Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

How to replace a dying secondary drive?

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 pm

I have two NVMe's and a 7 year old 1T WD Black HDD and now that old HDD is making weird "scratching" sounds and "whining" sounds. The drive still works but I know for a fact that it's no longer healthy so I want to get rid of it.

I mainly used it for old games, storage, and just random things.

It's drive (E:).

My question is what is the proper way to go about replacing it without having to format my entire PC? I already uninstalled all the games that were installed onto it and backed up any files that were important to me.

Do I just simply remove it and throw on a new SSD? Will windows "delete" the drive (E:) from the registry and see the new SSD as the new drive (E:)? I know this is probably a silly question but this is the first time ive had to deal with this issue.

Any helpful answers will be appreciated :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: How to replace a dying secondary drive?

Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:53 am

Install new SSD. Use the free trial of Macrium Reflect to clone the old drive onto the new SSD. Use Windows Disk Management to re-size the partition to use all of the space on the new SSD. Remove the old drive. Re-assign the drive letter of the new drive to match the letter that the old one had. Done.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:30 pm

It's not a boot drive, so just copy/paste all the directories and files from the root dir. No need to uninstall, and you can change drive letters from Disk Management.

If you want, you can verify the copy afterwards.

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:48 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Install new SSD. Use the free trial of Macrium Reflect to clone the old drive onto the new SSD. Use Windows Disk Management to re-size the partition to use all of the space on the new SSD. Remove the old drive. Re-assign the drive letter of the new drive to match the letter that the old one had. Done.

Ahh I already uninstalled all the games I had on the HDD i'm just waiting for the SSD replacement to get here. I also moved any photos/videos I had on it to my main NVMe (for now). Basically drive (E:) is empty now.

So do I just simply remove the faulty drive now and install the new SSD when it gets here? Or do I need to wait and install the SSD while the faulty drive is still installed then once the new SSD is recognized by windows I change the drive letter of the new SSD to (E:) and then finally remove the faulty drive?

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:59 pm

You don't need to "transfer" drive letters from one drive to another.
If you remove your current E any new drive can use it. And if both drives are connected, change E to something else, then the new drive to E.

Just run Disk Management, pick whatever volume you want, and choose whichever letter:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ive-letter

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:19 pm

Best case, Windows will conveniently forget that you had an E: after you remove the faulty drive, and re-assign the new drive with this "first available (again)" letter.

Worst case, do what meerkt suggested and re-assign E: to the new drive with diskmgmt.

No sweat.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

ElsaWhite11
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:34 pm

"
"meerkt" wrote:
You don't need to ""transfer"" drive letters from one drive to another.
If you remove your current E any new drive can use it even through computer monitoring software . And if both drives are connected, change E to something else, then the new drive to E.

Just run Disk Management, pick whatever volume you want, and choose whichever letter:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ive-letter

I don't understand .. but if I delete drive E with all the memory, how will the information be transferred to another drive?"