Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

StanleyJobs
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

CPU being eaten by Overwatch

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:07 am

Whats up, ive moved into my dorm and figured id bring my gaming PC with me for some fun. Once i set everything else and booted up to play some OW, I was greeted by the most janky looking, low res title screen which was really out of the norm for me.

I used to be able (used to as in literally 2 days ago) to run Overwatch consistently with everything on AT LEAST high. Ive chalked up the problem to maybe the graphics somehow being routed to the integrated GPU within my processor?

The models were on Low video setting, and the render autoing to 35% and the textures also being on low. Very strange considering that as i have said before, my PC would run everything on high/ultra without breaking a sweat.

Task manager says my GPU is flatlining with a constant 0% usage while my memory and CPU are getting absolutely eaten, so im assuming that somehow, for whatever reason, my GPU is being ousted in favor for the integrated GPU in my Processor.
Last edited by StanleyJobs on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: CPU being eaten by Overwatch

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 am

You can forcefully set which GPU you want to use on which app through Windows Settings.

You should also be able to see which adapter is being used by Overwatch in the video settings for the game. If it’s your iGPU then yes, you should be able to resolve that. However if your actual GPU is used there may be something wrong with it.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 am

Welcome to the TR forums. Going forward, any time you have an issue it's important to list all your system specs straight away, so we don't need to waste time with followup questions. Aside from that, did you actually reach your head around and make double-sure that it's plugged into the videocard? I imagine you would have, but you didn't specifically mention it, so maybe not?

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:12 am

The Egg wrote:
Welcome to the TR forums. Going forward, any time you have an issue it's important to list all your system specs straight away, so we don't need to waste time with followup questions. Aside from that, did you actually reach your head around and make double-sure that it's plugged into the videocard? I imagine you would have, but you didn't specifically mention it, so maybe not?

This is exactly what happened to a buddy of mine when he moved - except he has a Xeon I sent him without integrated graphics. He thought he'd broken his machine entirely when moving...turns out he was plugging in both monitors to the motherboard without thinking about it.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am

Waco wrote:
The Egg wrote:

This is exactly what happened to a buddy of mine when he moved - except he has a Xeon I sent him without integrated graphics. He thought he'd broken his machine entirely when moving...turns out he was plugging in both monitors to the motherboard without thinking about it.

I've seen it done too many times to count, even by people who are somewhat knowledgeable. Heck, I may have even done it myself once or twice while quickly switching between work rigs of different configs (and quickly discovered my error, but still).

Port covers (as I've seen for onboard DE-15 VGA in the past) need to start being used again. For instance, any storebought PC which is shipped with a separate videocard is doing the user a disservice by not blocking/plugging the motherboard video outputs. Also, any "gaming" motherboard which is almost certainly going to be used with a discreet card should come with them in the box. It's 10 cents of plastic.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Ohhhh that's a very good point. I am quite sure I've connected the monitors to the wrong ports in the past :P