Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Dreaddie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Help with IBM Infoprint 21 printer

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:52 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I installed an IBM Infoprint 21 laser printer for a lawyer friend. It's networked and shared on a Win2K server. 4 Win 98 and 1 XP client print to it. It's worked fine for months but now it won't print pdf documents. The documents stall in the print queue. Other docs like Word etc print fine. The problems seems specific to Adobe pdf documents.

I've restarted spooler, rebooted server, reinstalled print drivers on client and server end and no go. Even setup the clients to bypass the Win2K server and print directly using a tcp port I setup locally on each client - same results.

These same clients are able to print to a secondary Panasonic laser printer fine but they will not print adobe pdf docs to the IBM. When setup to print directly to the IBM a partial print happens, sometimes it will print 2 pages or so but then it stops. Sometimes a message will pop up intermittently, "connection reset by peer 10054" and the job will stall. Other times it will stall without any messages at all.

I've looked at IBM's site and MS Technet but have not found anything to help with the issue. Is this network related, PC related, does the printer need to be serviced or something. It's about 8 months old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:36 pm

Are you able to add memory to the printer? I know if I try to print a 10 page PDF, it gets only 1 or two pages out, then pauses, then goes again [LaserJet 1300]

Being out of memory is likely the cause of the problem. It takes too long to spool a page, so the computer times out. You should be able to edit the timeout setting in the more advanced print settings for that particular printer.

Even though it's worked for months now, it's possible that the PDFs they were printing back then were not as large, as seen by the printer, as the current ones.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Dreaddie
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:03 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
Are you able to add memory to the printer? I know if I try to print a 10 page PDF, it gets only 1 or two pages out, then pauses, then goes again [LaserJet 1300]

Being out of memory is likely the cause of the problem. It takes too long to spool a page, so the computer times out. You should be able to edit the timeout setting in the more advanced print settings for that particular printer.

Even though it's worked for months now, it's possible that the PDFs they were printing back then were not as large, as seen by the printer, as the current ones.

Thanks Mac. I just gave up on it. An IBM tech is gonna check it out for me.