Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Seamus
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need gaming mouse--damaged hands

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Hello everyone. I've fought a kind of autoimmune arthritis for years (psoriatic symmetric polyarthritis). My hands work fine for typing but using a computer mouse can get intensely uncomfortable. The reason is that almost all mice are too narrow--if my palm has to arch and can't stay flat, then the mouse will become painful to use. The problem is when I pull my thumb in to touch the side of almost all mice, it makes the palm arch and ache.

I've looked for years. I can tell you some that are almost good -- some of which sadly are no longer made. The Logitech MX1100 wasn't a great gaming mouse but it was a pretty comfortable mouse for me. The Mad Catz Rat 7/9 and MMO-7 weren't very comfortable out of the box, but they could be adjusted to be--in the case of the MMO-7, adjusted in a way that wasn't intended, as the thumb tray had to be made to swing out and they tried to stop you from doing that, probably because RAT 7/9 models frequently broke there.

The problem with the Mad Catz mice was that they all lose tracking and die after a couple of years. Every last one of them I have had. There is some problem in their electronics.

The Func M3 was pretty comfortable except that the shaped rest for the little finger is too straight for mine and while my palm doesn't hurt, after a while my little finger does. The Roccat Leadr / Tyon are almost wide enough to be comfortable--also true of the Steelseries Rival 500 and the Elecom MMO Dux. If the Cougar 700M were a bit wider, or the M910 didn't slant down to the right...

Here are some models that are far too small / narrow for my hands and quickly become painful when I try to use them: Corsair M95, Logitech G502 (and I *really* wanted this one to work!--nice design), Logitech G700, Corsair M65, or the G.Skill Ripjaws MX780 (far too small!).

I've gone through a lot of computer mice and spent more than I like to think about trying to solve this problem.

Suggestions?

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Need gaming mouse--damaged hands

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:10 pm

I use a Mionix Naos 7000. I have fairly large hands, and I found many other mouses(not calling them mice!) too small and cramped. My only very minor complaint about this one is that gunk tends to accumulate under the housing up against the scroll wheel. Every now and then the scroll wheel starts to get stiff until I take the housing off and dig the gunk out, but otherwise it's been great. If that doesn't work, then maybe try one of those mouses where you hold your hand vertical instead of horizontal?

If there's no good alternative easily available you might want to consider finding a local makerspace and look into 3D printing your own housing. If you did that, then you could probably drop it on to whatever donor mouse you wanted. That's exactly the kind of thing that most people who like to make stuff would love to be involved in.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Veerappan
Gerbil

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Not saying it would necessarily work for you, but have you looked into one of the vertical mouse options?

I've used the bluetooth version of the Evoluent Vertical Mouse 4, as well as one from Anker. My issue was oncoming carpal tunnel, but they both did fairly well at keeping my wrist in a more natural position when using them. The Evoluent model has you rest your entire hand on the mouse, whereas the Anker still has you dragging part of your hand along the mousepad/desk a bit.

https://evoluent.com/products/vm4rm/
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-V ... 8006&psc=1

I'll say that the Evoluent took some getting used to, and probably wouldn't be a great gaming mouse, but the Anker is cheap enough to be worth a shot, and I felt quick/accurate enough with it at work that I'd at least be willing to try it for the games I play at home.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm

I was also thinking a vertical Mouse or a trackball. If you like it wide and flat, you can’t beat the old Razer Boomslang, but pretty sure they don’t make those anymore.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 am

..unfortunatly thumb-use for the left/right mouse-click:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Ergonomic-Pat ... B00008KWWF

These next two don't require thumb use:

..apparently awkward use for left/right mouse-click tilting while also moving mouse around:
https://www.amazon.com/Ergoguys-Ergonom ... B00II33N46

..apparently poor build quality with this next one:
https://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Ambidext ... merReviews