Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

tootercomputer
Gerbil
Topic Author

Hello The Tech Report

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:41 am

Wow, I used to come to this site on a daily basis, with daily updates on products, tech news, and so forth. The last few times I have logged on, I have noticed the same stories, like they are not getting updated. So how is The Tech Report doing? Has there been a slowdown in PC building (there has for me, my last major build was 20156 though I did upgrade a case, some SSDs, et al)? Thanks all. Nice to post after several years.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Hello The Tech Report

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:56 pm

The site was unprofitable, and as a result was sold. New owners don't seem to be interested in producing the sort of content that used to be TR's "bread and butter"; instead, it appears they've cut expenses to the bone to stop the bleeding. It is entirely possible the site can continue to limp along like this indefinitely, but it is just a shadow of its former self.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tootercomputer
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Hello just brewed it! I remember you from the heyday of this site. I also used to go by alex666. I used to get on this site everyday and made frequent posts (for better or worse). Don't have the luxury of time like I used to.

Too bad about the site, but it happens. Like the passing of all those great manufacturers of motherboards that eventually faded away. I know I don't follow PC tech like I used to do. The interest has waned, as has my visiting PC sites. I wonder if that has happened with others.

Well, I appreciate your response. I think I'll keep an eye on this site mmore closely, see what happens. I still check out PC Perspective, that site still has lots of life, was a Intel Gigabute mobo mod there years ago.

Take care.

marty

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The site was unprofitable, and as a result was sold. New owners don't seem to be interested in producing the sort of content that used to be TR's "bread and butter"; instead, it appears they've cut expenses to the bone to stop the bleeding. It is entirely possible the site can continue to limp along like this indefinitely, but it is just a shadow of its former self.

Kind of sad in a way, with all the good memories in the years following the split from Ars and everything. But I'm not super surprised, tech sites for techies are kind of a niche, and either you really need to go really hardcore, or diversify a bit, and I guess with less of the mass market appeal its competitors had it was bound to go sometime. At least Scott is seen a bit here an there in various interviews and stuff.

liar
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:18 pm

Aphasia wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Kind of sad in a way, with all the good memories in the years following the split from Ars and everything. But I'm not super surprised, tech sites for techies are kind of a niche, and either you really need to go really hardcore, or diversify a bit, and I guess with less of the mass market appeal its competitors had it was bound to go sometime. At least Scott is seen a bit here an there in various interviews and stuff.

No more Hannibal, no Caesar, no Damage or Dissonance... What is the world coming to? The site was sold, huh? Well, carp!
Sancte Isidore, ora pro nobis!
Caveat lector.

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi guys :)

I literally saw that the site was pretty much dead and decided to check out the forums..

Was looking forward to seeing an article about the new M1 chip from Apple and get into an old fashioned discussion but low and behold, there was no such story to be seen anywhere..

This might be my last post around here :(

Adi

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:00 am

adisor19 wrote:

You were more active in article comments, no?

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:06 pm

meerkt wrote:
adisor19 wrote:

You were more active in article comments, no?

I was. There are no new articles to comment on these days.. oh well.

Adi

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:48 pm

So increase forum activity. :)

tootercomputer
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:35 pm

I don't know what this site is about anymore. I have not built a system for a few yeras, but I could always count on this site for good hardware reviews. Not seeing that now. The articles are just weird.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:18 pm

This site is the Seinfeld of tech blogs. It's a blog about nothing.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:45 pm

That oughta be good. Seinfeld is highly regarded and very successful.