Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

soundcard showing as unplugged

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Something happened when I plugged in a colorimeter and unplugged it. When I unplugged it, I could hear the sound of it coming out of the usb port on the front of the case, then after that, all the nvidia hd audio is now showing as unplugged. More importantly, my soundcard is now showing as unplugged and I can't get it to turn back on. The rear 3.5mm jacks aren't showing up, only SPDIF is coming up in sound. I don't know what to do. I've uninstalled drivers for graphics and sound card and reinstalled. That didn't fix it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: soundcard showing as unplugged

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Have you tried a hard power cycle (i.e. completely remove AC power)?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Thank you so much. Now I just need to know WHY it did it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:16 pm

So that fixed it?

If so, possibile culprits are inadequate power filtering or ESD protection on the USB port. If you caused a small power surge or gave it a small static electricity zap, that could've caused a hardware malfunction which could only be cleared by a hard reset.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:46 pm

it did fix it. I was actually thinking a driver corruption or some other weird shinanigans.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm

I have mixed feelings about this thread. On one hand, it's pretty cool that modern PCs have become so stable, we don't immediately reach for the power cord as a troubleshooting measure. On the other hand, things do lock up sometimes, so if you're asking for help and have NOT yet tried the power cord, then you haven't eliminated the obvious stuff yet.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm

ludi wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this thread. On one hand, it's pretty cool that modern PCs have become so stable, we don't immediately reach for the power cord as a troubleshooting measure. On the other hand, things do lock up sometimes, so if you're asking for help and have NOT yet tried the power cord, then you haven't eliminated the obvious stuff yet.
lol, that is true

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 am

I'm dreading my next smartphone upgrade since the non-removable battery will mean the only way for me to force a true hard reset will be to let the battery run all the way down. Popping the battery out of my current phone takes about 10 seconds.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:38 am

ludi wrote:

"Hello, IT, have you turned it off and back on again?"
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, MSI GTX 1080 TI, 1 TB CRUCIAL MX500, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:53 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'm dreading my next smartphone upgrade since the non-removable battery will mean the only way for me to force a true hard reset will be to let the battery run all the way down. Popping the battery out of my current phone takes about 10 seconds.

I've been reasonably impressed with the Google Pixel in that regard. Maybe once or twice I've had to do a forced reset using the button combo, but I've never had an issue that required pulling the battery to solve...other than replacing the battery. Which is good, since the front is glued together and does not come apart gracefully.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration