Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

shank15217
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Dual Socket Xeon at apple

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Apple just released specs and order info for the dual socket core i7 based Xeons, check it out at apple.com. It would make these computers the fastest pc one can buy, 16 thread 8 core goodness..

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Dual Socket Xeon at apple

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Not worth checking, but I'm pretty sure there will be a number of manufacturers touting 2 socket Xeon systems with these in them. And as an added bonus, they wont have to run Mac OS!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 pm

General availability of Gainestown and motherboards is set for the end of the month. (Hmmm, two sockets, 9 DIMM slots per socket, 4GB per DIMM...) Of course it'll be interesting to see how many non-server apps -- Mac or PC -- can make productive use of even 8 threads, let alone 16.

Edit: fixed link
Last edited by UberGerbil on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

torax
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 am

UberGerbil wrote:
General availability of Gainestown and motherboards is set for the end of the month. (Hmmm, two sockets, 9 DIMM slots per socket, 4GB per DIMM...) Of course it'll be interesting to see how many non-server apps -- Mac or PC -- can make productive use of even 8 threads, let alone 16.

Looks like your clipboard had some remnants from another post :wink:

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:40 am

torax wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
Looks like your clipboard had some remnants from another post :wink:
Oops. Believe it or not, that's a Chrome bug I've been hitting -- if you right-click and use the copy menu, sometimes it doesn't do anything (whereas the Ctl+C keyboard shortcut always works). Still, I should've noticed when I pasted.