Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

rewertz
Gerbil
Topic Author

ASUS PN50 problem

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:48 pm

I just purchased a new ASUS 50 4300 mini pc and installed windows 10. I made sure all the drivers and BIOS were up to date. Every time I turn the computer off and restart it, it hangs up during the boot, right after the ASUS logo appears. The monitor and all connections are fine. I connected the ASUS to another monitor and the same thing happens. I'm thinking there was some issue with the Windows 10 install. I reinstalled Windows and it continues to happen.

Any ideas what went wrong or what I can do to fix the issue?
The answer to all of life's big questions is usually bourbon.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: ASUS PN50 problem

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Same problem whether you restart or shut down Windows?

Also, try to boot Ubuntu off USB to see if it's Windows to blame.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Can you boot into safe mode?

My experience is that cables cause half the problems. Try replacing the SATA cable, if you're using a non-M.2 drive.

Try a live Linux distribution like System Rescue CD to test the RAM, the hard drive, etc.

rewertz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:05 pm

Gents,

First, thank you both for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. When I grew too frustrated with Windows, I installed Linux and it seemed to work fine. I played with it for a bit and then went back to try and reinstall Windows 10. It wouldn't let me install it because of an issue with my SSD, so I cleaned the drive and then installed Windows and it seems to be working now. I think something went wrong with the initial Windows install and perhaps cleaning the disk and reinstalling is what helped.

rob
The answer to all of life's big questions is usually bourbon.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Yeah, sometimes if the disk has pre-existing partitions on it stuff can go awry during OS install. This applies to both Windows and Linux. Unless you are trying to set up dual-boot or upgrade an existing installation while preserving user data files, it is always best to do a full wipe on the drive before installing a new OS (or at least choose the option in the OS installer that creates a new partition table from scratch).

Glad to hear you got it working!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.