Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Video card prices

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am

GTX 570's don't have displayport. That wasn't a thing on any 500 model cards.

Dashbarron are you sure you don't need to manually change the display input to HDMI? My monitor sits at the last input used until I manually change it to a different input.

The Egg

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 am

The Egg wrote:
There will be a new moon at 8:17PM CT tonight.......perhaps if we all go outside and frantically perform Double Dream Hands, the downward trend will turn into a full meltdown.

Arstechnica: Cryptocurrency Bloodbath Continues

Coincidence? :wink:

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

I'm desperate enough for a new video card this year that I'm willing to start waving my arms around, yes.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Kougar wrote:

The 590 had DisplayPort.

So did some models of the 570.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Redocbew

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 pm

The Egg wrote:

Wait, what the crap did I just watch?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm

It only cost 10000 dollars per 1 bitcoin because the "market" said so and people accept it.
Chicago Med did much damage, methinks, because Dr Charles, on that show, paid the ransom of dun dun dun 2 bitcoins or some such.
I applaud Greys Anatomy characters for not surrendering... We'll see what happens on that show....

Anyway, my point of this post is that how would you spend it? I know the news says so and so shady government is hoarding the bitcoins... So if someone won't sell let's say oil to them via USD, who's going to sell oil to them with bitcoin? If so, why?

Let's say after spending 10000 dollars and by miraculous means via cheap electricity you get 3 bitcoins. You go to a newegg type place that accept it. You try to buy dream machine 2018 with 3 bitcoins, but the site tell you no you need 6 bitcoins at this moment. Who are you going to complain to?

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Kougar wrote:

Dashbarron are you sure you don't need to manually change the display input to HDMI? My monitor sits at the last input used until I manually change it to a different input.

Well...now I feel really dumb. And several hundred dollars poorer.

Kougar

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm

WTH, I was pretty sure Dashbarron posted his own thread. I think an admin accidentally merged threads?

Ryu Connor wrote:
Kougar wrote:

The 590 had DisplayPort.

dual-GPU cards like the 590 are not typical cards. Interesting that EVGA added DP ports on some of its models. Still, the majority of EVGA's models including the NVIDIA reference design were 2x DVI + mini HDMI.

dashbarron wrote:

Did that fix the problem for you?? If you meant the 570's Ryu did find a few models with displayports.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Kougar wrote:
WTH, I was pretty sure Dashbarron posted his own thread. I think an admin accidentally merged threads?

Ryu Connor wrote:
Kougar wrote:

The 590 had DisplayPort.

dual-GPU cards like the 590 are not typical cards. Interesting that EVGA added DP ports on some of its models. Still, the majority of EVGA's models including the NVIDIA reference design were 2x DVI + mini HDMI.

dashbarron wrote:

Did that fix the problem for you?? If you meant the 570's Ryu did find a few models with displayports.

YES! My 570 doesn't have displayport, just a mini-hdmi. I'm using a mini-hdmi. I used a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to make it work, and then switched the input. The book says it limits it to 1920 with HDMI, so the new card is needed anyways. Makes me feel better. But at least I can get it setup and use while I wait for a new card.

Thanks chap. I dont care what Meadows says, you're alright.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 am

Yeah, HDMI can't do dual-link DVI, 1920x1200 is the max for single-link DVI.

DisplayPort could, with an active adapter, go to dual-link DVI, but...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am

I had forgotten that NVidia and their board partners resisted adopting the DisplayPort standard for as long as they did. Radeon HD 5000 series cards had ubiquitous DisplayPort outputs more than a year before your GeForce GTX 570 was manufactured.

DVI should eventually disappear from newer devices since single-link DVI can connect to HDMI with a passive cable and there are plenty of reliable DisplayPort to DVI active adapters. Concerns over the licensing cost for HDMI versus DisplayPort seem inconsequential in light of the currently soaring prices of gaming graphics cards.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

kvndoom

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 am

You know, I remember when Folding was a big thing and we would try to borg computers to help with the cause... but many were hesitant due to the hardware and electricity costs of philanthropy. Or SETI, for that matter.

So take the distributed computing principle of F@H but make it profitable. Now look where we are.

That said, who wants to help start up FoldingCoin or SETICoin? Sequence DNA, find alien life, and make a buck all at the same time??? :roll:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:33 am

kvndoom wrote:
That said, who wants to help start up FoldingCoin or SETICoin? Sequence DNA, find alien life, and make a buck all at the same time???

You've just described 3-4 different ICOs. :lol:

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 am

A great Aprils Fools joke this year would be "New Egg has a GTX 1070 for buy one, pay for two". Oh, wait... :(
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am

To think over 2 years ago I was debating whether I should pull the trigger and get my GTX 970 or wait for the next generation. We only briefly saw any improvement in price/performance, and now we're back to having worse value from cards than we had 2-3 years ago...
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am

Pville_Piper wrote:
A great Aprils Fools joke this year would be "New Egg has a GTX 1070 for buy one, pay for two". Oh, wait... :(

Kind of a "Buy 2, get -1 free" deal, eh?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:19 am

JBI wrote:
Kind of a "Buy 2, get -1 free" deal, eh?

Genuine laughter.

Visceral groan.

Resigned sigh.

Kougar

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Glorious wrote:
kvndoom wrote:
That said, who wants to help start up FoldingCoin or SETICoin? Sequence DNA, find alien life, and make a buck all at the same time???

You've just described 3-4 different ICOs. :lol:

Yeah, there are a bunch of coins for that already Kvndoom. In fact, CureCoin is at the top of the F@H ranking by a wide margin. To give a sense of scale here, Curecoin has a higher PPD than the top 100 teams list combined, then multiplied several times over. And it's still increasing. :P That's not even the only folding coin, there's a few others.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:33 am

An interesting development...

NVIDIA Asks Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead
The company wants its cards to go to gamers instead and it’s trying to do so by directly selling on its website and asking its retail partners to limit orders to two cards per person.

NVIDIA states that retailers have the freedom to follow or ignore its recommendations and that it can’t directly intervene in how they choose to run their businesses. This is where direct-selling by NVIDIA on its website plays a key role. The company can implement all the measures it sees fit to make sure that at least graphics cards sold directly by it, go to gamers instead of miners.

I really don't expect retailers to limit the quantities of cards sold (thereby forgoing some of the profits they're currently reaping), but I'm curious to see if the direct selling on the NVIDIA website actually improves supply for gamers. Of course, this means that any cards sold directly by NVIDIA are cards that are NOT being wholesaled to retailers, so I wonder if there will be any repercussions from said retailers who are going to be justifiably peeved at the reduction of the marked up profits they've been seeing recently. My guess is they'll just jack up the retail prices even further on the cards that they DO have in order to compensate.

Attempting to get around the law of supply and demand usually doesn't succeed, so I think they have an uphill battle ahead of them.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:42 pm

I think they know that in the end it wouldn't make much of a difference anyways. Instead it's a way for Nvidia to sympathize with gamers while laughing all the way to the bank.

It's not like we're dealing with a handful of miners. Even limiting it to one per customer would still see them fly off the shelf and we saw that with the Asus bundle linked earlier, that was limited to 1 per customer and it was sold out in hours. There is such a large volume of miners and scalpers that even if they buy one each, they are still going to sell out before the gamers can get their hands on one.

The only thing that can fix this is making it undesirable for miners to use consumer GPUs. Be it through a change in how the currency is mined on the blockchain side, a all-out crash of digital currencies, a hardware/firmware change in the cards that limit their output, or another ASIC player that provides a better hash per dollar (and have enough supply to meet demand of course).

This is the first time I've realized that the only way I'm going to be able to get a video card this year is to buy a new card as soon as it's released, before the miners get a chance to spread the word on how good it is. Even then I have to wonder if that approach will work as they will probably all assume and pre-order till exhaustion anyways.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Kougar

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:14 pm

That seems like mostly lip service. Frys had limited quantity on models for awhile, Microcenter has been limiting quantity for a year now, and any sort of promotion with cards is limited to a quantity of 1-2 on Newegg. Even with a limit of one, there's some guy that bought 11 of those Gigabyte GPUs this week and is now selling 11 Z370 Gaming motherboards. So even a quantity of one doesn't make any difference.

On the flipside, The GB Z370 Gaming WIFI motherboard is selling for $100 in many places, despite being a higher model than the $150 Ultra Gaming Gigabyte sells everywhere else. :P

the
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:57 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I had forgotten that NVidia and their board partners resisted adopting the DisplayPort standard for as long as they did. Radeon HD 5000 series cards had ubiquitous DisplayPort outputs more than a year before your GeForce GTX 570 was manufactured.

DVI should eventually disappear from newer devices since single-link DVI can connect to HDMI with a passive cable and there are plenty of reliable DisplayPort to DVI active adapters. Concerns over the licensing cost for HDMI versus DisplayPort seem inconsequential in light of the currently soaring prices of gaming graphics cards.

DVI still lingers because of the influx of cheap dual link 2560 x 1600 and 2560 x 1440 displays a few years back. A good chunk of those could only run the higher resolution using dual link DVI even if they had an HDMI v1.2 port as some did.

The problem with soaring prices is that the graphics card manufacturers are not recouping any of the price increases. Retailers are the ones who are fleecing the consumers due to supply and demand.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Is there a good site to scout out availability of techy products?

Kougar

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Looks like the dip in prices is over. Those GB cards with free boards turned out ot be a "good" price after all. :o https://imgur.com/moZjblW

dashbarron wrote:
Is there a good site to scout out availability of techy products?

Not really. What sites that do exist are used by miners too, so good luck with those. If you are in need of a gaming GPU, your best bet is to visit the local PC shop and ask them what day they will get a shipment of the card you want. And be sure to buy it that same day. Otherwise your best bet is to check e-tailers at the start of every day, they tend to sell whatever they get in by noon.

Edit: TTR really needs to fix the spaces vanishing between emotes and URLs with the forum software.

Redocbew

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Whoever those people are I hate them, and not just because they apparently had at least 50k to drop on a whim. If I could do the same, I sure as hell wouldn't be spending it on hardware.

I've always felt a little bad about having a pile of parts here which I never put together, but now I think I might just proclaim myself a frickin genius for buying that stuff when I did.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Whoever those people are I hate them, and not just because they apparently had at least 50k to drop on a whim. If I could do the same, I sure as hell wouldn't be spending it on hardware.

This is the kind of spending that ends up crashing markets and putting people into bankruptcy. It's a bubble, and I don't understand how everyone is so blind to it. Sure, get in while it's good works for some, but jesus is the risk sky-high that you end up losing everything.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm waiting for the 1080Ti Tulip Edition.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I'm waiting for the 1080Ti Tulip Edition.
https://news.developer.nvidia.com/infer ... -tensorrt/ :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 am

Waco wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

This is the kind of spending that ends up crashing markets and putting people into bankruptcy. It's a bubble, and I don't understand how everyone is so blind to it. Sure, get in while it's good works for some, but jesus is the risk sky-high that you end up losing everything.

People have been told over and over in life that they are special, and they are different. Everyone thinks they can beat out the market. It's like Salmon to spawn, most don't make it back.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Kougar

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Used R9 380 4GB cards are now selling quickly at $275 on ebay, and are about to hit the $300 listings. For a used, non-X, three year old rebadge of a five year old meh AMD GPU. Boggles the mind.