Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

computer suddenly turns off

Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:14 am

Okay, so I've had a stable build for months. I've done multiple day video renders. I've done gaming. Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. Computer ran perfectly.

All of sudden, today, I've had the computer shut down on me multiple times. So what happens is I'll just be using the computer normally. A side note, there are RGB lights on my GPU, my RAM, in my case, etc. And then the computer just turns off instantly. All the RGB lights turn off, all the fans turn off, EXCEPT for the lights on the RAM which actually stay on (cycling colors like normal).

Pressing the power button on the case doesn't turn it back on. I have to flip the power rocker switch off and then back on in order to power up again.

The CPU is most definitely not overheating as I'm watching Core Temp throughout my usage. I haven't measured my GPU but it's a very new card (maybe a month old).

Is this a PSU problem?

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 5900X
Noctua NH-D15
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI Motherboard (AMD AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, AX Wi-Fi 6, HDMI, ATX)
96GB RAM
4 10TB HDD
2 NVMe m.2 drives
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KL, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR
EVGA Supernova 1000 P5, 80 Plus Platinum 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-P5-1000-X1

Anyway, I have transported this computer multiple times lately back and forth from home to work. So I'm going to take it apart and redo the CPU, the GPU, etc. Just to take any disconnections out of the equation.

Thanks in advance! :)

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: computer suddenly turns off

Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:28 pm

So it may be the PSU. I grabbed an old 850W one from storage and the system seems stable with it. But I'm wondering if it's just the PSU that was the problem or if some other factor caused that PSU to fail because it's a very new PSU.

itsm6679
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:52 am

While that temperature seems a little fine I don't think it's your CPU overheating. I would start by digging into your Event Viewer logs. Start->Event Viewer proceed to your Windows logs and specifically look into the System errors. You might see something like "Kernel-Processor-Power" which could indicate low power on your CPU. Either your MB isn't providing the correct power to your CPU and you should update your BOIS or it could be that your PSU is going bad. Generally the latter isn't the case since PSU are built like tanks and last pretty long.

onlysublime
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:28 am

thanks for responding.

So I went back into the Event Viewer. I didn't see any errors under system. There were a bunch of information messages.

Under Summary of Administrative Events, I did see 1 critical error and it said "Kernel-Power". But I think this was my fault. I was packing up the computer to take home. I had initiated Shut down and then started unplugging everything except the power cable, with the hope of it powering off and then pulling the power plug. But then something was hanging and I didn't feel like plugging everything back in so I pulled the power plug.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 8

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2022-08-06T05:08:49.0477283Z