Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

NS2004
Gerbil
Topic Author

Best 21"+ widescreen lcd monitor!?

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:26 pm

Keepin it simple, all i'm looking for are people's opinions & views on what they think is the best 21"+ widescreen lcd monitor.

I will be using my monitor to game, watch dvd's & obviosuly leave random post's on site's & such ; ) I won't say money's not an object, but keep the prices believable!!

I've been looking at the "Sony SDM-P234B (23")," & also the "Samsung Syncmaster 243T (24")."

Here's some links: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... id=1404428

GAME PC LINK

Any help here guys would be great, as i need other peoples opinion's. Thanks

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:32 pm

Ack! I'll need a wide-screen monitor to display that URL.

Try enclosing it in BBcode like this:
[url=http://...]Click on this link[/url]

lorelevitt
Gerbil In Training

Samsung 243T

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:53 pm

I just bought the Samsung 243T. I found the best price to actually be from the dell.com site when they have their routine 10-15% sales. Just make sure that your graphics card will drive the 1920 x 1200 resolution.

I think the monitor is fabulous-- no defects. I picked up the Spyder Optical software and sensor to tune it up on a regular basis. While I installed the Pivot Pro software, I don't really see the need to rotate the display vertical (I've tried it and it works fine)- since I prefer to view two pages side by side. It really makes doing any reading/writing at the same time 1000x better. I'll have a browser open on my left and Word open on the right. Sometimes if I'm just reading, either PDF or WORD can display two pages at a time and its great.

I highly recommend it. And I think it has a 3yr warranttee.

Lore

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:40 pm

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/intellistation/t221/index.html

I loved this thing when I first saw it in popular science

With its 3840 x 2400 pixel resolution (QUXGA-W display mode)...

it's a 22.2" but should be good enough for you

power consumption ‹150W (typical)

:o wow...only typically below 150 watts..dang
can't find the response time, though so don't know how gaming would be

I saw one of these at epcot over christmas and boy is it beautiful

cost you a pretty penny though tiger direct

EDIT: just saw this
Maximum Refresh Rate 41hz

sorry my friend
anyway, have you looked at the MAC screen, that is pretty too

apple store

EDIT2: wow, that's 2 mac recommendations i've made this week....what's happening 8)

lorelevitt
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:08 pm

I bought 2 of the IBM T221's at work for a project. They were outstanding for viewing images HOWEVER at 3840 x 2400 resolution, most text was unreadably too small; and if you don't run it at the native resolution, like all LCD's sharpness is off.

I think its a great monitor to display XRAYs, MRIs, CAT Scans, etc. But in everyday use, we just couldn't use that high a resolution on a 22" screen. I happily traded them to another branch. (Additionally they only worked at full resolution with a couple of graphics cards).

The Samsung 243T that I have at home is far superior for "real world" use. Its got just enough resolution not to be useless at the native size.

Lore

NS2004
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:38 pm

All well & good my friends, but what is the samsung like for gaming & dvd playback!? Is the sony better as it has a 16ms response time, compared to the samsung's 25ms!? Does any monitor of their size come with composite or even scart inputs, so that we can hook up our games consoles!?

Again, any answers would be great! I am leaning towards the samsung as to all your responses, but i just wanna hear a few more opinions