Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Corsair K68 Cherry MX red keyboard

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi, a few days ago I purchased a Corsair K68 Cherry MX Red mechanical keyboard because my now 6 year old membrain K30 keyboard stopped working. The backspace and spacebar where very worn out already and would stay in the "pressed" position.

Anyways this new keyboard is acting kinda weird and i don't know if the keyboard is messed up or if its just my PC.

So when I plug it in to any USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (Asus Maximus X Hero) the keyboard works perfectly in the BIOS menu however as soon as windows loads up it stops working?The LED lights are all turned on but the keyboard is unresponsive basically I can't even type my password to get in my pc.

Now the only way to get my new keyboard to work in Windows is to actually plug it into the USB 3.1 port. I know that USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 3.0 but why does windows only recognize it when it's plugged into that port and that port only?

If I plug it in to any USB2.0 or 3.0 the Keyboard is literally a potato.

I'm using my new keyboard to type this to you guys now so obviously the keyboard works. I just wanna know why it only works in the conditions I mention above.

Could it be because i'm still rocking Windows 7? Even if this is the case, I find that to be very odd. This keyboard is a simple USB2.0 keyboard according to Amazon. Hell it should even work on Windows XP.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Corsair K68 Cherry MX red keyboard

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:50 am

Sure sounds like some sort of weird driver issue. Beyond that, I have no idea.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:54 am

What happens if you plug it in after Windows loads?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Waco wrote:
What happens if you plug it in after Windows loads?

Nothing. The LED lights light up but the keyboard wont work. The keyboard only works if its plugged in to the USB3.1 port.

Do you guys think I should return it or keep it?

It works perfectly fine if its plugged in to the USB3.1 port but it's a potato if its in the normal usb3.0 or 2.0 ports. That said it does work in the bios if its plugged in to ANY ports.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Can you plug it into a powered USB hub on a usb 2 port? I can't remember when they upped the power draw on the different ports. That said it should work on any of them even as a simple hid keyboard

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 am

The keyboard works perfectly fine on my living room PC which is a windows 8.1 PC. I tested it on the USB 2.0 ports and the 3.0 ports and it works perfectly.

The keyboard only doesn't work on my PC. Unless its plugged in to the USB 3.1 port.

I doubt i'll ever solve this issue but my guess is that i'm using windows 7 on modern hardware like a 9900k and a Maximus X Hero motherboard.

Well at least it works perfectly fine in the USB 3.1 port haha. Thanks for the responses guys. Ima keep the keyboard it's not defective.

BTW this is the first time I ever had a mechanical keyboard. I must say that I been missing out all this time. I've used rubber dome keyboards literally my whole life. I'll never go back to those now XD

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:58 am

Yeah, once you use a good mechanical you don't want to go back to rubber dome. And the Apple "butterfly" keyboard is just a travesty.

I prefer the clicky (Cherry blue) keys myself, but the reds are nice if you prefer a lighter touch without the tactile click.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.