Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

LauRoman
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

What is the temp needed for the second fan on Old-ish Gigabyte Radeon 6850 to spin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:30 pm

The second fan is the one nearest to the pcie power port.

It does not seem to spin. I have had it for a long while and do not remember seeing it spin (which is not to say that never has happened, just that i don't remember).

It is a secondary pc sitting in a workroom. That room does not get dusty so i rarely clean any pc sitting there. I have cleaned this one a month ago and yesterday i ran furmark on that card for the first time ever and it does not appear to be stressing out the card beyond 76-78 C.

I understand that high temperatures are not abnormal for gpus but i would lile to know if the second fan should have kicked in at a lower temperature than this or it needs to be at 100 C or something.

If not, how can i raise the temp on it to see when/if it starts up?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: What is the temp needed for the second fan on Old-ish Gigabyte Radeon 6850 to spin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 pm

On graphics cards, both fans are supposed to spin at the same time.

Either both the fans are off, if it's a model that supports fan-off at low loads, or both fans should be running.

Does it spin freely if you poke it with your finger, or does it resist being moved?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil First Class

Re: What is the temp needed for the second fan on Old-ish Gigabyte Radeon 6850 to spin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:04 pm

LauRoman wrote:
i ran furmark on that card for the first time ever and it does not appear to be stressing out the card beyond 76-78 C.

At those temperatures, I would expect the fan to be running. Very few graphics cards will power down fans in the first place, but they should definitely be working hard then---that's very hot, ~170F.

The fan is most likely defective, or it may have a loose power connector.

LauRoman
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I have an MSI gpu on the main pc with twin frozr fans, one of which hardly ever spins and even the second ones stops at idle, sometimes. So both fans spinnin is not a must. Don't know if similar tech was available to the windforce fans cca 2011 when i got that 6850.

As for the poking, it spins freely, definitely not snagging on wires or anything like that.

LauRoman
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Looked closer at the card fan connectors and Y cable (one that spins has 3 and the "dead one" has 2), it definitely should have spun up. It is too late here but will open it up and use a continuity tester to figure out if the cable is damaged anywhere.

LE:

FIXED IT!

Looked at the Y cable and the voltage pin was not connected to the cable (red). Good thing the connector had a solid metal part sticking out so that i could solder the cable back to it. Don't know i have the tools or dexterity to crimp cables that thin and soft.

Both fans spin now and the one that sits nearer to the chip spins up more when the card is under heavier load (most likely from the aditional voltage supplied via the extra wire).

Temperatures not that different under load, 69-70 now compared to 76-78, which is probably why i did not noticed sooner, especially when idling, difference is probably smaller.

I was not the one that noticed. It was my nephew :). Ever since he was 5 and came to visit the first thing he asks is "can we fix something". He helped me or watched (if it was too dangerous) fix stuff from replacing broken shovel handles to changing broken outlets, replacing heater components or pipes, modding or fixing pcs, some of his toys or tri/bike.
Last edited by LauRoman on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

a_non_moose
Gerbil

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Just a SWAG, but I'd imagine that one is the primary for PWM info and the 2nd/3rd drawing power balance out
for an overall power load/draw.

Similar issue with a 6850 where one fan spins and the other not at all (seized up, no way to add oil).

Replacing both because despite dust levels if you try to spin it manually and it does not spin freely...oil or replace.
(no way to insert oil on these sealed fans..sooo)

If the fan is not spinning: manage profile to make both more active, or check them on boot and/or try some folding
and monitor temps. If these things don't get it spinning, check connections and replace...I'd say.