Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

IBM 770 circuit diagrams

Sun May 19, 2019 6:20 pm

So I'm trying to revive this 770 (when I got it I didn't realized there were blown capacitors) - does anyone know where you can get the circuit diagrams for these old laptops? :)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: IBM 770 circuit diagrams

Sun May 19, 2019 6:56 pm

You don't need a circuit or PCB diagram to replace bad caps. Just look up the caps based on their markings and find a similar substitute.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

qmacpoint
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 7:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
You don't need a circuit or PCB diagram to replace bad caps. Just look up the caps based on their markings and find a similar substitute.

That's true - but before I get neck deep on that, I was wondering if there are damaged traces, or similar problems that may happen. Plus this being a super old machine, a diagram like that would help on maintaining it alive as much as it can.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon May 20, 2019 6:49 am

qmacpoint wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

That's true - but before I get neck deep on that, I was wondering if there are damaged traces, or similar problems that may happen. Plus this being a super old machine, a diagram like that would help on maintaining it alive as much as it can.

You don't need a circuit diagram to spot damaged traces either, and high-density PCBs typically have 6 (or more) layers, so most of the traces aren't even visible; if there's an internal trace that has been blown by a short or over-current condition you won't even see it unless it got hot enough to burn through the PCB material.

TBH I don't think manufacturers have made circuit diagrams available for PCs since the 1980s. If what you really mean is just a placement diagram for the major components, yeah that may be available out there somewhere; but like capacitor values, that could be figured out by looking up part numbers of individual components.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am

qmacpoint wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

AFAIK laptops, even ones as old as that, only fail in a few ways you can do anything about:

1) Power brick or battery failing -- replace power brick or battery. For a late-1990s unit, the battery most likely uses 1.2V NiCd or NiMH cells and could be refurbished.

2) Electrolytic capacitor dried out, or swollen and leaking -- replace any units you can find, like-in-kind.

3) Through-hole solder joint broken behind a connector (very common when power ports were still PCB mounted) -- reflow the solder if the joint is cracked, repair PCB using TC buswire if it lifted or broke the trace.

4) Flexible cable broken internally -- salvage the part from another unit.

5) Component or subassembly not working -- salvage the part from another unit.

There aren't many options beyond that, even if you can decode some of the components. On equipment that old, there might be a couple through-hole fusible resistors that failed, but in that case the problem is downstream and thus see (5).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration