn it back on. Have given it a thorough clean with the air duster and unplugged unnecessary peripherals, to no avail. Should I just put up with it until I decide to upgrade??

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Re: PC Issue - turning off after startup

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Are there any errors in the Event Viewer?
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Sounds like a PSU problem to me. If you replace it with a decent one, you should be able to carry the new PSU over to your next build, when that eventually happens.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

awakeningcry
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks. my CPU is an Intel i3-4330. Will have to wait a bit for the upgrade tho... have been unemployed quite a while. Hey, maybe it's overuse - wouldn't be on the computer so much if I had a job!!!

llisandro
Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Ditto the PSU.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Reseat everything if you can too. Marginal problems like this are just as likely to be a loose connection somewhere as they are to be faulty hardware.

Poweroff on a cold boot but success the second time around sounds to me as if the normal boot settings are unstable and you're booting in BIOS safe settings/defaults the second time round. Depends on your motherboard and BIOS to a large extent but I've definitely seen the "oops the normal settings failed, let's try again with safe defaults" behaviour from a lot of boards. It's often called boot guard or similar in the UEFI.

Could be failing motherboard/PSU/RAM or it could just be a misaligned pin in the CPU socket or poor power delivery to something.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Might not hurt to replace the BIOS battery as well.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

toki
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:41 pm

I actually have the same problem as well. The PSU isn't that old, maybe a 2 or 3 yrs old. Everything else is new. I get an error code of 24 on the board. Gigabyte ax370 gaming 5. I tried looking at the events viewer when I first got the board, but could never actually figure out how to fix it. EVENTID: 10016 and none of the various fixes I tried actually fixed the problem.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:26 am

BIOS battery is a good one I'd forgotten about. If your PC has spent a lot of time powered off in the last few years, that's quite likely.

Another culprit for this is if it happens after a BIOS update or graphics card change - The motherboard can't successfully UEFI boot so it gives up, reboots and reverts to a legacy boot. Auto setting usually tries UEFI first, test it by changing to legacy boot and see if it works first time every boot after that.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Shane Haumpton
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:56 am

awakeningcry wrote:
My last 2 custom builds have lasted 7 years. My current PC is about 4-and-a-half years old and has recently started turning off 5-10 seconds after I power on BUT will stay on all day if I immediately turn it back on. Have given it a thorough clean with the air duster and unplugged unnecessary peripherals, to no avail. Should I just put up with it until I decide to upgrade??

This also happened to my pc and the cause was my faulty psu. Because of this my ram also become defected.

RYDERTY
Gerbil In Training

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Reseat everything if you can too. Marginal problems like this are just as likely to be a loose connection somewhere as they are to be faulty hardware.

Poweroff on a cold boot but success the second time around sounds to me as if the normal boot settings are unstable and you're booting in BIOS safe settings/defaults the second time round. Depends on your motherboard and BIOS to a large extent but I've definitely seen the "oops the normal settings failed, let's try again with safe defaults" behaviour from a lot of boards. It's often called boot guard or similar in the UEFI.

Could be failing motherboard/PSU/RAM or it could just be a misaligned pin in the CPU socket or poor power delivery to something.

Thanks. my CPU is an Intel i3-4330. Will have to wait a bit for the upgrade tho... have been unemployed quite a while. Hey, maybe it's overuse - wouldn't be on the computer so much if I had a job!!!
Last edited by RYDERTY on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Keep the PC on 24/7. Let it sleep when idle. Won't have to wait for it to boot unless you really have to.

adamto99
Gerbil In Training

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Keep the PC on 24/7. Let it sleep when idle.audacity temp mail origin Won't have to wait for it to boot unless you really have to.

exactly, thanks bro
Last edited by adamto99 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

Agree with this. Sometimes a "faulty PSU" is just a corroded connection somewhere. Removing and reseating the CPU and RAM would fix this by just scratching the corrosion off during the process. Back in the day, we used to use a pencil eraser to clean the RAM connector...