Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

OK TR, where's the Vega OMG Unboxing Story?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm

OK, so apparently the NDA for new products like Vega now has multiple deadlines where reviewers can unbox the product prior to actually telling you performance results.

So.. given that fact.. and that I'm sure Kampman has a bunch of free time on his hands (lol) I want to see the TR mega-unboxing-palooza story with inside-the-second benchmarks for how long it took to rip the box open.

Edit: Just saw this twitter post... looks like the issue has been addressed :-P
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: OK TR, where's the Vega OMG Unboxing Story?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Frankly it's silly. I don't care what it looks like. But YouTubers need to pump out the quick and easy vids, I guess.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Perhaps slightly more seriously while it's great that TR got review samples, the rumors are that basically everybody got their samples at the last minute with a pretty short time window in which to complete the reviews. If TR has to delay another review because of insufficient time then I'm not blaming them but it is a bad situation.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Jeff Kampman
TR Staff

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm not going to jinx myself but graphics cards are much more straightforward to test than CPUs. We've automated a lot of the back-breaking data digestion work that we used to have to worry about, so getting graphs and supporting material is a lot faster and easier than it used to be. I expect to have testing data all done by the end of today and write all day tomorrow.

Yes, we are on a tight schedule, but I'm not going to let that stop me from producing as thorough a piece as possible.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:24 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Frankly it's silly. I don't care what it looks like.
This, so much. I don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea to do the first one. And once someone did one, I don't know why anybody thought "You know what we need? More of these." There are greater wastes of bandwidth on the internet, but not many. I guess there's an audience, but I don't comprehend what they get out of that "use" of their time.

raddude9
Gerbil

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:29 pm

a
Last edited by raddude9 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 pm

chuckula wrote:
Perhaps slightly more seriously while it's great that TR got review samples, the rumors are that basically everybody got their samples at the last minute with a pretty short time window in which to complete the reviews. If TR has to delay another review because of insufficient time then I'm not blaming them but it is a bad situation.

Probably better off switching gears and getting Vega done and up on Monday, and finish a little later in the week. The reason for the late Threadripper review is public knowledge and thoroughly AMD's fault already. If AMD wanted high-quality prose posted on time they should have sent Jeff his samples same time as all the YooToobas.

Also, $300-500 graphics cards are WAY more interesting to me than $600+ CPUs and $300+ motherboards.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Probably better off switching gears and getting Vega done and up on Monday, and finish a little later in the week. The reason for the late Threadripper review is public knowledge and thoroughly AMD's fault already. If AMD wanted high-quality prose posted on time they should have sent Jeff his samples same time as all the YooToobas.

Also, $300-500 graphics cards are WAY more interesting to me than $600+ CPUs and $300+ motherboards.

Agreed
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Jeff Kampman wrote:
I'm not going to jinx myself but graphics cards are much more straightforward to test than CPUs. We've automated a lot of the back-breaking data digestion work that we used to have to worry about, so getting graphs and supporting material is a lot faster and easier than it used to be. I expect to have testing data all done by the end of today and write all day tomorrow.

Yes, we are on a tight schedule, but I'm not going to let that stop me from producing as thorough a piece as possible.
It will be interesting to see if the ThreadRipper platform is in any way a better host for the Vega GPU's.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm

I liked where the one guy on the main page suggested that we send Jeff a Pentium or something and do a really hilarious over the top unboxing video. We should totally do this sometime when he's not crunching for multiple big product launches.