Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Is 60Hz enough for general [non-gaming] computing?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 pm

120Hz is the first refresh rate that can perfectly handle all the main film framerates: 24, 30, 48, and 60 fps

60Hz Monitors can only do 30 and 60 fps. Other framerates will introduce mild jitter.
Monitors that can refresh between 72 and 95Hz can also handle flawless 24 fps, 30 and 60 fps are covered by selecting 60Hz
Monitors that can refresh between 96 and 119Hz can also handle 24 and 48 fps, 30 and 60 fps are covered by selecting 60Hz

It's worth noting that most of the new content designed for the web (so Netflix and Amazon originals) as well as most stuff on Youtube runs at 30fps because they're optimised for television and computers. It's really only Blu-rays and cinema releases you need to worry about with framerate mismatches.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
It's worth noting that most of the new content designed for the web (so Netflix and Amazon originals) as well as most stuff on Youtube runs at 30fps because they're optimised for television and computers. It's really only Blu-rays and cinema releases you need to worry about with framerate mismatches.

Afaik, Netflix films all its originals at 23.976 fps, as it's the standard filmic look. Stuff filmed at 30 fps tends to have a 'soap opera' look because soaps were recorded on tape instead of film for cost reasons so were shot at 30 fps.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Noinoi
Gerbil First Class

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 am

Reading this thread somehow got me thinking for a bit...

It makes me wonder what inverse telecine/film mode detection in graphics driver control panels actually do to the video output, if I'm using a bog-standard 60 Hz display with no fancy tricks.

Is there such a thing as playing a video at 25/50 instead of 24/48 on a monitor incapable of a multiple of 24/48 (basically video slightly sped up, and audio probably resampled to match), but capable of 25/50, on a PC? Would it have noticeable effects in practice?

Honestly, though, I've never noticed such things in all my life with regard to monitors and stuff...
i5-4590 | Kingston 2x8GB | Asus Strix GTX 970 | Asus Z97-Pro Gamer | Kingston Fury 240GB + WD Black 2TB | Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 am

Noinoi wrote:

Is there such a thing as playing a video at 25/50 instead of 24/48 on a monitor incapable of a multiple of 24/48 (basically video slightly sped up, and audio probably resampled to match), but capable of 25/50, on a PC? Would it have noticeable effects in practice?.

What you're describing is how film content used to be sped up for PAL TVs and DVDs. The 4% speedup caused a shift in pitch (this was before it was easy to restore pitch on sped up sound), but was otherwise the best solution at the time for 50 Hz displays.

Reclock will do this (and correct the audio, I believe), but I've never used it.
Wind, Sand and Stars.