Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Althernai
Gerbil
Topic Author

How many ROPs in the laptop GTX 1050?

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 pm

In this laptop 1050 article, it says:

Curiously, Nvidia's documentation also lists the laptop GTX 1050 as having just 16 ROP units—half that of the desktop card. At a glance, that change seems pretty major. We'll have to see if we can get our hands on a laptop equipped with one of these chips and put it to the test against the desktop GTX 1050 to see whether there's a major difference in performance for real-world use. Despite the halved ROP count, the mobile GTX 1050 retains a 128-bit path to memory.

I found this really bizarre because literally every other Pascal card (both desktop and laptop) has 1 ROP for every 4 bits of memory bus width. Also, NotebookCheck's page for it has a GPU-Z screenshot which says 32 ROPs, but it's clearly using beta hardware, software or drivers -- several values are blank and others are nonsensical (e.g. the number of TMUs is 53).

So, has anybody gotten a chance to look at this card in more detail? It comes in some nice laptops and I would like to know whether it has the same number of ROPs as the desktop 1050 or only half.

Althernai
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: How many ROPs in the laptop GTX 1050?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Here is a GPU-Z screenshot from a Dell XPS 15. It's still not quite perfect, but I'm now reasonably certain that the article is wrong -- the laptop GTX 1050 has 32 ROPs just like its desktop counterpart.

metanej
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 am

Hello! I'm brand new here.
Mine GTX1050 laptop version is with 16 ROPs.
I just had tweaked the clock speed. I could ass screenshot, but I have no idea how. When I press insert image it happen this

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am

metanej wrote:
Hello! I'm brand new here.
Mine GTX1050 laptop version is with 16 ROPs.
I just had tweaked the clock speed. I could ass screenshot, but I have no idea how. When I press insert image it happen this

Upload your screenshot to Imgur or similar and then paste a link. Since you're new you might need to paste a mangled link for us to fix, since new members can't post links or images.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen