Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

 
the
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 823
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:51 pm

I've been requested to build out a system and wow, the pricing of late is just well stupid if you just want a video card for gaming. GTX 1070s are now more expensive than GTX 1080s. GTX 1060s are hard to come by and above MSRP. AMD Polaris cards are no where to be found except the ultra, ultra low end ones which you don't want to use for gaming. Even then, I think they're starting to be picked up for mining as I saw a few slightly above MSRP.

Just for fun, I looked around for pricing on Quadro cards and some of the new Pascal models looked to have been snatched up in the mining craze. Not surprising as the street price for a few of the desktop cards have exceeded the pricing on their professional counter parts.

I'm starting to wonder if this craze will go to the extreme to start purchasing prebuilt systems with the optimal mining card (RX 580?) and using the other parts to supplement the rest of a mining gear.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4
 
LostCat
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1720
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Alphanumeric symbols.

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Looks like Best Buy still has a $250 1060 6gb. I don't know if that's normal pricing, but it seems normal.
___
oh wow nm mostly sold out. I wonder if the stores are also out...
I'm a reasonable human being...at least once a year. Most other times I'm a catgirl.
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4806
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:30 am

LostCat wrote:
Wow, the 1060s are being drained too.

...welp, good thing I still like my 290. I might be stuck with it a while.

I would imagine due to all of the Ryzen systems being built since they do need video cards and all of AMD's mid-range to high end stuff is getting brought up by miners. So Nvidia is brought up by those who are building computers.
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am

LostCat wrote:
Wow, the 1060s are being drained too.

...welp, good thing I still like my 290. I might be stuck with it a while.


I'm more-or-less happy with my 390, but the temps are insane. Supposedly within tolerances, but worrying. Not to mention the bizarre performance dips for no reason... although that might simply be the CPU.
 
Demetri
Gerbil
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:48 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:20 am

The mining cards have landed...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

So they still give you a DVI port, but no DP or HDMI. Interesting.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Ethereum is coming crashing down. Too bad, my RX480 for $600 was among the cheapest listings on Amazon. Oh well......
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
Ryu Connor
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 4185
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Contact:

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:55 am

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.
 
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm

DPete27 wrote:
At this point, I'm probably always going to buy AMD GPUs on the off chance they more than double in price 6 months later. That's happened twice in two years with AMD, probably never with Nvidia.

First 4 1070 prices on amazon this morning - $799, $730, $540, $650.

1070 out-hashing 580 w lower power consumption on ETH from legitreviews testing.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/overview/

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-RX470-4G/

Mining specific cards from Asus.


Interesting specs. Might be worth getting after card prices crash for the heatsink/fans alone. May as well use that extra engineering for a gaming card, since I tend to manually set my fan speeds.
 
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/overview/

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-RX470-4G/

Mining specific cards from Asus.


Interesting specs. Might be worth getting after card prices crash for the heatsink/fans alone. May as well use that extra engineering for a gaming card, since I tend to manually set my fan speeds.


Good luck hooking that up to a display.

Image

EDIT: Turns out the above image was for the 1060 mining.

The 470 mining *does* have video out, but it's only a single DVI-D.

Image

EDIT2: Do spoiler tags not work on img or something? Can't get them to show up.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Good luck hooking that up to a display

The 470 mining *does* have video out, but it's only a single DVI-D.


The good news is that a single DVI-D is all I'd need, since my monitor has one of those connectors.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:29 pm

So my $560 sale of my 480 didn't work out. It's actually a pretty interesting story. I have a feeling the buyer got cold feet.

I put the card in the mail on 19 June and it arrived 21 June. All should be good. Buyer requests a return authorization on 22 June claiming the card did not work in his system. Claims he reinstalled operating system and still no go. It's hard to follow since his explanation shifts from email to email. First he claims it doesn't work at all, then claims it doesn't work well, then claims his system freezes when my card is installed.

Naturally I ask him to troubleshoot. He gets rather mad and refuses, but gives more information, including that he's also trying to run an unspecified NVIDIA card in the same system. When I ask him the wattage of his PSU he says "you don't need to know the components in my system." All incredibly fishy, especially since Ethereum experienced a bad flash crash between me shipping the card and him asking for a refund.

PSA: Always use Amazon's service to buy postage. I paid for my shipping outside of Amazon at the USPS and got insurance. Amazon was absolutely zero help with my insurance claim and basically mandated that I accept the return request even though I told them repeatedly that shipping the card would invalidate the insurance. They cared not at all and actually seemed to completely misunderstand the issue the entire time.

Anyways, him and I went back and for a couple of days (all while I'm trying to get Amazon customer support to do something other than send me stock responses that don't address my issue) and he eventually files an A-Z claim, which is code name for "Give the buyer whatever the hell he wants." At that point I was forced to accept the return despite not being able to claim insurance.

So he returns the item. I get it back yesterday and plug it in my system. Shockingly (/sarcasm) the card works perfectly well. I booted up Furmark and ran test for a few minutes without issue. Booted up Mass Effect Andromeda and blew up some aliens without issues or hitches.

Based on that, I decided to charge him a restocking fee of 20%, which is quite a lot when you consider the $559.99 list price. We'll see if that sticks since I'm sure he's going to challenge it.

Card is back up for sale for even more now. We'll see how this all works out.

EDIT: Anyone actually believe his system was incompatible with my card? At best, it seems like he had an unpowered PSU that crapped out when the card ramped up. I've never heard of a GPU working perfectly in one system and not working in another.
Last edited by southrncomfortjm on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:35 pm

Welcome to ecommerce. :lol:

I've worked with companies where people would buy 10k worth of various products from the store, and then return all of it a few days later for no real reason.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Welcome to ecommerce. :lol:

I've worked with companies where people would buy 10k worth of various products from the store, and then return all of it a few days later for no real reason.


Well, yeah, I do that occasionally. Like when I buy clothes but don't feel like trying it on at the store.

This is a guy that, I believe (using some pretty good direct and circumstantial evidence), is lying about the card being defective in order to avoid the restocking fees and shipping charges. That's lame.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:52 pm

the wrote:
I've been requested to build out a system and wow, the pricing of late is just well stupid if you just want a video card for gaming. GTX 1070s are now more expensive than GTX 1080s. GTX 1060s are hard to come by and above MSRP. AMD Polaris cards are no where to be found except the ultra, ultra low end ones which you don't want to use for gaming. Even then, I think they're starting to be picked up for mining as I saw a few slightly above MSRP.

Just for fun, I looked around for pricing on Quadro cards and some of the new Pascal models looked to have been snatched up in the mining craze. Not surprising as the street price for a few of the desktop cards have exceeded the pricing on their professional counter parts.

I'm starting to wonder if this craze will go to the extreme to start purchasing prebuilt systems with the optimal mining card (RX 580?) and using the other parts to supplement the rest of a mining gear.


Best bet at this point is to get a GTX 1080. They are the only cards still near MSRP (EDIT aside from 1080 TIs and the ultra low end cards), and some even have rebates on them.

Does the 1070 really hash that much better than a 1080 that people would be willing to pay more for a 1070?
Last edited by southrncomfortjm on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 pm

They might be buying the 1070 in order to avoid GDDR5X. I've heard that with GDDR5's lower latency it can sometimes work out better for mining. Still seems like a silly idea to me though. Comparing the same GPU with two different types of memory is one thing, but I would think the 1080 would be faster anyway.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Redocbew wrote:
They might be buying the 1070 in order to avoid GDDR5X. I've heard that with GDDR5's lower latency it can sometimes work out better for mining. Still seems like a silly idea to me though. Comparing the same GPU with two different types of memory is one thing, but I would think the 1080 would be faster anyway.


That makes sense then. From the little I know, Ethereum hashing is all about memory speeds and latency.

If my card sells at the higher price, I'm going to get a 1080.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
Anyone actually believe his system was incompatible with my card?

If it was an OEM tower, yeah (regardless of the PSU). There have been a number of TR forum comments about UEFI GPUs not working in OEM machines.
The more likely answer is the one that you stated. The Ethereum bubble burst and the buyer didn't want to be on the hook for a super expensive card they couldn't make ROI on .
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:11 pm

DPete27 wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
Anyone actually believe his system was incompatible with my card?

If it was an OEM tower, yeah (regardless of the PSU). There have been a number of TR forum comments about UEFI GPUs not working in OEM machines.
The more likely answer is the one that you stated. The Ethereum bubble burst and the buyer didn't want to be on the hook for a super expensive card they couldn't make ROI on .


Yeah, and unless it was a really high end system already, it wouldn't have the PSU needed to power the 480, much less a 480 and another GPU.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 pm

Redocbew wrote:
They might be buying the 1070 in order to avoid GDDR5X. I've heard that with GDDR5's lower latency it can sometimes work out better for mining. Still seems like a silly idea to me though. Comparing the same GPU with two different types of memory is one thing, but I would think the 1080 would be faster anyway.


Sadly, nope.

GTX 1070: 27.35 MH/s
GTX 1080: 23.5 MH/s

With some memory OC tweaks, they were able to get the 1070 to 31.5 MH/s at full power, or 31.2 MH/s at 70% power limit.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:09 pm

One of my favorite things about the Internet is there's always someone out there smarter than me. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4806
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:13 pm

@southrncomfortjm:
I'm sorry you ran into issues with selling your card. I guess that was a too good to be true type of thing.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:09 am

whm1974 wrote:
@southrncomfortjm:
I'm sorry you ran into issues with selling your card. I guess that was a too good to be true type of thing.


All good. Worked out pretty well actually. Amazon agreed with my 20% restocking fee, so I got paid for my troubles and have my working card back. It is now mining, so we'll see how that goes.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4806
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:11 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
@southrncomfortjm:
I'm sorry you ran into issues with selling your card. I guess that was a too good to be true type of thing.


All good. Worked out pretty well actually. Amazon agreed with my 20% restocking fee, so I got paid for my troubles and have my working card back. It is now mining, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm glad that worked out for you. So I see that the card works fine then.
 
southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:40 pm

whm1974 wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
@southrncomfortjm:
I'm sorry you ran into issues with selling your card. I guess that was a too good to be true type of thing.


All good. Worked out pretty well actually. Amazon agreed with my 20% restocking fee, so I got paid for my troubles and have my working card back. It is now mining, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm glad that worked out for you. So I see that the card works fine then.


Yep. He either installed it wrong or decided he couldn't make good money back.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10
 
whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4806
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 pm

southrncomfortjm wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
southrncomfortjm wrote:

All good. Worked out pretty well actually. Amazon agreed with my 20% restocking fee, so I got paid for my troubles and have my working card back. It is now mining, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm glad that worked out for you. So I see that the card works fine then.


Yep. He either installed it wrong or decided he couldn't make good money back.

I would think at this stage it is hard to make money off of coin mining unless you sell equipment or you got in early and pulled out before the bubble bust.
 
freebird
Gerbil
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:03 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:41 pm

ColeLT1 wrote:
1080ti is now the best buy for the buck for hashing (some are still $699-720, I don't expect it to stay low for long). I have 3 of them hashing now making about $25 a day after power costs, one in my gaming PC when I am not gaming, and 2 in my home server. I drop the power limit from +120 (gaming) to +105 (mining) and it drops the temps from low 70s to low 60s, and only brings down the hashrate by a very small portion.

22-29mh (modded) 480/580s
35-39mh 1070
75-80mh 1080ti

The 1080 (non ti is worse for hashing vs the 1070)

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc


What are you mining? Ethereum hash rates for a 1070 run around 30-32 and even the 1080TI are listed at only around 35MH/s, so I don't know what you are mining at 75-80MH/s on your 1080TIs???
 
Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:32 pm
Location: Paragon City, RI

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:57 pm

freebird wrote:
ColeLT1 wrote:
1080ti is now the best buy for the buck for hashing (some are still $699-720, I don't expect it to stay low for long). I have 3 of them hashing now making about $25 a day after power costs, one in my gaming PC when I am not gaming, and 2 in my home server. I drop the power limit from +120 (gaming) to +105 (mining) and it drops the temps from low 70s to low 60s, and only brings down the hashrate by a very small portion.

22-29mh (modded) 480/580s
35-39mh 1070
75-80mh 1080ti

The 1080 (non ti is worse for hashing vs the 1070)

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc


What are you mining? Ethereum hash rates for a 1070 run around 30-32 and even the 1080TI are listed at only around 35MH/s, so I don't know what you are mining at 75-80MH/s on your 1080TIs???


He says he has 3 of them in a mining PC, and another 3 that may or may not be mining at any given time. His numbers should range from about 35*3 to 35*5, right? This number doesn't include the other cards mentioned, but he didn't describe what PC those are in.
 
ColeLT1
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: Jackson, MS

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
freebird wrote:
ColeLT1 wrote:
1080ti is now the best buy for the buck for hashing (some are still $699-720, I don't expect it to stay low for long). I have 3 of them hashing now making about $25 a day after power costs, one in my gaming PC when I am not gaming, and 2 in my home server. I drop the power limit from +120 (gaming) to +105 (mining) and it drops the temps from low 70s to low 60s, and only brings down the hashrate by a very small portion.

22-29mh (modded) 480/580s
35-39mh 1070
75-80mh 1080ti

The 1080 (non ti is worse for hashing vs the 1070)

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc


What are you mining? Ethereum hash rates for a 1070 run around 30-32 and even the 1080TI are listed at only around 35MH/s, so I don't know what you are mining at 75-80MH/s on your 1080TIs???


He says he has 3 of them in a mining PC, and another 3 that may or may not be mining at any given time. His numbers should range from about 35*3 to 35*5, right? This number doesn't include the other cards mentioned, but he didn't describe what PC those are in.


The 75-80MH is for each 1080ti mining Lyra2REv2, I have 5x of them currently (one is in my gaming rig, one in my home server, and 3x in a mining rig that consist of a dog crate with a box fan ziptied). About $800 a month at the current rate. I hash Lyra2REv2, Equihash, X11Ghost, Lbry, and Pascal, whatever is the most $ at that time, $5-8/day per card.

http://imgur.com/a/RjjSB
 
freebird
Gerbil
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:03 pm

Re: How about an Rx 480... for $640

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:48 pm

ColeLT1 wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
freebird wrote:

What are you mining? Ethereum hash rates for a 1070 run around 30-32 and even the 1080TI are listed at only around 35MH/s, so I don't know what you are mining at 75-80MH/s on your 1080TIs???


He says he has 3 of them in a mining PC, and another 3 that may or may not be mining at any given time. His numbers should range from about 35*3 to 35*5, right? This number doesn't include the other cards mentioned, but he didn't describe what PC those are in.


The 75-80MH is for each 1080ti mining Lyra2REv2, I have 5x of them currently (one is in my gaming rig, one in my home server, and 3x in a mining rig that consist of a dog crate with a box fan ziptied). About $800 a month at the current rate. I hash Lyra2REv2, Equihash, X11Ghost, Lbry, and Pascal, whatever is the most $ at that time, $5-8/day per card.

http://imgur.com/a/RjjSB


Ok, that makes much more "cents" now! :) Those hash rates didn't sound right for Ethereum which is the current "rage". I've been looking into mining some other crypto-currencies also, to spread my eggs around in the basket per se... that being said Nvidia cards seem to mine other crypto currencies better than AMD cards, except for Ethereum or maybe other currencies based on a "memory hard" algorithm.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests