Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

jarder
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Massive increase in Single Thread Performance...

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:15 am

...for the Raspberry Pi 4

I was not expecting a new raspberry pi any time soon, but the bods at raspberry Pi foundation have released some interesting new hardware:
Here are the highlights:

A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU (~3× performance)
1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
Bluetooth 5.0
Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
Dual monitor support, at resolutions up to 4K
VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x
4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products

So the highlights seem to be a much faster CPU, faster IO, better GPU and options for more RAM. Looks like the 4GB version could give users a decent desktop experience.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Massive increase in Single Thread Performance...

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 am

Very interesting topic, but poor choice of thread title.

chuckula
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 am

Given the price increase, it makes some of the vastly more capable and compatible single-board Atom systems that much more interesting.

Here's just one example of a $35 Atom board that's still going to easily beat the Pi 4 at a lower price point: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... nchmarking
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am

chuckula wrote:
Given the price increase, it makes some of the vastly more capable and compatible single-board Atom systems that much more interesting.

Here's just one example of a $35 Atom board that's still going to easily beat the Pi 4 at a lower price point: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... nchmarking

Except the Pi has a massive community supporting it.

jarder
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 am

NTMBK wrote:
chuckula wrote:

And the Pi is much smaller, lighter, doesn't need a massive heat-sink, uses less power and doesn't need a custom power supply, has roughly the same CPU performance, has 4 usb ports and not just 1,

chuckula
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:51 am

NTMBK wrote:
chuckula wrote:

The x86 board has literally every single major Linux distro supporting it out of the box because it doesn't need a niche community to try to support whatever non-standard foibles (running ethernet over a janky usb connection??) are baked into a Pi.

So I would say it's a flat out lie to call the "community" of Raspberry pi huge compared to the "community" that supports the entirety of Linux everywhere.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 am

Been thinking of setting up a emulation cabinet for the rec room and both the Pi4 and that Atom board look mighty interesting.

I've built a RetroArch RasPi3 before but the input lag was terrible. Something like 8 frames or more, and it really threw my timing off playing platformers. The Pi4 should improve on the Pi3 just by raw compute.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:14 am

chuckula wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
chuckula wrote:

The x86 board has literally every single major Linux distro supporting it out of the box because it doesn't need a niche community to try to support whatever non-standard foibles (running ethernet over a janky usb connection??) are baked into a Pi.

So I would say it's a flat out lie to call the "community" of Raspberry pi huge compared to the "community" that supports the entirety of Linux everywhere.

Except that if you want to do typical Raspberry Pi things, it doesn't help you to trawl through 10 years of forum posts about 20 different Linux distros telling you to tweak 15 different config files.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am

chuckula wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Ahh, but keep in mind the intended audience. OS support is only half of the story when dealing with the "maker" community. There's a huge hardware ecosystem geared towards that crowd which has grown up around the RPi.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm

The Egg wrote:
Very interesting topic, but poor choice of thread title.

I think it's an attempt to horn in on Chuckula's domain.

To the topic at hand: I'm surprised to see the Pi4 come out early, pleased that it's such a significant jump in performance again, and am very pleased to see options for more memory, which was really more of a hindrance than processor power for using a Pi as a light desktop device. This brings me one step closer to replacing the desktop computers of every relative I have over the age of 50 with a Pi running Raspbian, with me as sole root, and telling them that now they can click on whatever the hell e-mail links they want. :evil:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
This brings me one step closer to replacing the desktop computers of every relative I have over the age of 50 with a Pi running Raspbian, with me as sole root, and telling them that now they can click on whatever the hell e-mail links they want. :evil:

Hey, wait a minute... *I'm* over 50! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
This brings me one step closer to replacing the desktop computers of every relative I have over the age of 50 with a Pi running Raspbian, with me as sole root, and telling them that now they can click on whatever the hell e-mail links they want. :evil:

Hmmm... Have you noticed any strange urges to forward chain emails lately? Have you started to have any bizarre cravings....just in the back of your mind a little bit...to open random email attachments and post totally off-topic and out-of-context responses to relatives' Facebook posts??

You will, JBI, you will. It's only a matter of time. All of us eventually succumb. :wink:

Edit: Link

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

This is a prescription only for my own relatives. They've regularly proven themselves to be stupid with computers. Strangers get the benefit of the doubt.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

This is a prescription only for my own relatives. They've regularly proven themselves to be stupid with computers. Strangers get the benefit of the doubt.

I figure, if I don't have to do your IT, you can do what you want. But if you come to me for support I get to set some groundrules. Sounds very much like what you're doing here.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Now that the NIC isn't hanging off the USB controller this should be much more usable as a little server, and I may pick one up after a couple of revisions. :)

I'm kind of surprised they jumped to an OoO core. 4 in-order proc is more then enough for what the RPis are supposed to be.

chuckula wrote:

I kind of figured you'd link to HardKernel's Odroid-H2 (https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/) with it's Celeron J4105.

Aren't the tablet Atoms, like the Atom x5-Z8350, kind of peculiar? They're UEFI/BIOS isn't quite like the normal x86 UEFI/BIOS, and they require accommodations, or something like that. I seem to remember them being Windows only for a while.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:26 am

Atomic Pi is interesting for what it is, but it's not really any kind of challenger to RasPi simply because it's a one-off batch of repurposed bespoke SBCs. When their resellers run out, that's all she wrote.

There are some interesting production x86 boards once you hit about 80 bucks though.