Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Video card prices

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:00 am

Aranarth wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
The price drop is because there's tangible evidence that vastly superior Etherium ASICs are releasing soon.

There's still Monaro for miners to waste GPU resources and electricity on, but Etherium miners are the lion's share of the Crypto-mining market right now.

And people said that it couldn't be done... It was specifically designed not to allow you to an asic to mine etherium...

Anything that can be done with a GPU can be done with a sufficiently sophisticated ASIC. Ethereum made things difficult by requiring lots of RAM, forcing the ASIC designers to incorporate high-speed DRAM interfaces onto the ASICs and lots of RAM onto the mining cards. This doesn't make it impossible, it just drives cost and complexity up.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:44 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
The price drop is because there's tangible evidence that vastly superior Etherium ASICs are releasing soon.

But...
Ethereum EIP suggestion wrote:
I believe it is the accepted wisdom that ASIC based mining leads to increases centralization when compared to GPU mining.
Should we hard fork to make ASIC mining harder and to demonstrate a willingness to hard fork any future ASIC based ethereum mining.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 am

Prices have been coming down through "sales" or pre-order prices. I've seen a couple 1070-1080 prices within about $50 of list price. And I've seen that Nvidia has had FE cards in stock for a few hours on occasion so things aren't selling out immediately.

My main reason that I might want to buy one is VR with a GTX 970 is a little problematic. Fortunately, the main game I play in VR is Elite Dangerous and I managed to get it looking pretty decent and get decent performance out of the card. Out in space the game will run well with 90 fps but around station, on the planet surface or in the station menus the card has issues running without ASW(Asynchronous Spacewarp). So I set the settings as high as I could and still maintain 45 fps with ASW running. This has the beifit that when ASW starts kicking in, it stays in and you get reasonably smooth gameplay without a lot of artifacts or juddering that happens when ASW kicks in and out.

So for now, I'm ok with the GTX 970 and I'll wait for the next gen cards as I hope they will bring some VR specific improvements and a little more speed for about the same price... I know, I'm dreamer!
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:02 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I'm worried about the long-term damage from this mining thing. It wasn't that long ago that the entry to a half way decent gaming card was well over $300. But those days $500+ CPU's were not uncommon. But it may have reset the market's expectation. Same with RAM. Perception of value is powerful.

My own perception here is that mining and high prices have harmed PC gaming over an extended period of time. I could be wrong about the real results, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:13 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
With the inevitable cryptocoin mining crash beginning to take hold (coin values are down to a third of their mid-December peak), a few graphics cards are actually in stock at your favorite e-tailers.

Ethereum is down to where it was mid-November now, back when you -could- buy graphics cards for only slightly inflated MSRP and I *almost* did.

Lo and behold: now cards are not only on the shelves again (albeit with sticker shock, but prices are infamously sticky in the reverse direction), but people just this week have bought direct from Nvidia for only slightly inflated MSRP.

How about that!

Chrispy_ wrote:

There are lot of things going on, and I'm not even sure if I'd hazard that being the biggest one.

The Government is now not just suing the ICOs that are predominantly performed on the Eth network, but they've actually started arresting outright. That's pretty serious, usually they start with civil sanction and build that into criminal if they are so inclined. Heck, the Canadian Government has already sentenced one.

In other words, the deluge of SEC lawsuits about how these are obviously securities and no, you can't just say "crypto" (or anything, it literally doesn't matter what incantation bamboozle yourself & others with: Howey gonna Howey) and get a free pass for your shenanigans, aren't even dramatic enough. We're in the big leagues now.

JBI wrote:
Anything that can be done with a GPU can be done with a sufficiently sophisticated ASIC. Ethereum made things difficult by requiring lots of RAM, forcing the ASIC designers to incorporate high-speed DRAM interfaces onto the ASICs and lots of RAM onto the mining cards. This doesn't make it impossible, it just drives cost and complexity up.

Exactly, the trade-off was economic and it just so happened that GPUs already were in the sweet-spot for semi-related technical reasons.

But this ASIC is going take take 800 watts to do 180MH/s at $800 USD. All of those could change for the worst, and almost certainly will, and they are not even pretending to that they are going to ship until 3 months from now.

In other words, even as optimistically stated, it's only roughly 5 times faster than a good GPU for likely 2.5x or so more energy. The cost is obviously competitive (at inflated prices, like 6-7 times less, but at MSRP, maybe 2-4 depending on card choice?), but since actual availability is going to be non-existent, the cost really isn't all that relevant anyway

Basically, it's on the order of a doubling of the typical watt-efficiency. That's, uh, really, really paltry.

When the original Antminer S1 was released (also by bitmain, just like the upcoming ASIC eth miner) ~5 years ago, it was 180GH/s for ~350 watts.

My i7-8700k, the most recently released CPU by Intel, is probably around 100MH/s for BTC, and the power usage at full bore is maybe 1/2 of that S1 at best?

In other words, like the first BTC ASIC was like a 3 orders of magnitude of increase in hashrate and efficiency.

--

Do you see the difference Aranarth? They "did it", but uh, Ethereum can hardfork at any time (unlike bitcoin core they show no hesitancy in doing so) and change the PoW to break this ASIC one way or another.

Meanwhile, Bitmain won't even falsely promise to ship you one for another 3 months, it'll obviously be out of stock (bitmain and S9s chronically are, for instance), and it's really not that fundamentally more powerful than a GPU.

In fact, if you could buy AMD's 580s at actual MSRP, it would only take 7 to reach the hashrate, for 1,400 USD, at ~1100 watts.

In other words, now that GPU prices are rapidly returning to being somewhat normal, you are getting like a 80% improvement in cost for a 40% improvement in efficiency. For a card that was release a year ago that was blatant refresh of a card from the year before that.

And Ethereum can break it at any time, they're not actually selling it, and the specifications probably won't be as good as promised as virtually every miner announcement->release has demonstrated.

Again, yes, they "did it". :wink:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 am

https://www.techpowerup.com/243007/bitm ... -cool-down

Bitmain's Antminer E3 ASIC generates 180MH/s for around 800W and costs $800.

That's around the same hashrate and power use as a crate rig with 6x RX480, or 4x Vega56 cards - making these ASICs 4x cheaper to mine with than the GPUs, and also being way easier to setup and manage. Hower you look at it, that's a couple of $150 power supplies, $150 of CPU/Board/RAM, $100 of PCIe risers, and around $2500 of GPU.

The Antminer is already in production, and there are at least two other companies well into the development process of ETH ASICs and those that follow developments more closely than me predict at least another ASIC to come to market in Q3 this year.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:23 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Bitmain's Antminer E3 ASIC generates 180MH/s for around 800W and costs $800.

And if you think it will actually be sold at that announced specification I refer to you to like every other miner release ever.

Chrispy_ wrote:
That's around the same hashrate and power use as a crate rig with 6x RX480, or 4x Vega56 cards - making these ASICs 4x cheaper to mine with than the GPUs, and also being way easier to setup and manage.

Only because the price of a 480 is drastically inflated, at MSRP ($200 x 6 = 1200) it's not 4 times cheaper at all. Not twice, not even half, just two-third's.

Yes, you can't find 480s at such a price, but if A) the price of ETH is dropping overall because of the eventual release of these ASICS (your own claim, in fact) and if B) the 480s are not competitive to these ASICs, why would that stay the same?

I mean, it's being attacked from both ends: absolutely (overall price) and relatively (opportunity cost versus ASIC).

Chrispy_ wrote:
Hower you look at it, that's a couple of $150 power supplies, $150 of CPU/Board/RAM, $100 of PCIe risers, and around $2500 of GPU.

Perhaps, in my case, I wouldn't actually need all that. I could pick up six 480s and starting mining this afternoon with all of them without any other purchase necessary.

I suspect this isn't dramatically uncommon for a lot of initial cryptocurrency miners either, but fair enough, I accept the point: there are ancillary costs.

Chrispy_ wrote:
The Antminer is already in production, and there are at least two other companies well into the development process of ETH ASICs and those that follow developments more closely than me predict at least another ASIC to come to market in Q3 this year.

But my point is what JBI accurately predicted a year ago:

JBI wrote:
I also have to wonder: Once you've added the complexity of the added DRAM interfaces and the cost of the DRAM itself, would ASICs still have much of an advantage over GPUs? Presumably performance will be throttled by RAM bandwidth as well, so having a more efficient hardware-based implementation of the algorithms likely won't help as much.

We don't have to wonder anymore: The answer is a ~2x advantage in performance and power efficiency at best, with the announced specifications.

Which, as I previously noted, is paltry. The original BTC ASIC miners had a THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE advantage over anything else.

Even with inflated prices etc.., you're still only even claiming a 4x capital cost improvement.

And, again, Ethereum can completely break this at any moment. They could potentially break it before you can even get one (once more, they aren't even pretending to ship for another 3 months). Unlike Bitcoin Core, as I said, the Ethereum developers are not shy when it comes to hardforks, and they're repeatedly indicated that they'd like to move away from PoW altogether: https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/P ... -Stake-FAQ

^ last touched by Vitalik not even two weeks ago!

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am

Newegg has a Gigabyte GTX 1080 for $549 with a promo card... This very close to list price. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

It kills me that it's "on sale" for more than list...

But, it's nice to see that EVGA has stock in all the cards, even if they jacked up the prices...
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 am

Prices have been a slow decline for about 2 weeks. The used market is also on a slow decline. Some used models are in a slightly faster decline like the gtx 1070ti. I assume it's because many miners projected to never hit ROI with them.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:51 pm

The 1070Ti was never as popular for mining as the 1070 so I'd expect it to get more affordable quicker than the others. 1070 and Vega will be the holdouts since the latter has the best overall GPGPU performance and the former is/was the best mix of performance, price and power efficiency. In any case it's good to hear that the supply is starting to stabilize again. Hopefully next time around it will be the GPU manufacturers that grab the markup, not the retailers, so they can pump some of it into R&D for shiny new things.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:46 am

The folks at Newegg have again lowered their price for the miners' favorite Radeon RX Vega 56. Now they want just 159% of MSRP. :roll:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 pm

I missed an Office Max online only purchase for $100 off an MSI RX 580 4GB. Brought it down to $249.99! That sucker sold ultra fast. Even with it being the 4GB version I was ready to buy it up at fairly close to MSRP.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

fullbodydenim
Gerbil

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Another thing to be aware of is the new generation of nVidia graphics card are due to be announced and released right around the same time (July - August) as this Bitmain Ethereum ASIC is scheduled to ship. If you can get these new nVidia cards right at release at reasonable MSRP prices it may dull the Bitmain launch. I'm sure these new nVidia graphics cards will immediately sell out but there may be a deluge of previous generation Pascal used cards on the market at this time as well.

kvndoom

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:01 am

My PNY GTX970 has just started getting bad coil whine over the last few weeks (bought it 2 years ago). It's actually coming out of my sound card's right channel and manifesting itself as static/hiss in my speakers (I did an L/R swap, new RCA cables and swapped 2 different amps to verify). When game FPS go up, even if I have sound muted the noise is present. It also does not vary with system volume. Swapped power supplies but no dice. Definitely coming from the video card.

Card still works fine, and I know coil whine is not a symptom of imminent failure, but that noise is really irritating. I shudder at the prospect of buying a new video card right now. I may just have to tough it out for a while and hope for a good Black Friday deal on a GTX1060.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:19 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The folks at Newegg have again lowered their price for the miners' favorite Radeon RX Vega 56. Now they want just 159% of MSRP. :roll:

I love the use of the word "Sale" or "Discount" when something is listed well above list price... What cracks me up is the price of GTX 1070ti cards. If watch and wait you can often find even EVGA cards down at $509, cheaper than any GTX 1070, Not bad for a card that gets 10-15% better performance!. Still about $40-50 high depending on the card. Oh, and Neweggs price is often $50 cheaper than EVGA's site.

kvndoom wrote:
Card still works fine, and I know coil whine is not a symptom of imminent failure, but that noise is really irritating. I shudder at the prospect of buying a new video card right now. I may just have to tough it out for a while and hope for a good Black Friday deal on a GTX1060.

If you want a GTX 1060 6gb card thaose are starting to moderate and I've seen some that were in the 280's... Sign up for a Newegg news letter and you'll see some deals on these very close to list. You can also use this site http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1060/ to find the best prices.

On the other hand, if you want to hold out to black Friday you'll be able to get the next gen cards... If miners don't interfere...

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:55 am

kvndoom wrote:
My PNY GTX970 has just started getting bad coil whine over the last few weeks (bought it 2 years ago). It's actually coming out of my sound card's right channel and manifesting itself as static/hiss in my speakers (I did an L/R swap, new RCA cables and swapped 2 different amps to verify). When game FPS go up, even if I have sound muted the noise is present. It also does not vary with system volume. Swapped power supplies but no dice. Definitely coming from the video card.

That's not coil whine. Coil whine comes from the coil itself; and since it is a mechanically generated noise, it is not correlated with the ability of the GPU to inject electrical interference into other circuitry.

This sounds more like a power rail filter cap on the sound card going out to me, reducing the ability of the audio section to reject noise on the power rails.

Also, if you have front panel audio jacks, try temporarily disconnecting the front panel audio wiring; it may be acting as an antenna, giving EMI a path into the audio section. If the routing of the front panel wiring shifted recently (placing it closer to the GPU), that could cause an increase in EMI pickup.

kvndoom

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
kvndoom wrote:

That's not coil whine. Coil whine comes from the coil itself; and since it is a mechanically generated noise, it is not correlated with the ability of the GPU to inject electrical interference into other circuitry.

This sounds more like a power rail filter cap on the sound card going out to me, reducing the ability of the audio section to reject noise on the power rails.

Also, if you have front panel audio jacks, try temporarily disconnecting the front panel audio wiring; it may be acting as an antenna, giving EMI a path into the audio section. If the routing of the front panel wiring shifted recently (placing it closer to the GPU), that could cause an increase in EMI pickup.

But I've only had my sound card EIGHT YEARS! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71459&p=1013342&hilit=claro#p1013342

Okay I'm literally laughing myself into stitches... I did a forum search for "Claro" and found that post. I really didn't realize it had been that long. :o

I will look for a decent sound card in my budget to replace the Claro then! It was going to go away next time I got a new motherboard anyway, because of being PCI. Thanks for the heads up!

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:25 am

kvndoom wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
kvndoom wrote:

But I've only had my sound card EIGHT YEARS! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71459&p=1013342&hilit=claro#p1013342

Okay I'm literally laughing myself into stitches... I did a forum search for "Claro" and found that post. I really didn't realize it had been that long. :o

I will look for a decent sound card in my budget to replace the Claro then! It was going to go away next time I got a new motherboard anyway, because of being PCI. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know if I'm surprised you have an 8 year old card or if it's the fact that it is PCI! What sort of board is hosting that? Perhaps it's an excuse to get a new motherboard/CPU and RAM ;).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

kvndoom

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:11 am

Welch wrote:
I don't know if I'm surprised you have an 8 year old card or if it's the fact that it is PCI! What sort of board is hosting that? Perhaps it's an excuse to get a new motherboard/CPU and RAM ;).

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97AUSB_31/

With an i5-4690. I specifically got a board with a PCI slot because of the sound card. :lol: But my next rebuild isn't until 2020. I hope by then a decent video card plus 16GB RAM won't add up to 3/4 of a mortgage payment.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:16 am

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium arrived in mid-2008 for PCIe. That pretty much eliminated the need for legacy PCI slots.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

kvndoom

Thu May 03, 2018 10:28 am

just brew it! wrote:
kvndoom wrote:

Last derail, but I wanted to follow up. Received and installed a Xonar STX last night and it fixed the problem. Thanks again! :D

P.S. I only use the built-in RCA connectors, and never hook up the front panel jacks.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 03, 2018 1:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Aranarth wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

There's still Monaro for miners to waste GPU resources and electricity on, but Etherium miners are the lion's share of the Crypto-mining market right now.

And people said that it couldn't be done... It was specifically designed not to allow you to an asic to mine etherium...

That is what I was saying. I said given enough time people would come out with asics to support ether mining.
Turns out I was right, and sooner than even I expected. I was thinking next year.

I don't mine, so I really don't mind, so it don't matter... (or something like that) :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Aranarth wrote:
That is what I was saying. I said given enough time people would come out with asics to support ether mining.
Turns out I was right, and sooner than even I expected. I was thinking next year.

But no one ever claimed that it couldn't be done, what we actually said was that it wouldn't be practical.

And it isn't.

Assuming that price/performance/efficiency end up being exactly as stating, it's the performance of 6 4GB 580s at essentially the same TDP, at roughly 2.4 the cost at current pricing.

If pricing was in line with MRSP (for the 8GB cards, not even the cutdown 4GB ones), it would be more like 1.7

Basically, in a more sane world without crypto-currency, a 4GB 580 would probably cost something like ~180 USD, so we'd be talking like 1.3

In other words, assuming that the price/performance/efficiency hold up, this thing already isn't "vastly superior". Without the distortions to the GPU market (which would of course disappear if the ASIC truly was "practical") , it's maybe ~50% better on pricing, and unlike what it supplants, it has no double-use residual value.

Also, I might add, these things aren't shipping now anyway, and Bitmain has already admitted that they'll only sell a "small batch" in "late" Q2 (i.e. -you- can't buy one) and with the rest being available in Q4.

Thus this is vaporware, and very unimpressive vaporware at that: GPU prices are dropping rapidly. The 580 is already 60-70 lower than where it was when the Ethereum ASIC was announced.

EDIT: Like, I should be clear here: This is a blackbox that they aren't even currently selling. if the pricing is only 30% better when it comes to a normal market demand, we get into the question of whether or not we're actually talking about a bunch of barebones GPU chips.

Because it is *SERIOUSLY WEIRD* that an "ASIC" is roughly equivalent on a power efficiency basis.

Not that it couldn't be an ASIC, it probably is actually, but that should help you understand how silly this all is. It's just not practical.

You don't normally do all that work only to get a product that you HOPE (remember, this is announced specs, not a shipping product... historically the real miners don't quite match the hype) will have exactly the same performance/efficiency as an existing general purpose solution.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Pure speculation alert!

If/when ASIC miners pick up some of the load and/or "proof of work" is no longer the qualifying standard for cryptomining, will we see a lot of used high-end cards hit the market? Will the economic value of a high-end card drop due to electrical costs or will the really big players (the ones already in Iceland, for instance) just expand operations?

Yes, I'm on the sidelines waiting to get a used card.

EDIT: naturally, 10 minutes after I ask the question, I find someone's done the math
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

End User

Sun May 20, 2018 10:37 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium arrived in mid-2008 for PCIe. That pretty much eliminated the need for legacy PCI slots.

I can't remember the last sound card I purchased. I've been using USB audio for ages. At the moment it's either audio via my PC 373D or audio via my Oculus Rift.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 pm

End User wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

I can't remember the last sound card I purchased. I've been using USB audio for ages. At the moment it's either audio via my PC 373D or audio via my Oculus Rift.

I picked up a PCIe Xonar card for my last build a couple of years ago, after deciding I wanted something a little better than the onboard, but didn't feel like shelling out for a full-on "audiophile quality" solution. Linux driver support was also a factor. So far I've been quite happy with it.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2018 8:28 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Prices in general seem to be calming down. I picked up a EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW "Ultra Silent" card from Amazon on sale for $509. It's back up to $569 now (not sure why!) but keep an eye out.

Dude, you got ripped, I've seen plenty of GTX 1070ti cards at $449-489 and even saw a GTX 1080 down at $499 with a special promotion and mail in rebate. You can now routinely find GTX 1080s for $549.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat May 26, 2018 8:44 am

I don't think paying an extra $20 on a $500 item is "getting ripped". That's only a 4% difference. If that included shipping it may have even been completely in line with the deals you've seen.

EVGA is a decent brand too. That alone may be worth the extra $ depending on what brand the other cards are.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 am

I was just ribbing, considering how expensive these cards have been it's a good buy. But seriously, if you watch, you will find them down at around $459. EVGA currently has 2 or 3 GTX 1080's for $549.

pink_flower
Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2018 2:46 am

MSI GeForce GTX 1050Ti Gaming X 4G is the one I will suggest. It's $230