Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

QLED

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

Anyone have any experience with it? I just ordered a C32HG70 so I'm sure I will soon.

And yes, another Freesync display on a 1070 because if it was G-Sync it'd probably be $900-1100 instead of $600.
Meow.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: QLED

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:31 am

QLED = marketing = LCD with maybe wider color range.

LostCat
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am

meerkt wrote:
QLED = marketing = LCD with maybe wider color range.

You could've just said no and had an equally useless post.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I've seen quantum-dot TVs and they do seem bright and vivid, but I would imagine needing to turn them down a lot for gaming sessions unless you want seared retinas!

I think Samsung is just using quantum dot films to improve the gamut of their LED backlights. In a standard white-LED backlight, the light is emitted is a broad range of frequencies and then the respective polarising filters and colour filters take just a small amount of this light and filter out the rest.

Quantum dot films apparently sit in front of the backlight and absorb the broad-spectrum white light and emit red, green, and blue frequency light - I'm guessing that the quantum dot film contains a mix of quantum dots tuned to emit at each frequency and they effectively convert the wasted frequencies that are normally filtered out from a WLED backlight into useful frequencies that will pass through the respective red, blue and green filters for each subpixel. Less light blocked by the filters means that the image should be brighter and more vivid than it otherwise would be.

The TL;DR outcome is that Samsung's QLED panels ought to be capable of performing as if they had dedicated RGBLED backlights instead of standard white-LED backlights.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

LostCat
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 pm

It's more the colors that concern me rather than brightness. I still can't believe how good even web or old RPG maker games looked on my TV (Leeco X43 dealie having issues with PC gaming.)

I was waiting for OLED for a really long time but I doubt it'll be affordable anytime soon. HDR is pretty awesome, and the Xbox One X will support 1440p down the road apparently...it'll be on my 4K TV until then anyway.

I never cared about 4K so the 32CHG70 coming at me should be good kit.
Meow.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 pm

LostCat, I have the 24" version.

The brightness is insane. Easily 3-4x as bright as my trusty old IPS Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP. The strange part about the brightness is that you don't lose any contrast (and it's a curved VA panel so no IPS glow and I didn't have any backlight bleed on my unit). It definitely takes some getting used to though.

There are down sides, mostly you'll notice 1) all your other expensive monitors look bad in comparison, 2) good luck trying to use it at night without lighting up most of the room, and 3) trying to color balance it (at least in Windows) is an exercise in masochism. It doesn't look too far off, but trying to modify the color balance in software only makes things worse than the 'okay' factory settings.

LostCat
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Cool. I usually go with the factory settings for calibration anyway because I don't even know where to start, still.

Night could be a problem I guess, I'm always up at night anyway o.o
Meow.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:42 pm

LostCat wrote:
You could've just said no and had an equally useless post.
The thread title suggested that's the marquee point, rather than the specific monitor model.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
The strange part about the brightness is that you don't lose any contrast (and it's a curved VA panel so no IPS glow and I didn't have any backlight bleed on my unit).
The dynamic range is great when the monitor is at the same elevation as my eyes. After decades of using UltraSharp IPS displays that look the same from nearly any angle, I've been a bit surprised at how quickly the contrast decreases when you look down on the Samsung VA monitor from an elevated view. Walk up to your desk and things look a bit gray. Sit down and the contrast between the blacks and whites is very impressive.

Vhalidictes wrote:
2) good luck trying to use it at night without lighting up most of the room, and 3) trying to color balance it is an exercise in masochism.
I can agree with both of these observations. I intend to spend some time learning how to tweak the color balance in the future. Out of the box, whites are very white, blacks are very black, but grays are a little pinkish.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
LostCat, I have the 24" version.

The brightness is insane. Easily 3-4x as bright as my trusty old IPS Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP. The strange part about the brightness is that you don't lose any contrast (and it's a curved VA panel so no IPS glow and I didn't have any backlight bleed on my unit). It definitely takes some getting used to though.

This is simply not even close to true. Below are some of Samsungs Quantum Dot monitors. Specs taken from Samsung or Dell websites.

The brightness from Dell for the 2007WFP is "300cd/m2 Typical"
The brightness from Samsung for the CFG70 is "350cd/m2" (I believe this is the 24" version you're referring to)
The brightness from Samsung for the CHG70 is "350cd/m2 (Typ.), 300cd/m2 (Min.)"
The brightness from Samsung for the CFG73 is "350cd/m2 (Typ.), 250cd/m2 (Min.)"
The brightness from Samsung for the CHG90 is "350cd/m2 (Typ.), 250cd/m2 (Min.)"
The brightness from Samsung for the UHD850 is "250cd/m2"
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

LostCat
Topic Author

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm

meerkt wrote:
The thread title suggested that's the marquee point, rather than the specific monitor model.

The marquee point would be the question in the first post, not the title itself.

But whatever works I guess I got the answers I was interested in.

I should have it Tuesday I think?
Meow.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: brightness, two effects at play here. First, that Dell monitor is quite old and the backlight on it has seen some use.

Second, the great contrast of these Samsung panels probably lets the user run them at a higher brightness without losing black level or otherwise screwing up the colors.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

LostCat
Topic Author

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Wow firmware updates. I don't think I've ever actually seen a monitor with those.
Meow.

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:47 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
The TL;DR outcome is that Samsung's QLED panels ought to be capable of performing as if they had dedicated RGBLED backlights instead of standard white-LED backlights.

I don't think they're anywhere near as wide as RGB backlights yet, but they do seem to be just an alternate way of achieving a wide gamut backlight with the same trade-offs as any other wide gamut monitor.

That is, any program that isn't colour managed will show over saturated colours compared to what was intended. And right now that's most programs, even some web browsers have issues.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:34 am

You're right, they perform closer to RB+G backlights, which are all but nonexistent now. Even so, compared to WLED backlights, the difference is very noticeable.

Oversaturation of colours isn't the fault of programs without colour management, it's the fault of the user for setting the colour output mode of their graphics drivers correctly. It's entirely possible to make a TV or monitor with better-than-sRGB gamut display colours correctly by simply enabling the sRGB output from the drivers. Just because the QLED TV or monitor is capable of much higher Rec.2020 or AdobeRGB gamuts doesn't mean that you're forced to incorrectly map applications and games using sRGB-designed output to the wider gamut.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

LostCat
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:26 am

I'd take oversaturation to what I get now. I suspect this Omen 32 is tuned to low blue light by default and it just looks off with some images and just kind of wrong in general, though it's not horrible.

My TV looked amazing, if it wasn't for the 1440p30 and the shutting off and being hard to recover in some situations I would've kept using it.

I actually almost bought the 32CHG70 at launch but they were backordered and hadn't said anything so I cancelled it until now. With the firmware updates and all, maybe that's a good thing. =)
Meow.

LostCat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:21 am

Definitely can't complain. This screen even makes the Xbox One output look good :lol: Still can't wait for the X1X of course. :)
Meow.