Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Kinketsu2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Using integrated graphics plus dedicated GPU

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Recently built a nice system 8700k with Asus z370-e and a GTX 1070. I drive my main monitor from the DVI port on the 1070. One reason I chose the mobo is that there's a DVI port from the iGPU, and I had hoped to drive a second monitor from that, simultaneously ... nothing too sophisticated, just a browser window or whatever that I can use while queued for a game. That second monitor is very old and the best connection is DVI.

But I can't get this to work. I have enabled the iGPU in BIOS, while declaring the 1070 on PCIE still to be primary. But there is no recognition by the system (e.g. display settings in WIndows) that the second monitor is present.

Evidently I am missing something fundamental. Any pointers?

Thanks,
K

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Using integrated graphics plus dedicated GPU

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Why not drive the second monitor from your 1070?

Anyway, maybe try this?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Kinketsu2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:17 pm

It's a mildly complicated situation where, at least at the moment, I want to drive the main display from the DVI on the 1070. But my 1070 has only one DVI output.

I'm still experimenting. If I set the BIOS to treat the iGPU as primary, then windows then recognizes that there's another screen in addition to the now-secondary 1070 DVI, but nothing is displaying over the iGPU DVI port. I can't find any setting that declares whether to use DP, HDMI, or DVI when the iGPU is active ... I've tested both the DVI and the HDMI and I don't see anything. With some mild reconfig of my other equipment I can test DP tomorrow.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 am

Have you used a DVI->HDMI cable and plugged that into your 1070?

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:17 am

HDMI converts perfectly to DVI (they both carry the same digital signal for video), you can get a cheap cable off Amazon for a few bucks.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 am

Kinketsu2 wrote:
It's a mildly complicated situation where, at least at the moment, I want to drive the main display from the DVI on the 1070. But my 1070 has only one DVI output.

I'm still experimenting. If I set the BIOS to treat the iGPU as primary, then windows then recognizes that there's another screen in addition to the now-secondary 1070 DVI, but nothing is displaying over the iGPU DVI port. I can't find any setting that declares whether to use DP, HDMI, or DVI when the iGPU is active ... I've tested both the DVI and the HDMI and I don't see anything. With some mild reconfig of my other equipment I can test DP tomorrow.

Another thing to try would be to connect only the iGPU (ie disconnect the 1070 completely) and make sure you are actually getting picture.

I'm inclined to agree with the other posters, though, that the path of least resistance is likely an HDMI > DVI cable and just run both displays off the 1070.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Kinketsu2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks, all, for your responses. I had neglected the possibility of HDMI -> DVI ... I had an adaptor sitting in a box and the setup is now working perfectly.

[[ EDIT: I initially posted a related issue but then immediately solved it, naturally. Removed for brevity.]]

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Glad you solved it. I'm a little late to jump in and offer that I've had some issues with NUCs (so Intel iGPU) and older monitors and TVs. It seems newer iGPUs just don't like some of the old resolutions on older screens.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Kinketsu2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:01 am

A bit of additional information for future readers who might trip across this thread:

Tonight I did manage to discover that the iGPU will send output via DP simultaneously with the 1070 sending output via either or both DVI or HDMI. This isn't a configuration I want ... my better/bigger monitor is the one with DP, and so I want that connected to the 1070 ... mostly I was just curious if it was possible at all to have both 1070 + iGPU output ... and yes, it's possible. (Probably it would also work with iGPU DP + 1070 DP, but I only have one DP monitor, and so I can't verify.)

But so far, iGPU output is only via DP. I've tried a variety of things to try to get the iGPU to output via either HDMI or DVI ... varying settings in BIOS, disconnecting the 1070 cables so that only the iGPU display is available, etc etc. Nothing works ... I have simply been unable to get either of the HDMI or the DVI port on the z370-e to provide iGPU signal (to either my newer monitor or my older one). The iGPU consistently displays on DP ... it actually does so whether or not the iGPU is enabled in the BIOS, actually. But I'm baffled that no identifiable configuration (with discrete GPU in place) provides output via two of the z370-e integrated video ports.

I haven't tried actually physically removing the 1070 again ... not sure I'm sufficiently curious to pursue it that far.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Cheers,
K

RAGEPRO
Gerbil

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:11 am

I have a lot of experience on this topic, though not as much as some of my friends. Barring the possibility of a faulty motherboard, there's no reason the setup you described shouldn't work.

You aren't trying to use DVI-VGA or anything like that, are you? If it's a very old monitor, does it actually take a DVI connection, or is it DVI-A (VGA over DVI) or something like that? Your motherboard (nor the GTX 1070) surely doesn't include a RAMDAC so they won't be able to send an analog signal over their DVI ports. However, if you're using an HDMI to DVI adapter and it's not an active adapter then that's not the issue. (I'm not aware of any HDMI-to-DVI active adapters that would send VGA in the first place.)

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working, albeit with a workaround. I'm currently running two monitors off my 8700K's integrated graphics while running two more off my Radeon; the two hooked up to my motherboard are using HDMI and DVI. No problems here on an ASUS Prime Z370-A.

Kinketsu2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 am

@RAGEPRO ...

One of the monitors is quite old ... it's a Dell2405FPW, with non-HDCP DVI connection, 1920x1200. Using the 1070, that connection is now working OK via an HDMI -> DVI adaptor.

However to try to get the integrated HDMI or DVI to work -- mostly for curiousity now -- I have been experimenting solely with my newer Dell U2711. That monitor is 2560x1440 and supports DP, DVI-D, and HDMI. Right now I can get the iGPU to display to that monitor via DP, but neither the HDMI nor the DVI works.

Thanks for describing your setup, and confirming that you think this should be working. I'm interested to hear that you are running more than one monitor off the integrated graphics ... I thought I'd read it could only be one.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:50 am

Kinketsu2 wrote:

Kinketsu2 wrote:
mostly I was just curious if it was possible at all to have both 1070 + iGPU output ... and yes, it's possible.

Kinketsu2 wrote:
Right now I can get the iGPU to display to that monitor via DP, but neither the HDMI nor the DVI works.

I'm doing the same thing right now, but with DVI.

Similar story: I bought a 1070ti for $400 when that was finally possible recently, and it only has 1 DVI output. I have two ancient monitors that don't have HDMI or DP, so I used the two DVI ports on my previous 970 GTX. Can't do that with the 1070ti, so I enabled and used the iGPU really quick.

Never bothered to go back and switch it, even though the appropriate adapter is sitting right in front of the computer. meh.

Anyway, I have the same CPU, different motherboard, so there isn't any reason why the DVI shouldn't work.

Kinketsu2
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 pm

So, I think I've worked this iGPU issue out now, and it was a combination of issues:

1. I took out the 1070 and played around just with the iGPU ports. Any of the 3 worked fine for BIOS, and so evidently there was some other issue in Windows, where the DVI and HDMI weren't working on either my older Dell 2405FPW or newer U2711.

2. As noted by MOSFET, the iGPU really doesn't like my older monitor, even from BIOS. Whether I do DVI or HDMI>DVI from the iGPU ports, that monitor and the mobo don't talk.

3. Then I tried Windows, and here DP worked but DVI or HDMI did not. Then I realized... I had made a big assumption, that since the DP from the iGPU was working fine in Windows, and Windows had been installed without the discrete graphics, that the Windows installation had taken care of any iGPU drivers I needed ... I guess I was thinking that iGPU is so basic, that they'd be there by default. Turns out, not so... DVI and HDMI work in Windows once the drivers are installed (doh). HDMI behaves beautifully, but the resolution on the DVI is funky ... need to play with it a bit more.

Having figured all that out, I reinstalled the 1070 and verified that each works while the 1070 is also driving displays.

So ... I'm not going to be able to use iGPU for the older monitor, as I had hoped ... I'll use the 1070 instead, as advised by kind folks in this thread. But for other purposes down the line, I have at least assured myself that all 3 integrated ports work and can be driven from Windows, if the need arises with a screen that plays well with them

I wrote all this out in the hope that others that trip across this thread in future, with similar problems, might find it useful.

Thanks again to all who contributed thoughts in this thread ... Very helpful in assuring me that this really should work and giving me some good ideas to experiment with.

Cheers,
K

Taparst
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:06 am

Can't say that I'm a GPU guru, but I can speculate with the best of 'em.

My first guess would be that the BIOS needs to be reconfigured. Most BIOSes (BIOS's?) have a setting to tell the PC how to initialize the graphics on power up. If it's set to AUTO, it probably detects the GPU in the slot and initializes that one on start up and ignores the integrated VGA.

One thing to check would be if there is any activity on the VGA output at all while POST is going on. If so, you could try getting in to the BIOS setup on power up and change the grpahics settings. If you can't get to the BIOS with the GPU in place, try taking the GPU out, boot to the BIOS setup and change the configuration, then put the GPU back in.

If the OS is plug-n-play and has recent enough drivers, you might be able to tell the BIOS to initialize only the VGA on power up and let the OS detect the GPU and bring it online.

I am strictly a Windows guy, so I can't speak for Linux, but after you get the BIOS set, Windows boots up with the graphics adapter active at boot up as the primary and any other grpahic adapter(s) available as secondary (tertiary) ....

(And I see that xilman has beat me to the punch with one point...and a good idea if you can't get the BIOS to co-operate.)