Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

 
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Tulip Mania again.

It makes no-sense to buy hardware to mine at this point. All of "easy stuff" is gone now and you will end-up making a net-loss. The worst point is that you cannot "easily" convert those crypotucurrencies over to "USD" which makes it kinda pointless for USA-types.

AMD, etailer vendors and utility companies are the only ones who are laughing to the bank.

My boss came up with a bitcoin mining scheme that would work on even old hardware, using a government plan that pays farmers to produce solar power (produce the power at a profit, and use it to power mining machines for second profit). Never did it though.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 pm

whm1974 wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
The Egg wrote:
If you can sell something for 3x what you paid, you'd be stupid not to do it. Sell your card immediately before your miss your chance.


Well, its up on Amazon. Solid $300 profit if it sells. Definitely looking at a 1070 upgrade, or even a 1060 6GB and save the rest for a new CPU :)

That would be the only way I will spend $400+ on a video card, other than getting a whole bunch of money that I would have to spend.


Thing is, the RX 480 8GB is the exact card I want/need for my setup. A 1070 will be a great upgrade, but maybe Vega will work assuming the crazy dies down by then. I don't necessarily have to buy a new card ASAP since I have my gaming laptop available.

Shoot, I may even put the money towards a PS4 and play some of those exclusives. Probably not though. PC for life!
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm

The really strange part is that 470's aren't available either, and while they play games almost as well as a 480, you'd think they would be sub-optimal for coin mining.

Wait a minute... Can you Crossfire 460's/560's? IIRC those are still available...
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
The really strange part is that 470's aren't available either, and while they play games almost as well as a 480, you'd think they would be sub-optimal for coin mining.

Wait a minute... Can you Crossfire 460's/560's? IIRC those are still available...

Yep still available, I just checked:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... 0601296397
Funny but I would have sworn they were out of stock early this morning when I checked.
 
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 pm

cynan wrote:
Last week, Newegg on Ebay had a 1080 Ti (Gigabyte non FE edition with 3 fans) for the same price. Is a 4GB Rx 480 really more efficient for mining than a 1080 Ti?


It was even cheaper. $634.99 w free shipping. Picked one up last week and it's been going like a champ. Boosting to 1898 MHz and stabilizing at 1848* on Overwatch for me with +0 MHz boost offset and +0 mV voltage offset, just bumped the power target by 10%. Temps around 74-76C under load.

* EDIT: Worth noting I'm not using Gigabyte's OC profile, either, since it seems to require having their dumb "Aorus" tweaking app running in the background.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
 
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
Posts: 25408
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am
Contact:

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Krogoth wrote:
AMD, etailer vendors and utility companies are the only ones who are laughing to the bank.

I doubt AMD is selling at the inflated prices. So they should probably not benefit from it much. They may have taken away the board maker discounts for buying more than X chips in their batches, but that's just about it?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 pm

So, would there be a way for AMD to disable or handicap whatever makes their cards so great at mining without impacting gaming use? AMD doesn't benefit long term from these mining crazy, in fact they probably get hurt by it since they lose potential repeat customers. Just wondering if there'd be a way to ensure their cards are no better than NVIDIA cards for mining.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 48992
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Well, the mining applications are simply using the GPU compute capabilities. In order to make them less attractive to cryptocurrency miners they would need to cripple the GPU compute capabilities somehow, which I imagine they're rather reluctant to do since it would impact other uses of GPU compute.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Manufacturers in general don't care why people buy things even when selling direct to consumers. If they're selling to a retailer at wholesale, then they really don't care. It'd probably be a bigger headache for AMD to try to adjust pricing or somehow discourage miners than it is just to put up with the shortages and whatnot while the mining craze continues.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:16 pm

It sure as hell helps AMD to sell out of GPUs as fast as they can make them. Even if AMD isn't making more per card.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Manufacturers in general don't care why people buy things even when selling direct to consumers. If they're selling to a retailer at wholesale, then they really don't care. It'd probably be a bigger headache for AMD to try to adjust pricing or somehow discourage miners than it is just to put up with the shortages and whatnot while the mining craze continues.

In this case they care a little bit because the mining market crashes the 2nd hand market price of their cards. Once new ASICs come out they are worthless to miners and it tanks the prices. They have to walk a tightrope between taking advantage of the demand and overproducing so people are buying used 480s for $100 in 3 months instead of the new shiny cards.
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 23635
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:30 pm

DPete27 wrote:
It sure as hell helps AMD to sell out of GPUs as fast as they can make them. Even if AMD isn't making more per card.

Until an ASIC comes out and the craze dies. Miners are going to dump those things on eBay for next to nothing, and then AMD will have a hard time shifting cards. Thing is nobody knows exactly when that'll happen.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
It sure as hell helps AMD to sell out of GPUs as fast as they can make them. Even if AMD isn't making more per card.

Until an ASIC comes out and the craze dies. Miners are going to dump those things on eBay for next to nothing, and then AMD will have a hard time shifting cards. Thing is nobody knows exactly when that'll happen.

I'm not sure I would buy one due to the risk of the card dying on me when I least expect it.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 48992
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 pm

whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
It sure as hell helps AMD to sell out of GPUs as fast as they can make them. Even if AMD isn't making more per card.

Until an ASIC comes out and the craze dies. Miners are going to dump those things on eBay for next to nothing, and then AMD will have a hard time shifting cards. Thing is nobody knows exactly when that'll happen.

I'm not sure I would buy one due to the risk of the card dying on me when I least expect it.

As opposed to the card dying when you DO expect it?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4815
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Until an ASIC comes out and the craze dies. Miners are going to dump those things on eBay for next to nothing, and then AMD will have a hard time shifting cards. Thing is nobody knows exactly when that'll happen.

I'm not sure I would buy one due to the risk of the card dying on me when I least expect it.

As opposed to the card dying when you DO expect it?

Well when hardware dies on me, it always does it when I can't not afford to replace it, or at least ASAP.
 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2191
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I'm not sure I would buy one due to the risk of the card dying on me when I least expect it.

As opposed to the card dying when you DO expect it?

:P

Also, whenever I'm missing something, it's always in the last place I look.
 
strangerguy
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
It sure as hell helps AMD to sell out of GPUs as fast as they can make them. Even if AMD isn't making more per card.

Until an ASIC comes out and the craze dies. Miners are going to dump those things on eBay for next to nothing, and then AMD will have a hard time shifting cards. Thing is nobody knows exactly when that'll happen.


Yup, the last crypto crash rewarded AMD with a stellar 18% discrete GPU marketshare, that will never happen again amirite?

And people wonder why NV doesn't really bother with crypto, when the competitor is so busy torpedoing itself with unneeded supply and pricing volatility.
4790K 4.4GHz | Asus H81i-Plus | 16GB Crucial VLP DDR3 | GTX 1070 | 240GB Evo 840| 1TB M550 | 3TB Seagate 7200rpm | 650W Seasonic G | Corsair H100i + 250D
 
blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:59 am

strangerguy wrote:

Yup, the last crypto crash rewarded AMD with a stellar 18% discrete GPU marketshare, that will never happen again amirite?

And people wonder why NV doesn't really bother with crypto, when the competitor is so busy torpedoing itself with unneeded supply and pricing volatility.


Won't be the same. All the studios and developers will still be working with Polaris on the XBox and PS4 platforms, all day, every day. Revenue will likely be higher then estimated as i dont remember cards being this sold out before. A lot of the gamers with RX cards will sell on ebay and get a much faster/lower power GTX 1070 or even GTX 1080.

AMD happy
Gamers happy
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Manufacturers in general don't care why people buy things even when selling direct to consumers. If they're selling to a retailer at wholesale, then they really don't care. It'd probably be a bigger headache for AMD to try to adjust pricing or somehow discourage miners than it is just to put up with the shortages and whatnot while the mining craze continues.


AMD's stock is taking a beating due to this. They care quite a bit.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:07 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
AMD's stock is taking a beating due to this.


Is it? I'm no economist, but after a little quick googling I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary to my un-trained eye. I'd expect there to be a bit more volatility in regards to AMD since a greater portion of their total market cap is being traded every day, but again I could be completely off my rocker here. I'll admit I'm always a little dubious of claims like that anyway. Lots of smart people have been trying to predict the stock market for a very long time now and nobody seems to be able to get it right.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 am

DPete27 wrote:
As enticing as it was to sell my $210 RX480 for $400, I chose to enter into Ethereum mining last night. Figured I'd try it for a month and see what it's all about. Heck, according to ROI calculators, my one RX480 should net me $150/mo profit (after power bill). And at least I can still play games, whereas I obviously couldn't if I sold my GPU.

But how many months has this gone on and how many months is it likely to continue? If this doesn't go on much longer, will it be worth the added heat output and possible inconvenience of having to mess with all of this?

If this chart is to be believed, Ethereum was worth about one quarter of its current value just ONE MONTH ago, and it is currently dropping. If it drops back to that level, you're looking at maybe $40 a month. If you just sell your 480, you could immediately get what could be 10 months (or more, depending on how badly the price drops) worth of mining and enjoy gaming on a faster GPU without having to worry about heat, power draw and wear on your system, not to mention your time spent doing all of this.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970 - Samsung SM841 128GB
Laptop - Asus Q500A - Core i5 3210M - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 840 EVO 256GB - AUO 1080P
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 64GB Crucial C300 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am

Well, my used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC just sold in 2 days for $559.99.

That's a solid $325 more than I paid for it.

Amazing times we live in. Basically, I sold my card for more profit than I could reasonable expect to make off of it before it died after 24/7 use in mining.

Probably won't replace it anytime soon. May spend more time watching Netflix and playing indie games that work fine on integrated graphics. I also have my gaming laptop to get me by. I'll be ont he lookout for a $300ish GTX 1070 though.

EDIT: So yeah, went a totally different way and ordered a Switch through Gamestop. With any luck, it will actually ship on 30 June. Bundle comes with Zelda, Zelda DLC and a Pro Controller for $449, $50 in tax/shipping. So, with the $300 profit from this sale, plus my $65 in gift cards, whole package only cost $135. Not bad. Only PC game I'm really interested in that I know about is Anthem, and that's not out for a year or so. Divinity Original Sin II comes out before then, but I can play that on my laptop.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well, the mining applications are simply using the GPU compute capabilities. In order to make them less attractive to cryptocurrency miners they would need to cripple the GPU compute capabilities somehow, which I imagine they're rather reluctant to do since it would impact other uses of GPU compute.


I get that, but Nvidia's GPUs are as good or better than AMD's for gaming, but apparently are lacking in this compute area that makes AMD's good miner's. Seems to me that AMD could release two SKU's - one with the compute enabled for "mining" and one with it hampered to Nvidia's level for gaming. Bam. Problem solved?
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Well, the mining applications are simply using the GPU compute capabilities. In order to make them less attractive to cryptocurrency miners they would need to cripple the GPU compute capabilities somehow, which I imagine they're rather reluctant to do since it would impact other uses of GPU compute.


I get that, but Nvidia's GPUs are as good or better than AMD's for gaming, but apparently are lacking in this compute area that makes AMD's good miner's. Seems to me that AMD could release two SKU's - one with the compute enabled for "mining" and one with it hampered to Nvidia's level for gaming. Bam. Problem solved?


That's a good idea, but AMD likely doesn't have the design resources to come out with multiple versions of each GPU core.
 
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Champaign, IL
Contact:

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Well, the mining applications are simply using the GPU compute capabilities. In order to make them less attractive to cryptocurrency miners they would need to cripple the GPU compute capabilities somehow, which I imagine they're rather reluctant to do since it would impact other uses of GPU compute.


I get that, but Nvidia's GPUs are as good or better than AMD's for gaming, but apparently are lacking in this compute area that makes AMD's good miner's. Seems to me that AMD could release two SKU's - one with the compute enabled for "mining" and one with it hampered to Nvidia's level for gaming. Bam. Problem solved?


That's a good idea, but AMD likely doesn't have the design resources to come out with multiple versions of each GPU core.

He might mean using firmware or drivers to disable it, but then the miners would just flash it anyways.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:16 pm

AMD has been known for their superior compute capabilities for quite a few generations. Removing that advantage wouldn't be a wise move. They don't have a lot of advantages working in their favor to begin with.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Compute horsepower is what keeps them competitive with NV's optimization strategy. Nerfing that because gamers aren't the only ones who happen to buy GPUs would be cutting off the face to spite the nose.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am

NovusBogus wrote:
Compute horsepower is what keeps them competitive with NV's optimization strategy. Nerfing that because gamers aren't the only ones who happen to buy GPUs would be cutting off the face to spite the nose.


I'm guessing they are looking into it. They want to grow a dedicated user base, and you can't do that if every couple of years all your GPUs are bought by and burned out by non-gamers. Hopefully this all dies down by the time Vega releases. I'd like to get a 80s level version of that for a decent price.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 am

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Well, my used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC just sold in 2 days for $559.99. That's a solid $325 more than I paid for it.

Wow. Did you have to ship international? I'm teetering back toward selling my card. Just too much hassle to mine.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:53 am

DPete27 wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
Well, my used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC just sold in 2 days for $559.99. That's a solid $325 more than I paid for it.

Wow. Did you have to ship international? I'm teetering back toward selling my card. Just too much hassle to mine.


Nope. Amazon to NC. You can probably get even more than I did since mine sold in 2 days. I shoulda tried $599.

Big thanks to Chuckula for the tip!

I'd sell if you intend to get a 1060 or 1070 instead since the 1060 is basically a lateral-grade and the 1070 is a definite upgrade. I decided to go the Switch route and will take a look at Vega when it launches. Hopefully this crazy dies down by then. Only thing I really need a new GPU for will (hopefully) be Anthem in a year or so. Everything else I can play on my laptop.

At this point, I'm probably always going to buy AMD GPUs on the off chance they more than double in price 6 months later. That's happened twice in two years with AMD, probably never with Nvidia.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests