Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Blurry BIOS screen

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm

About half the time, when my system starts, the BIOS screen (actually UEFI) is blurry. The image is fine once Windows or Linux starts.

I think that I know enough to believe the problem is the video BIOS, but is there a way to check or solve this?

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Blurry BIOS screen

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Yan wrote:
About half the time, when my system starts, the BIOS screen (actually UEFI) is blurry. The image is fine once Windows or Linux starts.

I think that I know enough to believe the problem is the video BIOS, but is there a way to check or solve this?

Sounds like the EFI BIOS is mis-reading the EDID from your monitor and probably defaulting to a very low resolution. Your monitor is scaling it to its native resolution and making it look blurry. If, by chance, you are using a VGA connector, instead of a digital one, it is also possible that the monitor isn't auto-calibrating well. I'll assume you are using a digital video connector (DVI, HDMI, DP). If you can pause boot when the screen is blurry (go into setup or get a boot device prompt) then you should be able to find the info menu on your monitor, somewhere it will tell you what the resolution and refresh rate are. My Dell U2412Ms show it on the main menu. Some monitors have it buried in an info screen. Once you find it, make a note of the resolution and then when it boots with a clear screen, compare what it says.

--SS

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 pm

How are you connected? Analog VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, DP? Is it a direct connection from PC to monitor, or is it passed through a conversion dongle?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 pm

do some EDID hacking

but it could be a number of things from reading different site. bad cable, bad port sending bad data, corrupt EDID.

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. The initiation time of your monitor varies slightly because it polls periodically for signal in low-power/sleep.

The low resolution is totally harmless, it's just evidence that your motherboard firmware prioritizes startup speed over waiting for connected peripherals to respond because it didn't detect the monitor and its capabilities in time before continuing with it's boot sequence.

I'm assuming it's blurry only when you cold-boot and that a soft-reset where the monitor is already awake results in a higher-resolution BIOS mode?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 pm

What kind of blurry?

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 pm

meerkt wrote:
What kind of blurry?

This kind of blurry.

I have a DVI-D single link connection; no dongle. And it also happens with a soft reset.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Once you find it, make a note of the resolution and then when it boots with a clear screen, compare what it says.

Thanks for the suggestion!

With a clear screen, it says the resolution is 1280 x 1024, but when it's blurry, it's 1288 x 1024. And once I'm in Windows, it just says 1080p.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 pm

If you can adjust the mode set for the display to shave off that extra 8 pixels it might just fix its self. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out what is adding those extra 8 pixels to begin with, or why it's blurring like that at odd resolutions.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 am

Yan wrote:
meerkt wrote:
What kind of blurry?

This kind of blurry.

I have a DVI-D single link connection; no dongle. And it also happens with a soft reset.

That doesn't look like a resolution scaling issue, it looks like the monitor isn't able to properly sync to the signal the card is putting out.

When it happens, what happens if you power cycle the monitor? That might tell us whether the problem is with the monitor or the GPU.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 am

just brew it! wrote:
When it happens, what happens if you power cycle the monitor? That might tell us whether the problem is with the monitor or the GPU.

I've just tried it. Power cycling the monitor didn't help.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm

I don't usually do this, but bump.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Did you try a 2nd monitor or graphics card to see if the problem persists?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 am

Yan wrote:
I don't usually do this, but bump.

I've been away for a week and your image link has expired - care to upload again?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I've been away for a week and your image link has expired - care to upload again?

Please try now. Thanks.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 am

Oh, I've seen that before - Progressive scan over DVI-X with EDID horizontal resolution mismatch; It commonly used to happen on 1366x768 panels that were reporting by the EDID as 1360x768 instead.

1) Bad cable - have you tested with another one yet?
2) Faulty EDID entries in monitor firmware - either old or corrupt firmware - and this is rarely user-upgradeable
3) Really, *really* bad BIOS on your GPU. Can you test with the onboard IGP if the cable doesn't fix the issue?

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 pm

1) I didn't have another DVI cable, but I did have an HDMI cable. It didn't help.

2) The monitor is an Asus VE228. I can't find any information on updating the firmware.

3) I have a Ryzen 5 1600, so no IGP. Oh well.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:11 am

What's the GPU? You could try flashing the BIOS but they're not the sort of thing that vendors tend to offer.

Nonetheless, and at your own risk, there are plenty of sites that have GPU BIOS repositories and flashing tools.

I'd still be tempted to swap monitors with another system if you can, just to see if the problem moves with the monitor or stays with the GPU.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 am

I'm lazy... I'd just shrug my shoulders and go wow "that's weird!" and move on with my life. :D

Sometimes it is AMAZING that everything works as well as it does even though the pc world is not a vertical as the mac one is.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Aranarth wrote:
I'm lazy... I'd just shrug my shoulders and go wow "that's weird!" and move on with my life.

I have a Sapphire Radeon RX 460 2 GB (OC).

I agree with you. Usually I'd be willing to take a chance and flash the GPU, but with the cost of buying a replacement GPU these days if something goes wrong, it's not worth it.

Edit: And if the problem is the monitor, it's also not worth buying another monitor.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 pm

My 3008wfp does this sometimes. Other times it gets confused during the boot process and goes to sleep.

I personally blamed the fact that this monitor is DP 1.1 and one of the first DP monitors to reach the market.

Based on your post I'm guessing the Displayport negotiation process must not be bulletproof.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.