Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Replacing my Unicomp Keyboard

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I have a Unicomp keyboard at work, and as much as I love typing on it, it drives people crazy around me and I need to find something quieter, but I'd still like the same feel that the Unicomp provides. Does anybody have any suggestions on something close to a Unicomp but not so noisy? Also, volume controls would be a huge bonus!

Thanks!

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: Replacing my Unicomp Keyboard

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:02 pm

I've had a Ducky DK2108 with Cherry MX Black switches for almost a year now, and I love the thing. They make it in a few variations with different Cherry MX switches, so there are quieter versions than this. It has dedicated volume/mute keys about the number pad, but those are the only media keys it has at all.

Vhalidictes
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:56 pm

My understanding is that padded keys were made for old IBM keyboards to make them quieter. This guy did it with string (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNFceYOJFVc), but really any kind of per-cap padding would make that keyboard a lot quieter.

For getting a new keyboard, you'd want Cherry MX Black or Red. Browns will give some a bit of actuation feel without being too loud.

Krogoth
Gerbil Elder

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Pfft, some people cannot handle master buckle-spring race. ;)

You can try looking for Alps-switch keyboards which offer nearly the same tactile feedback as buckle-spring switches but are far more quiet.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 pm

I use the Type Heaven. It's fairly quiet, and responsive enough to be satisfying.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 pm

I have a Leopold with MX Browns at work. I works, and most importantly, the keys haven't started binding like the rubber dome Dell keyboards I had before it.

It's not as crisp as my Model M at home, and the pressure needed to actuate the keys is lighter. However, it's quieter, smaller, and it has a USB plug instead of PS/2. My work computer doesn't have a PS/2 port, which is why the USB plug is important.

FireGryphon wrote:
I use the Type Heaven. It's fairly quiet, and responsive enough to be satisfying.

I'd really like to try a Topre keyboard. The high-end Topre has keys that are weighted differently depending on how far away they are from the home row.

CeeGee
Gerbil

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:56 pm

I just came across this blurb for a new CM Storm NovaTouch keyboard that looks like it's using Topre's switches.

Unnecessarily dramatic marketing video here.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Head on over to elitekeyboards.com for something pleasant.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

naql
Gerbil

Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:31 am

I'm currently using a Deck Francium ten keyless with Cherry MX Brown and I love it. It is backlit, feels great, and has the multimedia keys via the function keys and FN button. I switched over from the Leopold compact with Brown switches and while I liked it I missed have the added features.

Check out MechanicalKeyboards.com. They have a pretty good selection to find one that you might like.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 pm

The best compromise between tactile feel and noise would probably be something with MX brown switches and O-rings. Blues are closer in feel to buckling spring, but may still be too loud even with O-rings (depending on the office environment). I have been fortunate in that my current office mate is also a mechanical keyboard fan, and the previous one had his headphones on all the time and didn't give a crap about the clicking of my keyboard!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2015 3:09 pm

I never have pulled the trigger on this, but my Unicomp is actually starting to die. It flickers on and off throughout the day. Has anybody had any luck finding a wireless mechanical keyboard?

phaxmohdem
Gerbil In Training

Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm

I've got a couple MX Blue keyboards at home as well as an MX Brown, and I wouldn't want to bring any of them into the office as-is. The noise from the MX brown is almost passable, if you're not sitting within 10 feet or so of other people. The MX Blues are obviously way noisier, however on one of my boards I installed rubber o-rings underneath all the keys that makes it only slightly louder than the MX Browns. (you can find these o-ring kits on amazon fairly cheaply... unfortunately can't post links due to my n00b status right now).

What I'm think would work for you would be something like the Rosewill 9000 MX Brown keyboard coupled with o-rings to deaden the key-bottoming-out noise, and you'd probably have a keyboard that is quieter than most membrane keyboards but feels a million times better.

Just my personal opinion here, but get the absolute thinnest o-rings you can find, unless reduced key travel appeals to you for some reason.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Not wireless, but I like the Realforce 87U I bought a while ago.

Wireless mechanical keyboards are pretty rare.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Probably a Das Keyboard Silent (MX Browns), but they don't come cheap. Which is the main reason I don't own one.

I have both a Model M and a Unicomp at home, and a ThinkPad T420. At work, I make do with Dell rubber domes when I'm not onsite (the mouse is the one thing I buy for myself).
i9-9900K @4.8GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
2x Gigabyte GTX 1070 Founders Ed. SLI, Dell 2408WFP-HC