Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Atradeimos
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

PSA for anyone RMAing a graphics card

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:28 pm

My MSI GTX 970 stopped booting recently, just a few months away from the expiration of the 3 year manufacturers warranty.

I had a spare motherboard/PSU/CPU available to confirm that the problem followed the graphics card and not some other component. Explaining this to MSI tech support resulted in a fairly painless RMA approval.

About a week after I shipped the card back to them, I got an email saying they didn't have any replacement 970s in stock, and offered me a $120 refund as compensation. I politely, but firmly declined, referencing the prices of used GTX 970s in the marketplace ($250-$300 per my quick perusal).

They responded a day later offering to refund the full purchase price to me ($350). I was hoping they'd offer me a next gen alternative (I've heard of this in other forums) but I suppose at current prices it's more economical just to give me back the original purchase amount.

Not too displeased at the process and the outcome overall, and thought I'd post here to warn fellow gerbils in the same boat not to accept the initial lowball offer. Also I've never RMA'd a graphics card with another vendor, so not sure what to expect, but +1 to MSI for customer service overall.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: PSA for anyone RMAing a graphics card

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:24 am

Not a bad result, but considering the market conditions, why didn't you ask for a 1000-series replacement card?

Atradeimos
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm

meerkt wrote:
Not a bad result, but considering the market conditions, why didn't you ask for a 1000-series replacement card?

I guess that's the second part of the PSA, don't give them two options if you want them to pick one...

I also wasn't terribly hung up on getting a replacement card right away, willing to wait for the market to settle and/or new cards to start coming out this summer/fall.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Wonder if this whole GPU drought is going to result in warranties that pro-rate your replacements.

swaaye
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:49 pm

I had a Zotac 1070 fail. They didn't have any 1070s at the time so they sent a 1080. No funky negotiation necessary. That's how you make a customer happy.