Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Display keeps turning off in Windows 10

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:53 am

I recently built myself a new computer and gave my son my old desktop for school use. Since giving it to him it has developed this odd issue where the computer will boot and load windows and then the display will turn off. If I power cycle the monitor, the display will show for less than a second before disappearing again. I did a complete reinstall of Windows (formatted the drive and a fresh install) and the problem went a way for a little bit but now it has returned. This problem also persists when trying different monitors. My though was that it has something to do with the old graphics card I put back in to the machine, but don't have a spare to test. Any suggestions?

Graphics card: Nvidia 660

Thank you for any help!

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Display keeps turning off in Windows 10

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 am

Latest drivers for the card installed?

Have you tried a different monitor cable?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am

I have a super old laptop (~12 years old) with an unsupported video card that does this same thing in windows 10. I have the power button set to put the computer to sleep. So once Windows boots and the screen goes blank, I press the power button, put it to sleep, wake it (mouse wiggle or space bar) and it works normally again.

If you can't get more updated drivers for your card, try this method. Mildly annoying, but it works for me at least.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Latest drivers for the card installed?

Have you tried a different monitor cable?

I have tried it with both the most up to date drivers and the windows default drivers. Can’t change the cord as it is integrated into the monitor. It’s an old hand me down lcd.

demolition
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 am

I had a similar issue at one time with a PC using the onboard Intel Gfx. It worked initially but after a Windows Feature Update, the video output would disappear. I could make the image come back by going into failsafe mode, delete the driver and have it run with the MS standard video driver, however after rebooting the machine it only took around 5 minutes before Windows thought it had to install the 'proper' driver from Windows Update and then the problem came back.. I don't remember exactly how, but I managed to force it to stay with the standard Microsoft driver. Obviously the performance was horrible but at least I was not blind and this particular machine was not going to be used as a workstation anyway so the performance wasn't very relevant to me.

So my guess is that it is driver related somehow. Windows could also be trying to set a mode which is unsupported by the monitor, so try setting it to something safe like 1024x768@60 Hz (you should be able to do that in safe mode).

apkellogg
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:20 pm

demolition wrote:
I had a similar issue at one time with a PC using the onboard Intel Gfx. It worked initially but after a Windows Feature Update, the video output would disappear. I could make the image come back by going into failsafe mode, delete the driver and have it run with the MS standard video driver, however after rebooting the machine it only took around 5 minutes before Windows thought it had to install the 'proper' driver from Windows Update and then the problem came back.. I don't remember exactly how, but I managed to force it to stay with the standard Microsoft driver. Obviously the performance was horrible but at least I was not blind and this particular machine was not going to be used as a workstation anyway so the performance wasn't very relevant to me.

So my guess is that it is driver related somehow. Windows could also be trying to set a mode which is unsupported by the monitor, so try setting it to something safe like 1024x768@60 Hz (you should be able to do that in safe mode).

This sounds pretty close to what I am experiencing. Thank you to everyone for the info and suggestions!

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Google and you will find tons on the Nvidia black screen after driver update issues. Sounds exactly like the issue I had last summer with some EVGA GT 710 (IIRC). I corrupted one of the 3 machines I was working on as I had to force shut down machine. Upon research found it was a huge issue that wasn't resolved for many people.

Try disabling windows updates to ensure it isn't using it's own update. Try running like that for awhile and see what happens. Then if it is stable, run the update manually and see if you have the issue again. If you do, revert to older version.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

AlikDiana
Gerbil

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 am

demolition wrote:

After you uninstalled the graphic driver, it will be replaced with the microsoft basic display adapter, and it will decrease the quality of the image.

Besides of the graphic issue, you can try to plug your ram to another pcie slot if your display has no sign.