Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

kerwin
Gerbil
Topic Author

The Great Mouse Hunt

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:39 am

I've been using a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 on my desktop for seven years and I think it's time for a change. After all this time, the middle click is still hard to press and it's finally starting to annoy me alot. I've been doing research off and on for a few weeks and I'm still not sure what to get. Here are my criteria:
  • Ambidextrous or left-handed design; good for a claw grip
  • I think I have average-sized hands
  • Must be wireless (RF or bluetooth) -- something that can be neatly and discreetly plugged into a USB port and be forgotten about, but I can live with a charger receiver combo if necessary
  • Good battery life / uses standard batteries (AA/AAA)
  • Programmable buttons would be nice, but not necessary
  • Good for gaming and general use; I usually play RTS games with an occasional FPS thrown in the mix

I've narrowed my list down to
  • Razer Ouroboros
  • Razer Orochi
  • Logitech m510

None of the stores around me carry the Orochi, but I figure it might be a little too small for me, and I'd have to get a bluetooth module for my machine. Not the worst thing in the world. The Ouroboros seems to be a very polarizing mouse -- people either love it or hate it. I've heard about squeaky clicks, connectivity issues requiring a restart...it's enough to give me pause, but the fact that it can be configured to be a left-handed mouse makes me drool! The m510 is fine -- a little plain, but I'm sure it'll do the job. Just seems a little cheap and flimsy looking.

Any long term Ouroboros users out there that can share their experiences? What's battery life like for general use? How close does the receiver have to be to the mouse? I always have a bunch of Eneloops lying around and can easily swap when necessary, so I'd like to keep the receiver out of sight if possible -- I have a Silverstone FT03 case (read: Maingear F131) that I could tuck it into if the range was good enough. Is synapse 2.0 really that bad?

Orochi users: How does this compare (size-wise) to a Logitech M525? Have you used this on a desktop, and if so, what bluetooth module would you recommend for it?

I'll also entertain any other suggestions for good overall mouse with a slant for gaming.

Thanks!

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: The Great Mouse Hunt

Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:29 pm

I picked up a M510 about a year ago. It is plain, but all I wanted was a good clickable scroll wheel and thumb buttons. It is definitely not flimsy. This thing has survived many enraged "That kill was BS" desk slams.

I like it a lot more than my previos Razer DeathAdder and Boomslang mice.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

kerwin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, David. Can the scroll wheel's left/ride side tilt be reprogrammed to forward/back buttons? Couldn't find a definitive answer on the logitech website.

Kougar

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:53 am

kerwin wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, David. Can the scroll wheel's left/ride side tilt be reprogrammed to forward/back buttons? Couldn't find a definitive answer on the logitech website.

Dunno about the MX510 but yes you can do that with a G500. You can also remap the wheel tilt to any keyboard button or macro.

kvndoom

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:52 pm

kerwin wrote:

Yarg, I guess my post got nuked with the site update. Yes it can be remapped to forward, back, and many other things.

A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

MEATLOAF2
Gerbil

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:34 pm

I would recommend the Logitech G602.

It's pretty decent mouse with pretty great battery life (not too expensive either) if you are looking for wireless. I keep mine in low power mode even when gaming since there is such a small difference in performance but a large difference in battery life. It's got a lot of buttons, could be a pro or a con depending, although they don't need to be used and don't really get in the way. Also it fits my hand quite well, it's kind of a large mouse.

Read the reviews on it if you want a more in depth analysis.

Good luck on your hunt.

EDIT: Also, I've dropped it from a few feet up several times (accidentally of course) and there isn't any damage, so I assume it's pretty sturdy.

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 pm

My 8000 has done good service for the last 8 years. Not quite ready to let her go just yet lol
GO CARDINALS!

kerwin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 am

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:
My 8000 has done good service for the last 8 years. Not quite ready to let her go just yet lol

If I could get another one I would!

kerwin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Much to consider. How do you all feel about the steelseries sensei wireless?

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 am

I know you said it must be wireless, but you should just get a Left-Handed Deathadder and call it a day.

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-m ... d-edition/
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 am

I had the brown furry kind of mouse on my mind when I clicked on this thread.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 am

I stopped buying Razer after their drivers started getting stupid and I'd had enough of their QC issues with my third (RMA'd) Deathadder. My Boomslang was an excellent mouse, but they clearly sold out at some point and went after maximum profits instead of maximum product quality.

The design of their current products is great but the execution and build quality have always let me down, and they seem to infuraite plenty of people in the user reviews still, so the possiblity that they've improved in the last 5 years is pretty unlikely.

I have no problems with any Logitech mouse, other than stiff middle-click functions on some of their older mice, but generally the build quality, performance, drivers and support are top notch.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I stopped buying Razer after their drivers started getting stupid and I'd had enough of their QC issues with my third (RMA'd) Deathadder. My Boomslang was an excellent mouse, but they clearly sold out at some point and went after maximum profits instead of maximum product quality.

The design of their current products is great but the execution and build quality have always let me down, and they seem to infuraite plenty of people in the user reviews still, so the possiblity that they've improved in the last 5 years is pretty unlikely.

I have no problems with any Logitech mouse, other than stiff middle-click functions on some of their older mice, but generally the build quality, performance, drivers and support are top notch.

I have a Deathadder from 2008 that is still in top shape after daily use for nearly 6 years. Surviving all day and all night intense gaming sessions, countless scrims and matches. I now use it at work as I bought a 2013 model for no good reason. Both have been flawless on my side.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 am

Yeah, that's QC issues for you. You get a good one and you're onto a winner. If you don't you have to suffer.

Creaks, misaligned parts, rubbing wheels etc are common enough that they feature prominently in user reviews and forums.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Off to General Hardware we go.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

kerwin
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Anybody out there like the Orochi and use it on a desktop? If so, what kind of bluetooth module did you get for it (assuming your mobo doesn't have built-in bluetooth like mine)?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 am

kerwin wrote:
Anybody out there like the Orochi and use it on a desktop? If so, what kind of bluetooth module did you get for it (assuming your mobo doesn't have built-in bluetooth like mine)?

Does it not come with a little bluetooth USB nano-receiver? If not that's pretty cheap because they're a dime a dozen.
I do all mine with a cheap CSM one I bought off amazon for £3. Works flawlessly with super generic windows-update drivers.