Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Shobai
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Nvidia Geforce Experience Security Vulnerability

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

SEC Consult has disclosed a method to bypass application whitelisting by abusing Nvidia's node.js.

According to other reports simply rolling back to a 2.x version after uninstalling 3.x isn't enough, as the offending files will be constantly downloaded as updates to GFE. Updating your hosts file with an entry for "services.gfe.nvidia.com" is offered as a solution for this.

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Nvidia Geforce Experience Security Vulnerability

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:10 pm

While I'm chuckling at Nv's decision to ship a whole Node.js with Experience, I have to say that the practical impact of this is likely going to be fairly minimal. Doesn't look like it's remotely exploitable, so you still need someone to trick the user into running a script locally. And if you've already managed to do that, you don't really need to go through Experience to wreak some havoc.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:31 pm

I feel like almost nobody writes real code any more. Most applications are developed by duct taping a bunch of canned libraries together, with only a superficial understanding of what's really going on. While this typically results in quicker development turnaround, it also results in a horribly bloated product which has such a large potential attack surface (due to all the superfluous, poorly understood 3rd party code shipping with the application) that you can never have reasonable certainty that it is secure.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:49 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I feel like almost nobody writes real code any more.

Apollo Guidance Computer. Got Apollo to the moon and back.

16-bit words
2,048 words RAM (4K)
36,864 words ROM (72K)

Assembly language, and RAM/ROM in core rope memory.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I feel like almost nobody writes real code any more. Most applications are developed by duct taping a bunch of canned libraries together, with only a superficial understanding of what's really going on. While this typically results in quicker development turnaround, it also results in a horribly bloated product which has such a large potential attack surface (due to all the superfluous, poorly understood 3rd party code shipping with the application) that you can never have reasonable certainty that it is secure.

You're not wrong. Didn't you work in the Avionics world for a bit, too? I'm sure, especially coming from that background, that it looks even worse.

I think the bigger problem is a combination between 1) not being given enough time to deeply understand all the libraries you need to use and 2) The documentation not necessarily existing. #1 usually applies far more often than #2, though, for the big ones that are F/L/OSS.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

16-bit words
2,048 words RAM (4K)
36,864 words ROM (72K)

That likely explains its abysmal performance at real time Twitter updates and streaming missions via Twitch.
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Nvidia Geforce Experience SUCKS. It tried to force me to create an account on Nvidia.com, so after I seriously thought about switching back to AMD GPUs, I decided to uninstall it and go get the drivers directly. Now I do that every couple months.

Seriously, a logon account for my GPU? I've got a bird to flip you, Nvidia. :evil:

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm so glad I turned off installing that crap when they did the requiring an account thing.

SecretSquirrel

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:32 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

16-bit words
2,048 words RAM (4K)
36,864 words ROM (72K)

Smaller than an Arduino Mega. :) Fully agree with the last art of writing code.

--SS

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 am

BIF wrote:
Nvidia Geforce Experience SUCKS. It tried to force me to create an account on Nvidia.com, so after I seriously thought about switching back to AMD GPUs, I decided to uninstall it and go get the drivers directly. Now I do that every couple months.

Seriously, a logon account for my GPU? I've got a bird to flip you, Nvidia. :evil:

Devil's advocate: people create accounts for far less-important stuff than driver updates and automatic game configuration.

(I dislike GFE's mandatory login too, fwiw)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:08 am

I.S.T. wrote:
I'm so glad I turned off installing that crap when they did the requiring an account thing.

Ditto.

It's only a matter of time before software gets owned. Nobody writes real code any more. :(
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

The Egg

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am

I'm another who doesn't install GFE. I don't ever want drivers updating themselves without user input.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 am

The Egg wrote:
I'm another who doesn't install GFE. I don't ever want drivers updating themselves without user input.

If that's the only reason, then you should know it doesn't. My experience with GFE 3 is that it alerts you to a new driver and clicking the alert takes you to a page where you can tell it to install or not.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

Aye, it'll just let you know that there's a driver update available. It's not particularly annoying either.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am

I mean, I understand, if only a little bit, why people wouldn't want to install an extra piece of software just to get the driver updates earlier than others, but it's really not a big deal in this case IMO. Geforce experience is never, never in my way. It doesn't hog resources. I rarely even have it "on." It just sits there until I tell it to launch, I update my drivers, and it goes away.

But hey, I guess go ahead and boycott it, because principles!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 am

DancinJack wrote:

And security flaws. And useless information gathering (for you) that benefits the company you're signing in to.

You know, besides that. Just principles. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, because Windows or Linux, or ANY other software you use have no security flaws? Surely not everything you use is absolutely necessary. Come on Waco. I have zero issue with Nvidia knowing which games I have installed. I want them to benefit. They make great products.

Everybody wants something for nothing, and I can understand wanting that, but getting it is rarely how it happens. The things you mentioned are principles, by the way. Not sure why you separated the two.

As I said above, I get it. Some people don't want to do it. That's fine.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

BIF

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

DancinJack wrote:

Oh no, I never said I had principles. And I never said I was boycotting it. I just dislike it, maybe because I already get told what to do often enough already. Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm grouchy. :P

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm

BIF wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Oh no, I never said I had principles. And I never said I was boycotting it. I just dislike it, maybe because I already get told what to do often enough already. Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm grouchy. :P

I wasn't necessarily directing it at you in particular, FWIW. I was just being facetious.