Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

How many devices can go through a USB 3.0 connection?

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:28 pm

I have a laptop and a desktop that I use with the same desk setup (including keyboard, mouse, headphone/DAC, dedicated microphone, card readers) all connected through a single USB 3.0 switch (i.e. think of a KVM but only USB). Now I'm trying to connect a webcam (Razer Kiyo) to this setup, however, whenever I try to "use it" (i.e. actually turning it on), I get a message that states that I don't have enough controller resources. Obviously this setup reaches the limit of USB 3.0 and for the time being I'm using the webcam connected directly to the eGPU. I already had to give up on a single eGPU connection to my laptop as USB3.0 signals may create some sort of EMI which actually makes the entire connection flaky, so I ended up having two cables now instead of one - one TB3 and one USB - but I would like to know if there is any alternative for me to connect this webcam to the USB switch. #FWP

PD: The DAC and card reader are connected to a Targus Dock that has a dedicated power circuit to the USB devices, and then the dock to the switch (I don't need the dock for its "docking" capabilities, just for its USB and dedicated power to the USB peripherals) The dock is connected to the USB switch afterwards.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: How many devices can go through a USB 3.0 connection?

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Did you check what's the reported power use of each device? Maybe that's just more than the hub can provide.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Try plugging the webcam to a different port on the laptop (assuming you have one)?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Try plugging the webcam to a different port on the laptop (assuming you have one)?

Oh that will work for sure (I have an MBP), I am trying to look for a single-cable solution (right now stuck at two). This is just a thought exercise, got me curious enough to wonder how feasible this would be

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Does the current hub/switch have its own power brick or is it port powered?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:39 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Does the current hub/switch have its own power brick or is it port powered?

The switch does not, however it does take an additional 5v power input through USB and it’s currently plugged in. It’s only the Targus dock that has that robustness or so to say

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 pm

It's very difficult to know how much juice you can reliably pull from a USB port on many devices. I recommend dumping your switch/docks/whatever and going with a single high-quality hub like this Anker 10-Port 60W model.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm

The Egg wrote:
It's very difficult to know how much juice you can reliably pull from a USB port on many devices. I recommend dumping your switch/docks/whatever and going with a single high-quality hub like this Anker 10-Port 60W model.

That looks great, but it wouldn't allow me to switch between my Desktop to my Laptop - I have not seen a device like that to be honest, which would resolve all this problem (maybe?)

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:44 pm

qmacpoint wrote:
The Egg wrote:

That looks great, but it wouldn't allow me to switch between my Desktop to my Laptop - I have not seen a device like that to be honest, which would resolve all this problem (maybe?)

Well....without knowing what your setup looks like, the functionality of your kinda-KVM switch, or exactly what you're trying to accomplish, it's hard to say. For the desktop, you could always put a USB extension cable upstream of the hub, and have the connection made wherever you're putting your laptop, so you can easily disconnect and reconnect. Beyond that I'd need more info.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Thankfully I had to do a Visio off this thing (because I was getting lost with the cables):
My idea is that with a button I can swap all the desk necessities (excluding the monitors) between my laptop and desktop with the switch itself (has a 2.5mm button that allows for switching between devices)