Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Gaming Mouse

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:56 am

Hi guys,
I am looking for a certain type of a gaming mouse.
The first mouse I bought had a ball at the bottom and connected via serial port.
The good thing about that mouse was the shape. It was really high in the middle, and once the hand rested on it, the fingers would be sloping downwards, making it really easy to spam clicks.

Today, I would love to have something similar shaped in a modern gaming mouse. Now a days mice are usually egg shaped. While that one was a really weird shape.
Is there any mice that have 2 buttons on the side and a decent DPI with Laser/Optical witch are very high in the middle?

I wish I could explain myself better, but I have no idea what brand it was or where to find pictures to show you. I am hoping someone would know what I am taking about and can give me a push in the right direction.

Edit: While this is not what it looked like, this picture should give you an idea of what sorta angle I am looking for.
Intel i7 4790K
MAXIMUS VII RANGER motherboard
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: Gaming Mouse

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:11 am

If you're looking for a gaming mouse for your desktop, do include the $59 or $62 Logitech G400s on your short list. If you're looking for a more compact mouse to use with a laptop, the $35 or $52 Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX is terrific.

The last mouse that I had with the uncomfortable angle in the photo that you added was a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1.0.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, UltraSharp U2410, CVT Avant Prime, DeathAdder, Audioengine HD3+S8

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 am

I'd go logitech, they have a really nice line-up right now:

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice

Right now I have a deathadder 2013, I like it but the quality is so-so. I had to take it apart and fix a squeking button.

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:32 am

The 2 mouse you linked to are probably good gaming mice, but their shape is still pretty standard.
The Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1.0 you mentioned though is very similar to what I want.

Are there any gaming mice out there that have this sort of shape? I am looking for a full desktop sized mouse. Not a laptop one.

Edit: I currently have a G400, and while it has been pretty good, I still find it hard to spam without me lifting the mouse in the air a bit. I find that my aim suffers a lot due to that.
It is probably because my desk is a bit higher than my chair and its hard for me to grip the mouse properly. I end up gripping the mouse with my fingers with my palm in the air.
I want to be able to grim the mouse using my palm resting on the mouse.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:11 am

Anyone else got any suggestions?
I have checked the websites for Razer, Logitech and Corsair.
Couldnt see any mice shaped like this.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:36 am

While I haven't kept up to date with current mouse offerings as of late (which is probably due to the fact that I've been happy with the two that I've had for several years now), I've partial to the following two I currently own:

Logitech G5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104076
(Unsure if they're still available)
- 7 button
- DPI selection button, up to 2000dpi (for 3 default -OR- pre-programmed DPI modes)
- A pair of two of the "slickest" feet I've come across so far.
- Removable/configurable weight cartridge (some people dig the idea - I personally prefer no added weight.)

Razer Naga: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826153125
- 19 button
- DPI selection button(s) (via programming)
- Latest model's sensor capable of up to 8200dpi
- Can be somewhat small for people with larger hands. (I wear "large" latex gloves [when working on my vehicles], for me, this mouse is slightly on the small side.)

I know both of these are not specifically what you're asking for. However, these were both bought when I was semi-"professionally" (if you will) competing/playing Quake III: Excessive Plus (Think standard Q3, with double-jumps, ridiculously over-powered weapons, and increased movement speed.) I quickly found that I needed a mouse that I could "snap-shoot" with easily, and execute repeated Mouse1 button clicks as quickly as possible (with the close secondary priority of being able to use the mouse's other buttons to change weapons as quickly as possible, as I preferred to keep the weapon bindings on the mouse, and not the keyboard [yes, not ideal, but it worked for me.])

EDIT: Both mice I comfortably hold with palm rested on them, while using the pinky finger to stabilize movement, though the G5 is notably more stable during lateral motions than the Naga.

Again, this may/may not help you much. But thought I'd bring a different approach to the conversation.

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Okay, I have come to realize that it might be a bit hard to find a mouse similar to the one I used before.
Besides, that was over 10 years ago. I am not even sure if I will like it as much as I remember liking it.

What do you guys think about the G502 Proteus Core ?
It seems nice enough to me, and its got good reviews.
One thing I am not sure about is, weather I need to be concerned with the sensor. It has an IR Optical I think. Some people say its IR Laser.
Not 100% sure, but does it really matter? Currently I play CSGO at about 800 DPI and 1000hz polling on my 144Hz monitor.
I like the idea of G502 having more buttons, including the sniper button and the reviews are overall pretty positive.
But some people mention laser mice are not good at lower DPI, so I thought I would ask you guys if its something I need to look into or is it fine?
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 am

Just get a Razer Deathadder 2013 and call it a day. The best optical sensor in the biz and an excellent mouse for FPS games.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 2080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | Intel 660P 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

PainIs4ThaWeak1
Gerbil

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:20 am

After looking at it, I like the idea of the G502.

The base of it (the mating surface of the bottom of the mouse), is pretty large. So it should give a stable experience. (eg. No mouse "rolling" - which would lift the mouse sensor off the tracking surface.) In fact, its much larger at the base than even the G5 I own - which, as noted, is the most stable of the handful I've owned in the past.

I do believe it is optical (at least according to newegg.) Personally, I haven't noticed any meaningful difference between the G5's optical sensor (and previous optical sensor mice), when compared to the Razer Naga's laser sensor. In regards to laser sensors and low DPI, I personally haven't noticed anything abnormal when running the Naga's sensor below 1000 DPI.

In my opinion, comfort can't be overstated when purchasing a pointing device. Especially when its intended use would be for competitive gaming. If you don't have to purchase immediately, why not take a trip down to your local brick and motar electronics store and put flesh-to-plastic, and see if that changes your opinion at all?

.... All this in depth talk about mice has me realizing a few of the short comings of the two I own, and quite possibly has me considering a new purchase as well. (You guys always find ways to make me want to spend money!) ... Now to just find one with 15+ buttons... :\

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:16 am

I was going to recommend the G502 to you until I saw the extremity of the angle on the mouse you had in mind.

I just got the G502 myself and it's been a surprising improvement over my old G9. I'm still getting used to the additional buttons and different shape but my aim is definitely more consistent and I'm able to track targets much more fluently in Natural Selection 2, coming from a G400 you might not notice much, if any, improvement however. The G502 has a great performing sensor and it's IR optical, not laser.

My only complaint is that it's a little too heavy for my liking, I don't have any weights in it at all. I'd also have preferred 4 side buttons like the G700 has over the 'sniper button'. More of a G9 shape would have been nice also but that's another personal thing.

Great mouse but it's very similar to the G400 so I'm not sure if it helps you at all.

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Actually since I was trying to find out the mouse I was after, I learnt about how there are 3 main grip styles. Palm, claw and finger. Apparently I am currently a finger style user. My wrist sits on the gel mouse pad, and never moves. My hand moves the mouse only about 1 or 2 inches each direction. Half the time I actually twist the mouse rather than moving sideways. Its apparently an instinctual thing.

I decided to not try and go to palm style like I originally wanted. I don't think I will make the transition smoothly. I started as a palm user, but changed to finger along the way.

The G400 is a good mouse, so I don't mind the 502 being similar. I think I can use the extra buttons, so it will still be an upgrade. I will try and get a feel of the mouse before I buy it, but its a bit hard to be able to do that in Australian stores. Let's see if Dick Smith let's customers try it before buying.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

Neutronbeam
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:47 pm

I've got a suggestion that's a bit off from everyone else but reflects my changing financial situation. There are a LOT of good quality gaming level mice out there for a fraction of the cost of a Logitech, Corsair, Razer, Gigabyte, Asus, etc.

Check Amazon and you'll see more than a few no-name-brand gaming mice each with hundreds of 4-4.5 star reviews. They can be a bit, ah, "colorful", but perform well. This was my latest purchase and I've go no complaints--

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX0 ... UTF8&psc=1

YMMV, but I just can't ever see myself going with a high-end mouse again.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Neutronbeam
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Just saw this and it's pretty interesting....

http://www.amazon.com/SHARKK%C2%AE-Prog ... pd_cp_pc_2
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:35 pm

You have to be careful with cheap mouses. I ordered one that supposedly did 3200CPI, but it was just faking it by turning the sensitivity up. It had good ratings (on Newegg), though not nearly as many reviews as the two you posted. Most people can't tell the difference between a 1600CPI mouse and an 800CPI mouse with the sensitivity turned up so that it moves like 1600CPI, so reviews don't always help as much as one would hope.

Neutronbeam wrote:

No joke, this is the same brand as my wallet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AP7JM7A/

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 pm

I got a non major brand before. It was a nice light mouse but sucked in gaming. Had a delay of 8ms and only 125Hz polling. By contrast my current mouse is 1ms delay and 1000Hz polling. It really felt heaps better. So, I am gonna stick to the big brands for now.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 am

I gamed for years with a bargain basement wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard set. I never felt like they held me back at all, I had a lot of fun playing with them and I even kept a pretty good K/D ratio. Expensive, top-shelf mice are definitely not necessary to have a fun gaming experience and if you look at the equipment that top esports competitors have used over the years you'll see that they're not a requirement for professional level competition either.

That said, there is a logic to high-end gaming mice. Most cheap mice have poor sensors which introduce jitter, angle snapping, acceleration and the like: distortions between the actual movement of the mouse and the movement of the cursor on the screen. Our brains and bodies adapt to these idiosyncrasies but the adaptation requires time, and if acceleration is involved the amount of time needed can be signficiant. Our brains and bodies can also compensate in real time, if the cursor doesn't end where we expect it to when we rotate then we almost unconsciuosly just keep on adjusting until it does, but this introduces extra time (and frames) to the movement which may be significant in competitive play.

If you don't turn off mouse acceleration and aim-assist or don't harmonize mouse sensitivity between games you play then a better mouse won't really have any affect anyway. If you really enjoy competitive play and seeking improvement and you already do the things mentioned then a better mouse is a good investment. If you don't like to **** around then a mouse for a tenth of the price can definitely do the job.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:46 pm

puppetworx wrote:
I gamed for years with a bargain basement wireless Logitech mouse and keyboard set. I never felt like they held me back at all, I had a lot of fun playing with them and I even kept a pretty good K/D ratio. Expensive, top-shelf mice are definitely not necessary to have a fun gaming experience and if you look at the equipment that top esports competitors have used over the years you'll see that they're not a requirement for professional level competition either.

That said, there is a logic to high-end gaming mice. Most cheap mice have poor sensors which introduce jitter, angle snapping, acceleration and the like: distortions between the actual movement of the mouse and the movement of the cursor on the screen. Our brains and bodies adapt to these idiosyncrasies but the adaptation requires time, and if acceleration is involved the amount of time needed can be signficiant. Our brains and bodies can also compensate in real time, if the cursor doesn't end where we expect it to when we rotate then we almost unconsciuosly just keep on adjusting until it does, but this introduces extra time (and frames) to the movement which may be significant in competitive play.

If you don't turn off mouse acceleration and aim-assist or don't harmonize mouse sensitivity between games you play then a better mouse won't really have any affect anyway. If you really enjoy competitive play and seeking improvement and you already do the things mentioned then a better mouse is a good investment. If you don't like to **** around then a mouse for a tenth of the price can definitely do the job.

QFT.

Some "gaming mouse" makers would do well to follow the logic, and there are plenty of "gaming mice" on the market that still have angle-snapping and acceleration. In their ridiculous chasing of crazy-high DPI they're forgetting the basics which are:
  • lag-free
  • 1:1 mapping of your mouse-to-cursor movement
  • decent polling rate.
...and this is why you can pick up a good, cheap mouse for gaming without it actually being a gaming mouse.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Indeed. If you're not using the MarkC mousefix to remove mouse acceleration on Windows 7 / 8 and playing FPS games with a mouse......... I feel sorry for you no matter which mouse you are using.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 2080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | Intel 660P 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:55 pm

My Mionix Naos mouse may suit you quite well because of the basic shape and the "finger divots" for the main buttons. They let your fingers rest easier on the main buttons.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(