Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Shobai
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Khronos add Multi-GPU to Vulkan

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:56 am

I didn't see this reported [please excuse me if it was] - Khronos appears to have added Multi-GPU support to Vulkan:

PDF warning

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Khronos add Multi-GPU to Vulkan

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 am

Cool. If anything actually starts using Vulkan, anyway.
Meow.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 am

Well, if their Page 3 is to be believed, DX12 was used in 19 PC games in the 18 months since launch while Vulkan was used in 11 PC games in the 12 months since launch.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:36 am

Shobai wrote:
Well, if their Page 3 is to be believed, DX12 was used in 19 PC games in the 18 months since launch while Vulkan was used in 11 PC games in the 12 months since launch.

Name one, off the top of your head, other than Doom...

Those stats are nice, but getting real engines running real games (need both!) is what's going to cement Vulkan in the market and perhaps challenge DX12.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 am

After you, naturally.

I am no apologist. Read their slides: they claim a wide selection of platforms and game engines. It remains up to them and their friends to make it happen, if it will.

That said, it's really beside the point - adding mGPU is an intriguing step forward, wouldn't you agree?

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 am

it'd be just a massive letdown to let politics get in the way of vulkan. maybe it's not just politics, maybe using dx12 makes things x percent easier for them, but it's not going to be that much. it's a massive letdown if they don't get rid of directx and move things over to vulkan and its successors.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 am

Shobai wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... an_support

I'd say not.

And even if we accept the eight there, how many of them are in beta or unreleased compared to dx12 games?

(And what the hell are people even still working on Quake for...weird)
Meow.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:12 pm

fhohj wrote:
it'd be just a massive letdown to let politics get in the way of vulkan. maybe it's not just politics, maybe using dx12 makes things x percent easier for them, but it's not going to be that much. it's a massive letdown if they don't get rid of directx and move things over to vulkan and its successors.

Give MS and their massive support of Windows gaming, DirectX's replacement is a foregone conclusion. The trick is figuring out the timing. I'd bet it won't be for another five years.