Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

New AMD FirePro keeps crashing

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi,

I have 12 Monitor setup that is run by three ATI FirePro 2460 GDDR3 512 MB cards.

Each card has 4 ports so each runs 4 monitors. I have been using this setup or last 5 years for displaying stock charts & using other regular applications including playing YouTube & regular videos. I DO NOT play any games at all.

I never had any problem with setup for last 5 years.

Recently one of the cards died so I bought a new one. But new one has identical specs except it has GDDR5 instead of GDDR3.

Now whenever I play YouTube videos, the new card crashes after few minutes. So 4 monitors that are connected to that video card goes blank & also keyboard & mouse freezes.

So I have to shut down the CPU using start button & Restart it & again all 12 monitors start working.

But then if I play YouTube videos, new card crashes after a while. Crashing time is random.

What seems to be a problem ? Is it because new card has GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 that other two cards have & thus it is not compatible with two other cards ? All cards are identical except the new one has GDDR5 instead of GDDR3.

Please help.

Thank You

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Re: New AMD FirePro keeps crashing

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 pm

1) A long shot but if the card has any minor revisional differences other than (and possibly including) the GDDR5, the driver may glitch just enough now and then.

2) No judgment b/c I do this too sometimes, but if the card is used (say, from the bay or otherwise) it may have just enough usage, or led a less than perfect life, or just naturally begin to fail early.

3) The card, whether used or NOS, may have less than ideal thermal compound under the heatsink. Youtube may heat up the card in a way that desktop usage does not. Also, verify (for sure) that the fan on this card is spinning properly.

4) I'm reaching here, but while 512MB is fine for 2D HD resolution and several monitors of it, modern Youtube may be pushing across the blurry line into a more 3D-like accelerated universe. These older 512MB cards MAY lack the necessary acceleration features to not heat up significantly, and/or may lack enough 2D frame buffer once it's split 4 ways. I don't know if it can be dynamically reassigned, although I imagine it could.

5) Windows Update. (Btw, what Windows is this? I'm gonna guess 7.) Graphics driver update. [I hope not, as old as these cards are. Ask BlueIris users about recent Intel drivers and their memory leaks. :( ] Other updates? Enough clean wall power to the whole project? PSU aging? (edit - formatting)

6) Monitor things with GPUZ, HWMonitor 1.33, HwInfo64, etc, and see (just for fun) what's going with temps, voltages, buffer and memory pressure (if reported like on newest cards), powercap reasons, all that stuff.

7) The Newegg reviews for the GDDR5 version start on July 1st, 2010. You know what I'm going to say next...right?
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 am

As JBI said in your other thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120203&p=1365267#p1365267) I would install the latest drivers as a first fix.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 am

Before I try installing new drivers, let me clarify the 7 excellent point that "Silver subscriber" has made & yes I did get the idea of installing new drivers from him too.
1) Good Idea but your point 5) says that these are old cards so would driver update make any difference ? Current installed drivers are 2 years old & yes new drivers are available.

2) It is a brand new card from a sealed box but yes, it was bought from eBay.

3) This card does not have Fan. Just fins for cooling. Also I have run YouTube & all kinds of videos with these GDDR3 cards for 5 years with no problem ever. So GDDR5 is the culprit ?

4) No 3) answers this question.

5) PSU is brand new with more than enough power 1300 watts. These cards use only 65 watts. Yes, I am using Win-7 with updates. Can you clarify the Intel drivers & their memory leaks ?

6) Can you suggest software to measure all this stuff ? I have never used it but again you have a good point.

7) Not really but I guess that GDDR5 is too old ?

Please reply.
Thank You.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:38 pm

The move from GDDR3 to GDDR5 isn't a small one. There are a number of electrical differences in communication. It is within reason that there is some sort of timing bug in the old driver that GDDR3 didn't trip.

It's also possible your gut feeling that the driver shouldn't be the issue is right and the card is just defective (bad electrical component, solder joint, etc).

You're gonna have to start poking the bear to find out what the reality is.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 pm

dan99t wrote:
6) Can you suggest software to measure all this stuff ? I have never used it but again you have a good point.

7) Not really but I guess that GDDR5 is too old ?

6) I just did! HWMonitor 1.33 is the name of a great utility. HWinfo64 is another. GPUZ is easiest of all for this situation. It has a dropdown box at the bottom to switch between cards, and pretty graphs for temp, voltage, etc.

7) No, not that GDDR5 is too old...that your GPUs are too old!

Seriously dude, time to get to troubleshooting.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.