Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Question about whether it would even be worth upgrading the video card in my current system

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:48 pm

For a little back story, I've got an older system that I primarily use as a workstation, but also for gaming. It's getting really long in the tooth, so I obviously need to built a new rig at some point, but I'd like to keep this current PC around as a Windows 7/Linux Mint 18 machine, until the components finally fail, and I just can't source replacements anymore.

Here are the current machines specs:

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
i7-2600K (with a hyper 212 evo cooler)
32GB G.Skill DDR3 1333
GIGABYTE HD 7950 WindForce 3X OC
Asus P8Z68-V GEN3   (Z68 chipset)
650W modular Corsair PSU

Now, while this machine has served me well over the years, especially for work and a lot of the older games I have (and it even handles Doom using Vulkan shockingly well), I had contemplated maybe upgrading the graphics card to something in the RX-4XX line, just to tide me over until I can save up several grand to build a new Uber-PC.  Something I noticed with GPU-Z while I was looking at some of the specs that made me realize that my while my card is capable of PCI-E 3.0, it's only running at PCI-E 2.0. I tried tinkering with a lot of settings, until I looked my CPU up over at Intel Ark, and realized it only supports PCI-E 2.0, so it's the limiting factor.

Would it even be worth trying to install a decent Polaris card in this machine, or would it just be a waste of $200+?  I'm not upgrading this machine to Windows 10, so I won't be playing any DX12 games on it (likely just DX11,OpenGL 4.5, Vulkan, and a bunch of retro games).  Thoughts?   

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Question about whether it would even be worth upgrading the video card in my current system

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:56 pm

What games are you playing that the Radeon HD7950 isn't handling satisfactorily?  Would you consider blowing $400 instead of $200 on a graphics card upgrade?

If you overclock your Sandy Bridge CPU from its default of 3.4 GHz (3.8 turbo) to 4+ GHz, it'll keep up with newer generations of CPUs.  Need USB3.1?  Done.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Question about whether it would even be worth upgrading the video card in my current system

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:27 pm

You will be be able to play newer games just fine with a Rx 480 w/ 8 GB or 1070 upgrade. 

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:26 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
What games are you playing that the Radeon HD7950 isn't handling satisfactorily?  Would you consider blowing $400 instead of $200 on a graphics card upgrade?

If you overclock your Sandy Bridge CPU from its default of 3.4 GHz (3.8 turbo) to 4+ GHz, it'll keep up with newer generations of CPUs.  Need USB3.1?  Done.

Well, right now No Man's Sky (but that game's a poorly optimized hunk of junk anyway), but in other games like MGS V, Black Ops 3, and Witcher 3, I'll notice frame-rate dives depending on what's happening onscreen. I'm used to running games at 1080p with most settings on medium or high these days, depending on the game.  
My main concern was that the Sandy Bridge is basically halving the the theoretical throughput from my existing card, and was just curious if even just making a small upgrade would even be worth it.
For older games that I still have, and some of indie/retro stuff I've been buying, it hasn't really been an issue at all. Plus, I can still run multiple VMs concurrently (or if I reboot into Mint, Juniper's vMX will take all the resources I can throw at it).   Like I said, I'm planning on mainly stocking up on some spares for the existing machine, but was just idly curious if even just moving up to a 4 or 8GB Polaris card would be worth it, mainly since they're pretty cheap, and this would just be a stop-gap measure to try and get some stable frame rates in certain games, until I can build a much more powerful machine.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:28 pm

If it's working for you, no.

The exception of course is if you are planning on a different more difficult use (..like some of the tougher new games), and planning on doing so very soon. EDIT: yeah, consider shelving those tougher games for a short time.

In any event, it's a terrible time to purchase a video card: the prices still have not come down to discount levels, or really even expected retail pricing. (Think Black Friday/Cyber Monday for a potential cherry-pick deal.)
Last edited by CScottG on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:30 pm

Doctor Venture wrote:
Well, right now No Man's Sky (but that game's a poorly optimized hunk of junk anyway), but in other games like MGS V, Black Ops 3, and Witcher 3, I'll notice frame-rate dives depending on what's happening onscreen. I'm used to running games at 1080p with most settings on medium or high these days, depending on the game.  
My main concern was that the Sandy Bridge is basically halving the the theoretical throughput from my existing card, and was just curious if even just making a small upgrade would even be worth it.

I'd stick to games that can be played (they way you like to play them settings-wise) and wait on the others..

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:57 pm

CScottG wrote:
Doctor Venture wrote:

I'd stick to games that can be played (they way you like to play them settings-wise) and wait on the others..

That's the current plan. I didn't really feel like spending $200-$300 on a card that might not even smooth out the frame-rates in my existing games, given the artificial limitation. If it does, then I might spring for a nice RX-480, just for the short-term.  Since my motherboard uses an LGA 1155 socket, the best I could do upgrading the CPU would be to go up to an Ivy Bridge, and that's not really worth it for the $400 I just saw on Newegg.  

If I had the money today, I'd build a system with an i7-6950X, as much DDR4 as I can cram into it, along with a pair of high end graphics cards, and as many multi-TB SSDs and 10K RPM HDDs as I could fit into it, but it'll take me a while to save up the money to do this right, so I can end up with a fully balanced system that'll last 5-6 years.  This thing will have to pull double duty as a workstation and a gaming rig, so I need to really do my homework, to get this build done right. Right now, I'm not in a major hurry, so I can afford to sit and wait to see how things play out, and watch what new tech is coming down the pipe.  The only thing that has me in a slight panic mode is getting spares for my CPU and motherboard, since finding non-refurbished versions of those are getting harder to come by.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:47 am

is it overclocked to any degree? I know it's your workstation so you probably aren't really interested in it, but both the CPU and the GPU you have are very overclockable. I have a similar system with an i5-2500K and a HD7950, with the CPU at 4.3 GHz which is pretty conservative and my GPU at 1000 MHz (still a 25% OC). Especially your GPU might be worth overclocking as you probably don't use it for your workstation duties and the initial clockspeed of the HD7950's was very low to differentiate it from the HD7970

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 am

Target resolution? I have a hard time believing the 7950 can't keep up with most games at 1080p60 with moderate settings (NMS is just a mess, it's slow and stuttery on my 4670K + 1070, nothing will fix that).
However, if you want to turn settings up, the 480 would be a nice upgrade, and I don't think the CPU will hold you back (the CPU becomes less of a bottleneck the higher you dial the quality settings).
For what it's worth, though, nvidia cards do better with older/slower CPUs, so unless you are sticking to amd out of principle, a 1060 sounds like a better fit for you (DX11, OpenGL, older CPU).

Wind, Sand and Stars.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Firestarter wrote:
is it overclocked to any degree? I know it's your workstation so you probably aren't really interested in it, but both the CPU and the GPU you have are very overclockable. I have a similar system with an i5-2500K and a HD7950, with the CPU at 4.3 GHz which is pretty conservative and my GPU at 1000 MHz (still a 25% OC). Especially your GPU might be worth overclocking as you probably don't use it for your workstation duties and the initial clockspeed of the HD7950's was very low to differentiate it from the HD7970

The cpu and hd 7950 are at standard clocks.  While I could overclock them, like I said, I spend at least 75% of my time running multiple VMs in VMware Workstation, and it's more the amount of h/w threads and memory I can devote to each one, than raw speed. A lot of the VMs are Ubuntu 14.04.4 servers that I'm using for various things, like Openflow/SDN controllers, Ansible, SaltStack, and OpenStack, so they run rather well with the system as-is.   My main concern about the gaming aspect is that the Sandy Bridge I have only supports PCI-E 2.0, while if I wasted $400 on an Ivy Bridge, it'll support PCI-E 3.0, so I should theoretically get better performance right off the bat, graphics-wise. One of the main reasons I was curious if it was even worth trying to get a Polaris or lower end GTX 10x0 card, was for the extra RAM on the boards, and was concerned since they'd be limited to PCI-E 2.0 as well, that I would effectively just wasting cash that I could put towards sourcing spares for the current rig, and saving up for a future rig.  I'm still torn between either getting something like an i7-6950X or a dual Xeon setup, since I really do need as many cores/threads as possible for what I use the workstation for. 

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Target resolution? I have a hard time believing the 7950 can't keep up with most games at 1080p60 with moderate settings (NMS is just a mess, it's slow and stuttery on my 4670K + 1070, nothing will fix that).
However, if you want to turn settings up, the 480 would be a nice upgrade, and I don't think the CPU will hold you back (the CPU becomes less of a bottleneck the higher you dial the quality settings).
For what it's worth, though, nvidia cards do better with older/slower CPUs, so unless you are sticking to amd out of principle, a 1060 sounds like a better fit for you (DX11, OpenGL, older CPU).

Well, like I've been saying, it's less that the Sandy Bridge isn't fast enough, it's more that it's limited to PCI-E 2.0, while my current card supports PCI-E 3.0, so I'm already artificially limiting the theoretical throughput. The motherboard and 7950 can run PCI-E 3, but that SB doesn't support it..

If I spent money replacing the Sandy Bridge with the best Ivy Bridge I can get, it'll support PCI-E 3.0, so It'll be less of an issue about getting an RX-480 or a GTX 1070 (or even just sticking with the 7950), but I mainly was just eyeballing those other cards for the extra RAM available on them, and being able to smooth out the frame-rates in some games, without having to drop the settings down to medium.  I'm not looking to set everything to Ultra or anything, but just eeking out a little more life out of this machine would be nice, but not really required.

Like I mentioned in a different reply, the Sandy Bridge I have is perfectly fine for 75% of what I use the machine for (VMware VMs that're mostly Ubuntu Trusty servers, and some other network VMs), but I was just concerned I would be wasting money on getting a new graphics cards, since it'll be limited to PCI-E 2.0 as well.  I really don't feel like spending the $300-$400 on the best Ivy Bridge I can get, since the 8 h/w threads on the Sandy Bridge are sufficient for what I do for work.  I'd really rather spend money on sourcing spare parts for the current rig (since it'll stick around offline as a retro rig), and then either get something akin to an i7-6950X or maybe a dual Xeon machine, since I really do need as many cores/threads as possible, and as much DDR4 as I can cram in there, so I can run even more VMs concurrently. I know a lot of games won't support that many cores/threads yet, but they'll come in very handy when using the new rig for work.  I'll still get at least the best GFX card available at the time, a Platinum or Titanium level PSU, as many of the best SSDs available then (doubt I could afford the enterprise-grade ones). several 7200 or 10K RPM HDDs, and then a large NAS.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:25 pm

Doctor Venture wrote:
The cpu and hd 7950 are at standard clocks.  While I could overclock them, like I said, I spend at least 75% of my time running multiple VMs in VMware Workstation, and it's more the amount of h/w threads and memory I can devote to each one, than raw speed. A lot of the VMs are Ubuntu 14.04.4 servers that I'm using for various things, like Openflow/SDN controllers, Ansible, SaltStack, and OpenStack, so they run rather well with the system as-is.   My main concern about the gaming aspect is that the Sandy Bridge I have only supports PCI-E 2.0, while if I wasted $400 on an Ivy Bridge, it'll support PCI-E 3.0, so I should theoretically get better performance right off the bat, graphics-wise. One of the main reasons I was curious if it was even worth trying to get a Polaris or lower end GTX 10x0 card, was for the extra RAM on the boards, and was concerned since they'd be limited to PCI-E 2.0 as well, that I would effectively just wasting cash that I could put towards sourcing spares for the current rig, and saving up for a future rig.  I'm still torn between either getting something like an i7-6950X or a dual Xeon setup, since I really do need as many cores/threads as possible for what I use the workstation for. 

I think you should stop worrying about PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0, in gaming applications the difference between the 2 is limited to just a few percent. If you upgrade your CPU you'll probably get a bigger boost just from the extra CPU performance itself. There are plenty of people happily running PCI-E 3.0 cards at 2.0 with sandy bridge CPUs, especially those who overclocked their CPU. I would upgrade to a GTX1080 in a heartbeat if I thought my HD7950 wasn't fast enough anymore. I'd still probably look for a way to unload my i5-2500K to someone else so I could get into some hyperthreading goodness with the latest Skylakes, but that would definitely only be secondary and optional, and the PCI-E interface would be the least of my concerns.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Firestarter wrote:
I think you should stop worrying about PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0.
QFT.
This isn't going to have a noticeable effect on your gaming experience.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:03 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Firestarter wrote:
I think you should stop worrying about PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0.

QFT.
This isn't going to have a noticeable effect on your gaming experience.

That's interesting, because I thought it would have a larger impact.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'm still deciding which card to upgrade to (if at all), since I'm mainly after smoothing out frame-rates in some games, and I wouldn't mind the GPU having more than 3GB to use. I'm not really wedded to AMD, so I'll just decide which will get this current PC by for another year, until it gets relegated to an offline retro gaming box and spare workstation. 

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Firestarter wrote:
Doctor Venture wrote:

I think you should stop worrying about PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0, in gaming applications the difference between the 2 is limited to just a few percent. If you upgrade your CPU you'll probably get a bigger boost just from the extra CPU performance itself. There are plenty of people happily running PCI-E 3.0 cards at 2.0 with sandy bridge CPUs, especially those who overclocked their CPU. I would upgrade to a GTX1080 in a heartbeat if I thought my HD7950 wasn't fast enough anymore. I'd still probably look for a way to unload my i5-2500K to someone else so I could get into some hyperthreading goodness with the latest Skylakes, but that would definitely only be secondary and optional, and the PCI-E interface would be the least of my concerns.

Thank you also for the heads up! I thought having the card running at PCI-E 3 would have a bigger impact, so it's good to hear that the performance boost would only really be marginal.

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:13 pm

Voldenuit wrote:

I hear you there. With my system, I was one of the lucky few that's been able to run since launch day, at a relatively stable 30FPS (it drops to 20, when looking at water). There were folks with FAR superior rigs that would get 5FPS, if it would even run at all.  The patches have helped somewhat, but I just can't recommend that game to anyone at this point. The comments like "wide as the ocean, but deep as a puddle" and "an amazing tech demo in search of an actual game" are very appropriate.  Such a shame, too. It had potential, but I don't think content updates or mods can salvage this one. 

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Doctor Venture wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:

I hear you there. With my system, I was one of the lucky few that's been able to run since launch day, at a relatively stable 30FPS (it drops to 20, when looking at water). There were folks with FAR superior rigs that would get 5FPS, if it would even run at all.  The patches have helped somewhat, but I just can't recommend that game to anyone at this point. The comments like "wide as the ocean, but deep as a puddle" and "an amazing tech demo in search of an actual game" are very appropriate.  Such a shame, too. It had potential, but I don't think content updates or mods can salvage this one.

Yeah, it's an absolute mess of a game, stay away everyone.
It has more negative reviews on steam than it has concurrent players (~60k negative reviews, 2400 ppl playing yesterday, according to steamspy).
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:17 pm

I second (third) most of the suggestions here.

2600K is fine, and it overclocks well. You should be able to just set it to a 40x100 multiplier in the BIOS without even touching voltages and it'll do that even using the woeful stock cooler in 99% of cases. I ran a 2600K for a while and I don't think my 4.4GHz on stock voltage was anything unusual.

Video card progress moves much faster than everything else, so it's completely reasonable to do nothing except a GPU upgrade after several years; 
Get a GTX1060 (6GB) or RX 480 (8GB) - that is the current sweet spot and both provide flawless 1080p gaming in all current titles and both are capable of excellent performance at 1440p, even if you might need to turn down the settings from Ultra to High in a few games.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm

To add to Chrispy's points, if you decide to pull the trigger on a full system upgrade within the next 12 months, neither the 1060 or the 480 would be a liability to move to the new system unless you simultaneously decided to start gaming at 4K. You could upgrade the main platform and stick with the GPU for several more months at least. 
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:59 pm

K-L-Waster wrote:
To add to Chrispy's points, if you decide to pull the trigger on a full system upgrade within the next 12 months, neither the 1060 or the 480 would be a liability to move to the new system unless you simultaneously decided to start gaming at 4K. You could upgrade the main platform and stick with the GPU for several more months at least. 

Thank you, /u/Chrispy  as well as you, K-L-Waster.    I think might end up getting either of those.   I'm not really picky about going beyond 1080p, but once I build the new machine, I'll likely get what ever the best GPU avaiable, and then use a 3 monitor 1440p setup (mostly for the work do).  I really hope that Nvidia follows the path as AMD, and use HBM2 in their next generation cards, thank to it's incredibly high memory bandwidth available.  It would be nice if the rumors are true about Navi including 16GB on the interposer as that would be sweet, 

Doctor Venture
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Yeah, it's an absolute mess of a game, stay away everyone.
It has more negative reviews on steam than it has concurrent players (~60k negative reviews, 2400 ppl playing yesterday, according to steamspy).

Oh, most definitely. I think todays player count was only 950.  I haven't played these enough to start recommending them to everyone, but there are 4 other "space games" I've been trying out, when NMS starts boring me), but here they are:
1) Evochron Legacy
2) Rebel Galaxy
3) EverSpace
4) That Freespace 2 TC that turns it into a Wing Commander game.

I still hear complaining about E:D, and Star Citizen is still in Alpha, so I'm not including those.  I did have one helluva time get Evochron demo. Gamershell would give an invalid token (or whatever) when trying the direct download, and the torrent link just resulted in gamershell track actively resuing the connection attemp.

There was also a direct download link on an authorized fan site, but his downloads would cut off at random times. Like, one time I'll 125MB, other times it'll just be 72MB.  It's a 300+MB timed demo, so I had to keep trying to download it from the fan site, until the entire demo downloaded.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:33 am

E:D is getting better but it's still quite shallow and grindy. You could certainly sink a hundred hours into it before you hit the grind and discover the lack of long-term depth though, so give it a spin; It's not exactly expensive and it's improving all the time.

I wish Frontier Developments would stop adding new features and go back and flesh out some of the primary career options a bit more (Bounty Huntier, Military pilot, Powerplay, Miner, Explorer, Trader, Smuggler, Pirate) but at the same time, the scope of the game keeps growing enough that there's always something to do.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.