Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Looking for a computer desk

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 am

Again a vote for Ikea. The gallant line is very versatile and you can literally set it up a million different ways.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 am

Looking through this thread... So much over priced crap.

Do yourself a favor and get a nice simple corner desk similar to this. -> http://welcome.com.au/shop/images/Flex%20Corner%20desk.JPG

I use something similar. Mine is rather large, so I actually have a foot or so of desk space on either side of my 42" monitor and it has lasted since 2006 with no damage.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:29 am

Personally I dislike Corner desks. I also hate my back to the door. So.......yeah. As for overpriced, the Ikea Gallant is very reasonable for just a base desk, around 110. It's only when you start adding different legs, extensions, cable management trays, etc. does the price climb. But then again that is what makes the Gallant attractive, you can build it to suit you.

cphite wrote:
The one problem I have with IKEA desks - based on my experiences with two of them - is that if you ever need to move, they're damn near impossible to take apart; but they're also not quite sturdy enough to move while put together, without stuff breaking or becoming misaligned.

/shrug, Mine has survived three moves. I have fully dismantled it and put it back together three times now. Its still as rock solid as the day I bought it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 am

Meh, I've had IKEA stuff that fell apart during moves, and stuff that held up to being reassembled just fine (a basic bed frame, for example). And then there's my desk, plywood and 4x4's...

Nacra
Gerbil In Training

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:34 pm

This is a desk I built. Very comfortable and nothing else like it. For to many people try to re-invent the wheel by trying to make a comfortable office chair. I am hear to tell you there is NO such thing. So instead of office chair use a REAL chair like a lazyboy.

I have no idea why this site will not allow me to post a link so I will have to explain.

I took a recliner chair and made a swivel base for it out of plywood and ball bearings. I then build a desk with V-shape rollers on the legs that roll on track that is attached to base. This keeps the desk in the center of chair and I can pull desk to me or push away to get up.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:15 pm

Nacra wrote:
I have no idea why this site will not allow me to post a link so I will have to explain.

New accounts are not allowed to post links to deter spammers.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.