Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Confused about Cooler Master Masterfan 140's included screws

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:02 am

I noticed that the screws included with the retail packaging were slightly too large to fit through the rubber holes without significant force, and they were too short to even extend through the rubber mount. Was this an oversight by CM, or did Amazon ship me a counterfeit one?

Backup links if the images didn't display:
https://imgur.com/a/CibCes9
https://imgur.com/a/ASCPV4p

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Confused about Cooler Master Masterfan 140's included screws

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:01 pm

IIRC those kind of oversized screws are so you can screw into the soft material of the 4 fan holes to affix a grill or to affix it to a case.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm

What is it that you are trying to do with the screws such that they aren't long enough?

Those look like pretty standard fan mounting screws to me. You screw them into the holes in the fan from the other side of the panel you're mounting the fan to. They only need to be long enough to "grab" when you tighten them down; they aren't intended to extend all the way through the holes in the fan. They're held in place by friction (like a wood screw), so yes the fit is going to be fairly tight.

If you're mounting the fan to a thicker panel or if you'd just rather use regular screws and nuts that's certainly an option; but in that case you need to provide your own mounting hardware.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah they look pretty standard to me also. I never really used them that much, because back in the day when this mattered more I often wanted some kind of rubber grommet between the fan and the case to dampen vibration and cut down on the noise. Now there's plenty of fans around that have rubber inserts at the corners which basically does the same thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.