Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Who's Down with IGP? (Apparently this Homie)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:45 pm

So over the last couple of weeks I sold off my more than one year old GTX-1080 and GTX-1060 and even on the secondary market I got back basically what I paid for them new.

Part of this is because thanks to the coin-mining fad even these cards, which aren't even the best coin-miners, are disgustingly overpriced and I figured I'd get my money before Nvidia launches Ampere ( or whatever they end up calling it) next month.

Another big reason is that I basically have no time to play games anymore, so all that sweet sweet graphics performance was pretty much being wasted.

My current systems are both running Haswell era IGPs that.. believe it or not.. are capable of driving a 2560x1440 at 120Hz and actually do a reasonable job in standard desktop Linux use. They can even do a little 3D like Google Earth and Sketchup without driving you up the wall. Games? Defintely not.

Given the fact that I'm getting too old for this... stuff.. I'm seriously thinking about a future system that would be based on a Kaby Lake-G type of solution that can deliver OK but certainly not top of the line graphics. My next major system build is scheduled for 2020 or so (knock on wood) so we'll see how products like that progress.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Who's Down with IGP? (Apparently this Homie)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:59 pm

The GPU in my main rig is currently a GT 720, which is down in the "IGP class" performance range. It has no problems driving a 1920x1080 main display plus a pair of 1280x1024 displays (triple head). Occasional stupid Linux driver issues aside, I've been pretty happy with it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm

/me raises hand

My main system right now is a Skull Canyon NUC. Putting together a box with a Ryzen APU in it and also thinking about picking up a Hades Canyon NUC once those are released. Last system with a discrete GPU in it is an HTPC with a 1050ti, but I could probably replace it with either of those and be just fine.

I also sold all my discrete cards recently, made a nice little profit on them. Haven't had time to play anything and the few times I have, it's been something simpler, in 1080p at most, so I figured, might as well fully downsize. And IGPs can only go up from here.
<3 TR

turtlepwr281
Gerbil

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm down with it too. I built a net-top style system in a morex 557 case using a thin-itx motherboard and an i3-3225, running linux.

The HD 4000 graphics run a handful of games (TF2, Torchlight 2, Kerbal Space Program and Stardew Valley) at 2560 x 1080 on Mint.

If RAM wasn't crazy I would have rebuilt it with an ITX board and a 2400g.
Ryzen 2400g | 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 | Linux Mint | Mayflower O2/ODAC | Sennheiser HD598

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm rebuilding my old Sandy Bridge system. I only intend to have the IGP for it (my girlfriend will be using it)

Only reason for the rebuild is to wipe the drives and move cases (old case has non-functional front panel USB)

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:53 pm

chuckula wrote:
My current systems are both running Haswell era IGPs that.. believe it or not.. are capable of driving a 2560x1440 at 120Hz and actually do a reasonable job in standard desktop Linux use. They can even do a little 3D like Google Earth and Sketchup without driving you up the wall. Games? Defintely not.

In addition to my desktop PC, I have a laptop with the Ivy Bridge graphics (HD4000). Games are a real possibility, as long as you're willing to go a little retro or, for modern games, look outside of high-end titles. The original Mass Effect will play on Haswell graphics (albeit not at the max resolution and refresh), for instance, and I'll bet a lot from that era would. Just about any 2D game should work well: I run FTL, Darkest Dungeon, Shovel Knight on my laptop when the mood strikes me.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm definitely playing fewer and fewer games, just about to the point where some on-board graphics solutions (particular Iris Plus 640 or 650) would handle 100% of what I need. Just StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3 at relatively moderate settings and 1080p resolution would do me just fine. Doesn't matter, though - my primary desktop is a Ryzen 7 1700 box, and there's no IGP to be found. Not interested in stepping down to a 2400G, either.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LostCat

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Ironically I'd still be fine with my IGP systems for 98% of my usage if it wasn't for one web game I spend a bit too much time in heh.
Meow.

FlamingSpaceJunk
Gerbil

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 am

Testing out the AMD drivers and my motherboard only having one displayport are the reasons I have a discrete card in my personal desktop. I have quite a few systems which only have the IGP, and they work great.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:50 am

I did the HD 4000 thing a few years back, but even at 720p/low most casual games were unplayable.

Things have gotten better since then. You can now buy an AMD IGP without castrating your system performance. But it's still slower than the GTX 750 Ti that I put into that HTPC with HD 4000.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:48 pm

LostCat wrote:
Ironically I'd still be fine with my IGP systems for 98% of my usage if it wasn't for one web game I spend a bit too much time in heh.
Everyone has a Runescape phase.

LostCat

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:47 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:

or not. It's an H game so I can't really be more specific :p :)
Meow.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 pm

LostCat wrote:
Duct Tape Dude wrote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/fDO2Nk0ImzvvW/giphy.gif

SkyWarrior
Gerbil

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:34 am

I am all IGP except for 2 machines of X79 and X299. They are driving a measly 1050 inside (I would have installed R5 240 but could not justify their lack of displayport 1.2. I am driving 1440p and 4K.).
I am not gaming anymore and I am waiting for mac mini with intel's vega infused APU.

I am not paying a single penny to AMD or NVIDIA anymore.
Rare is common where I work...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:36 pm

So glad I opened an Incognito tab to google that term.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Bumper
Gerbil

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:45 pm

/me. just built a machine with the Ryzen 2200G. HTPC. still some teething issues. my ram wasn't totally happy at 3200 with the xmp profile, but it runs rock solid at 3000 (could be my mb?). also I was getting some weird bsod for AMD's driver, but apparently it's an old problem and a clean uninstall and reinstall so far has resolved it. I have it running at stock speeds, but I may tinker with it a bit as I settle into it.

other than that I am happy, it is what I've been wanting in an apu. the performance is near identical to the various review sites. I'm planning on trying out some "old" games this week and see how they do.

my cpuz score is 12% slower single threaded that a 4ghz 6700k while running 300mhz slower. idk how much stock to put in cpuz but that's the result.

LostCat

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
LostCat wrote:
Duct Tape Dude wrote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/fDO2Nk0ImzvvW/giphy.gif

guess it wasn't just that game, twas probably the only one I put enough time into to notice
https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2 ... sktop.html
Medium CVE-2018-6073: Heap bufffer overflow in WebGL.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 am

IGPs are fine if you don't need AAA gaming.

My laptop is a 14" Lenovo 320s and the Intel HD 620 is fine for pretty much everything except modern games. Even AAA games often run at 720p30 and a lot of the very popular stuff like Overwatch, Dota2, Rocket League etc will be acceptable if not a premium experience.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm definitely playing fewer and fewer games, just about to the point where some on-board graphics solutions (particular Iris Plus 640 or 650) would handle 100% of what I need. Just StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3 at relatively moderate settings and 1080p resolution would do me just fine. Doesn't matter, though - my primary desktop is a Ryzen 7 1700 box, and there's no IGP to be found. Not interested in stepping down to a 2400G, either.

So I got a wild hair and picked up a 2400G and popped it into my updated Ryzen system. Got it from Amazon figuring if it wasn't going to work out for me I could send it back. Well it's working out for me. All I play anymore is StarCraft and Diablo, and it runs both of them at 1080p and medium-ish settings. SC2 is medium with high textures and D3 is low smoothed shadows, no AA, and low effects but all else high. Reusing the RAM at 2933 and it's Rick solid.

My 1070 sold on eBay for $575 tonight an hour after I listed it. My 970 and my whole Skylake mini ITX setup are gone, and my Ryzen 7 1700 is up there now too. Between the Ryzen 5 2400G and my MacBook (which has no games installed) I don't need any of this stuff any more. Plus I can squirrel away some cash.

I gave up a lot of CPU power I guess, but I wasn't using it, either. Work replaced my laptop with a 7700HQ so my VMs are on that now. No need for eight cores. Lots of clutter gone, too