Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Unexplainable shut down/hibernation event

Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Hello, I have a bit of an issue with my desktop: I was away from the desktop for more than an hour and I left it running; when I returned, I found it in a semi-shut down state: the desktop was still on, the blue light (power) was on, but there was no signal to the monitor and the red light (for the drive) was off. It seemed to be in some kind of hibernation mode, although I have disabled this function, and it did not come back when operating the mouse or the keyboard, so I had to reboot. Question is: is there a way to check what happened with the PC while I was absent, some event log or something like that? (or, if someone has some ideas, they are welcomed). I want to find out what occurred in order to make sure that I can reliably leave my PC to do tasks while I'm away, without finding it in hibernation (or what the hell it was) when I come back. I use Win10 64 bits and the PC is a ryzen 3600 with 16 GB RAM, GeForce 2060 and uses a 1 TB M2 SSD as a system drive.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Unexplainable shut down/hibernation event

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:16 am

Sounds like a crash of some sort, not hibernation. If it happens again try pinging it from another system on the network. If it is still responding to network pings, my guess would be a display driver or GPU crash. If it isn't responding to pings, then the OS is likely wedged.

You may be able to find some clues in the system event viewer, but if the crash occurred without warning there won't be anything useful there.

I suggest you run a RAM diagnostic, just to rule out the possibility of flaky RAM.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Did this only happen once?

If you have a memory dump file, Who Crashed can help you analyze it.

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 pm

Yan wrote:
Did this only happen once?

If you have a memory dump file, Who Crashed can help you analyze it.

Yes, and it resumed normally after a reboot.