Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Computer making chirping noises

Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi!
My computer started making chirping noises recently. It happens when it's idling or when I'm just browsing. I don't know if it does the same under load as i haven't tested that yet. The machine is using ASRock B450M Pro4 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU and a Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO RT heatsink and the noise is coming from the CPU area. I determined it's not the fans as it happens regardless if the fans are spinning or not. Has anyone come across anything like that? What can be causing this? I was thinking heatpipes in the heatsink but is that even possible?

nejir
Gerbil In Training

Re: Computer making chirping noises

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:07 pm

The "chirping" sound can come either from a failing hard drive a bad power supply or a faulty audio connector.
When an HDD is failing it makes a grinding noise, but certain Seagate HDD makes a chirping noise and firmware fixes that problem.
Bad PSU, will cause some chirp too, but usually a low-frequency noise, the problem is some won't be able to hear this until it's too late like when the PSU goes out and probably taking some components along with it.
Another is the front audio port, for being lazy case makers using a single ground wire for both USB and the audio ports. To fix that, you'll need to do some modding on the front panel.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Roel Hackett

Taahid Lodi
Gerbil In Training

Re: Computer making chirping noises

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 am

The "chirping" sound can come either from a failing hard drive a bad power supply or the faulty audio connector. When a HDD is failing it makes a grinding noise, but certain Seagate HDD makes a chirp noise and a firmware fixes that problem.