Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Time for new mouse...

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:25 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
Well I got the VX Nano, and now I'm trying to find the receipt. Skips horribly. Can't move it faster than a moderate slide without it flippin out (yes, its on a mousepad). No big deal, I knew it was risky!

You have serious issues with your setup some where then. Either on the surface (it being a mouse pad means virtually nothing) or on your computer. It performs the exact same as the Logitech G5 I have around. Neither of them skip.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:25 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
Well I got the VX Nano, and now I'm trying to find the receipt. Skips horribly. Can't move it faster than a moderate slide without it flippin out (yes, its on a mousepad). No big deal, I knew it was risky!

Cordless mice sometimes have an issue if the receiver is plugged directly into the USB port on a desktop system, due to excessive EMI from the PC itself interfering with the mouse signal. Before you return it (if you haven't already), try plugging the receiver into a USB extension cord and moving it a foot or two away from the PC.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:04 am

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
Get the G7.
Wireless, laser, and same ergonomic shape as the 518.
It's actually the perfect replacement.
Shows charge level, comes with 2 batteries, and nifty quick swap design too.

I agree G7 wireless laser mouse rules.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:15 am

My setup is fine, there isn't anything crazy about it. I will try fiddling with it though, move the receiver on the other side of the desk so its opposite my computer. I've never had good luck with wireless mice, and anything sub 'gamer grade' appears to skip like a school girl as soon as I move it faster than a casual turn in an FPS.

Anyways, everyone out there does have a different setup, so perhaps mine does and consistently has been harder for mice to track on for the last few years. I've been using a Corepad Deskpad for a few years now. It's great for lan parties, if you ever have to play on a surface with a sharp edge like a crappy card table or laminate tabletop it protects you from the edge.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I tried the VX again, it still failed to track anything past a medium speed scroll. Though, it did okay for a wireless small form mouse.

jonybiskit
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:49 pm

Steelseries mice are supposed to be pretty nice, although rapha, one of the best quake 3/quake live players in the world doesnt like his all that much. I personally would recommend you get a mouse made by razer. Though, you said you don't want one they are regarded by many gamers as the best provider in mice. I have one as do many of my friends and we pretty much all agree that they own. It's better than the mx518 I had before.
Incognito mode.
I gots an abs m1.

Runnen :3
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:14 am

I have never been a fan of logitech mice. Absolutely terrible prediction algorithm and they are far to bulky.

Razer mice on the other hand happen to be the best mice I have ever used. Saying that you don't want one because "I wasn't impressed the one time I did purchase their product..." sort of implies that the last product you bought from them wasn't a mouse. Remember, they are a company that makes mice best, any other item you had by them naturally it's not going to be as good as some other companies because that's not their niche. You should certainly give their mice a try. I recommend the deathadder or copperhead, personally.

Fighterpilot
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:05 pm

I have never been a fan of logitech mice. Absolutely terrible prediction algorithm

Huh....what? :-?

moriz
Gerbil XP

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 pm

i use a deathadder, and i really like it. it's really responsive and has perfect tracking, even after me abusing it for a year.

but then again, i'm pretty much the opposite of the OP. i set my sensitivity really high and use pure twitch motions to operate my mouse. i have no idea how well the deathadder performs under low sensitivity situations, though i do recall it was designed as a "low sensitivity" mouse.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:30 am

If you're still in the market, Newegg's deal of the day for this afternoon (after 1 PM, probably Pacific) is the MX Revolution for fifty bucks. It'll be the "Shellshocker" link on their front page after their morning deal expires.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:26 pm

i got my intellimouse 3.0 on friday but the cable guy comes today. ill give her a test run in tf2. i usually play at 1 sensitivity for sniping with 3 notches on windows sensitivity, no mouse accel, and whatever the standard lowest dpi an mx518 will go. i have a key bound to increase sensitivity for anything other than being zoomed in which is usually set to abotu 2.5-3 sensitivity depending on how im feeling. I have purchased an actual Razer mouse before, and it performed like all the other gaming mice, so performace wise i was not dissapointed. the one i bought was about $50 two and a half years ago. looked like a deathadder but i dont remember the name of it. in any case, it didn't last more thann six months, and the form was aweful for my hand. one of my friends used a habu, and hated it. this is reason enough for me to search alternatives. just because it didn't fit my hand doesnt mean they wont fit everyone, but i prefer to not spend money on them unless i get a first hand positive experience to counteract the previous.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Well it would appear that the intellimouse tracks decently, but it appears to have trouble tracking really fast movement. Up to a pretty fast scroll it works okay, but beyond that the tracking slows down and it almost feels like sensitivity is dropping. In other words, a fast scroll is more efficient than a super fast scroll, since the super fast scroll ends up moving less than the fast scroll. The MX518 has *slightly* better tracking. You probably wouldn't notice unless you rock the uber low sensitivity. The grips aren't very clawable either. They slant wihtout much of a flat retainer to grip with your pinky and your ring finger. If they were rubber that would be forgiveable, but being slick plastic, one slice of pepparoni/onion/mushroom/sausage/bacon/chicken on wheat crust pizza would make using that a nightmare (for me at least). The aesthetics are pleasing, the red underbelly of the mouse is a pretty neat look, most optical shy away from that retro optical look. The craftsmanship of the mouse leaves alot to be desired. The mouse itself feels quite a bit flimsier than anything over $30 should. The button clicks are very springy, merely dropping the mouse gently will trigger the right mouse button. Overall, the physical form of the device leaves alot to be desired. I believe I will RMA this bad boy and try another. This is kind of fun!

moriz
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm

hmm, claw grip and low sensitivity gaming? somehow, i don't think this combination works.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:42 am

moriz wrote:
hmm, claw grip and low sensitivity gaming? somehow, i don't think this combination works.

move arms for fast aim, move hand for adjustments. makes twitch sniping alot easier since its harder to overshoot and easier to make small adjustments. it does make tracking fast targets alot harder, but thats why i have a key that switches between sensitivities.

Today at work I had to replace a pristine mx500. I'll probably take this one home since it was deemed 'unfit' and we had to replace it. Ah, just looking at it makes me think of pre 1.6 CS days (somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5). I'll use that instead of the intellimouse that I hope to RMA in the next day or two here. That mouse was just too flimsy and tracking suffered beyond a certain movement speed.

cygnus1
Gerbil

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
moriz wrote:

move arms for fast aim, move hand for adjustments. makes twitch sniping alot easier since its harder to overshoot and easier to make small adjustments. it does make tracking fast targets alot harder, but thats why i have a key that switches between sensitivities.

I have a feeling that your 'claw grip' is picking the mouse up when you move your entire arm. And that's why they are 'skipping'. I can move every mouse I have in my possession as quickly as humanly possible, and I get none of this skip you refer to, unless the mouse happens to come off the surface.

You're using your mouse wrong if you're constantly picking up your arm, and you're probably going to give yourself a repetitive stress injury in your elbow or shoulder. Your mouse should be sensitive enough to cover your entire screen, or do a 180 in a game, with only wrist movements.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 pm

I have the Steelseries Ikari Laser Mouse. I like it quite a bit, and it has on the fly sensitivity adjustment. However, I prefer larger mice (got the Steelseries to replace an Intellimouse Optical that was years old, but my hand was cramping), and it does not really have a weird shape, but it is different. It does not take long to get used to. Supposedly has crazy high DPI or something, so that might work for large arm movements. (maybe???)

With a new system we got one of Dell's 5 button laser mice, and it's nice, too. Not sure who makes it (Dell's mice are often Logitech OEM), but it's fairly small (I use it with my notebook), and has LOTS of on the fly sensitivity levels (4, I think). If you like small and accurate, it may be worth considering. It's also ambidextrous, so no weird shapes or anything.

I usually use my mice on 3M textured mousepads (with wrist rest), so they never skip on me. Other opticals (laser or LED) have not skipped on me without a mousepad, except on some fake-wood desk surfaces.

Good luck!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:04 pm

cygnus1 wrote:
I have a feeling that your 'claw grip' is picking the mouse up when you move your entire arm. And that's why they are 'skipping'. I can move every mouse I have in my possession as quickly as humanly possible, and I get none of this skip you refer to, unless the mouse happens to come off the surface.

You're using your mouse wrong if you're constantly picking up your arm, and you're probably going to give yourself a repetitive stress injury in your elbow or shoulder. Your mouse should be sensitive enough to cover your entire screen, or do a 180 in a game, with only wrist movements.

Respectfully I disagree. I know some professional (as in they make money on it) gamers who move their whole arm when playing. It's not resting on the table at all. Even the elbows is sometims not moving. You can get some really fine control .You can also take advantage of the sensitivity for sniping because moving an inch could only be a couple pixels, so you can be very precise. A 180' should be about 3/4 of your available horizontal mousing surface, which might be upwards of 24 inches.

That said, I'm a huge fan of Razer. I have a diamondback, and had another one before that. I like the weight (light) and I'm somewhat of a whole-arm gamer (at least with fps').

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 am

I've had this bad boy the last few years http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=008&active_tab=overview :lol: It was $8, and I haven't had any problems with it.

I like a good quality keyboard, but for me a cheap mouse works perfectly fine and is comfotable. I just don't see what the big deal about those "gaming" mice are. One of my friends used to always talk about how awesome his razer was, then we had a LAN party and I destroyed him with my el cheapo one. :P YMMV of course.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM