Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

What is the fastest way to transfer datafrom old to new system ?

Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 am

Hi,
I am getting a new Workstation i-7 12700 CPU & I have lots of data in my old system on many Sata 3, 3.5 inch 3TB HDDs & 3.5 inch 500GB HDDs.

I am not sure if I can just put these HDDs in one of the slots in New workstation & copy - Paste the data or not because of newer & different controllers in new system.

Good news is that there are plenty of latest ports like DP, USB 3.2 Gen2 & USB 3.2 Type C Gen2 on the new system but it has three 512GB NVMe and Three 4TB Sata 3 5400rpm drives. And I need to transfer data from old HDDs to these new drives.

So can you guys suggest the type of adapter cable that I can use to connect to one of these ports & old Sata 3 HDDs that would allow me to transfer data much faster by copy paste ? I am confused with all kinds of such adapters available in the market so I need your expertise.

Many Thanks

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: What is the fastest way to transfer datafrom old to new system ?

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 am

Assuming it's not RAID on the old system, there shouldn't be a problem to connect the old drives to the new system, one by one or all at once.

But doing it thru USB 3 won't be much slower for HDDs. External enclosures or docks are probably the way to go for 3.5", because they're powered. 3.5" HDDs can use up to 15W, or more.

Haven't tried this one, but it looks accessible enough:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sabrent-Extern ... 00LS5NFQ2/

I think there are also minimalistic case-less adapters that take power from USB, maybe using an extra USB cable for extra power.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:36 am

meerkt,
Thank you for those suggestions. No raid on old system so I will try your first suggestion first when system arrives in couple of days.
If not your other suggestion also looks good but is there something else that would utilize USB 3.2 Type C to get 10 Gbps ?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:51 am

dan99t wrote:
meerkt,
Thank you for those suggestions. No raid on old system so I will try your first suggestion first when system arrives in couple of days.
If not your other suggestion also looks good but is there something else that would utilize USB 3.2 Type C to get 10 Gbps ?

5 Gbps versus 10 Gbps won't matter when your source HDDs can only run at 1-2 Gbps.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:42 am

It's a stretch, but USB 10Gbps might matter in dual-drive docks, if using SSDs, and assuming the dock can read both SSDs simultaneously. :)

There are 10Gbps enclosures and I assume also docks. USB-C not required if SS+ (i.e., one lane x10, not two x5).

Or as Microchip puts it:
To avoid confusion and begin a new naming convention, in 2015 USB 3.1 was named USB 3.1 Gen 2 and USB 3.0 was renamed USB 3.1 Gen 1.