Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

clapton924
Gerbil
Topic Author

Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 am

Hello,

I have a computer that I built about 2yrs ago and it has never given me any problems until recently. Randomly I will lose video signal and usb power when the computer has been running for a period of several days (always stays on). If I hit the reset button, the computer reboots, but I have no video or usb power...all fans spin etc. I have found that if I switch off the power on the back on my psu for a minute, and switch it back off, I can then get the pc to boot with signal and usb power like nothing is wrong. I have also been getting weird "overclocking failed" messages on boot after I experience the above problems. I'm currently using this pc, and everything seems fine now.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Asus M4A87TD-EVO motherboard
Phenom II 925 CPU
4gb mushkin ram
Tuniq 600w psu

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Sounds like the PSU is failing.

Edit: I've never heard of Tuniq before either. Off-brand PSUs aren't necessarily a bad thing, but some of them slap overly optimistic wattage ratings on sub-standard units so they can sell them at a "too good to be true" price.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Ari Atari
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Re: Strange, random, no signal/usb power problem

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I agree with JBI, I had a failing power supply that was causing problems that were fixed by turning the psu totally off then back on. You might not like it, but it's time for a new power supply.