Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

feiyang
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Choose a graphics tablet XP-Pen Star06 for Animation

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Hello !

I have a pretty important question here ... at least for me ,I am an Animation .

I want to buy a graphics tablet to stop wasting paper all the time. I usually drawing comics on paper, scan them and then vectorise my concepts. But I thought it was time for a change. So I want to buy a graphic tablet with a screen. (I've already tried without screen and I don't like it).

So got on Amazon, and I found the XP-Pen Star06 ( amazon.com.au/XP-Pen-Wireless-Graphics-Drawing-Painting/dp/B072TZ1WQ2 ) . This model is in my price range, it is big enought for me, ...

As every good buyer does, I did some research : some say the tablet doesn't work with affinity, others say it does ... confusing.

So, I would like to know if any of you use a graphic tablet with a screen that works completely fine and that isn't to expensive ... I said I would go up to 150€, but I prefer less of course.

Thank you for your responses in advance

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Choose a graphics tablet XP-Pen Star06 for Animation

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:44 am

Welcome to TR. Unfortunately that is completely outside of my knowledge sphere. I've heard good things about the Microsoft Surface pen interaction, but that's definitely not in your budget. How about a used Wacom?

caconym
Gerbil

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi feiyang. I'm a professional 3D artist and digital painter.

That tablet you posted a link to DOES NOT HAVE A SCREEN! It looks similar to a Wacom Intuos, which also doesn't have a screen.

If you want to draw with a stylus on a screen (sometimes called a 'pen display'), you are looking at spending anywhere from $400 to $2000+(US). Screenless tablets are much less expensive because they don't have to include a monitor. You can find good screenless tablets for around $100. The least expensive pen display that I know of is this one by Monoprice:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21826

Other brands that make them include Huion and Bosto, and of course Wacom (they are the best, but also the most expensive by far). Here are some reviews of less-expensive pen displays by illustrator Ron Frenden:

http://frenden.com/post/38693256477/yiynovamsp19u
http://frenden.com/post/44426421965/the-dp10u-a-portable-cheap-cintiq-alternative

Another option would be to try a Windows tablet PC, like a Thinkpad Yoga, MS Surface, etc. The drawing area will be small, but it's nice to be able to work away from your desk. I do most of my painting on my Yoga despite it only having a 12.5" screen. New ones can be quite expensive, but older Surface Pros and TP Yogas can be cheaper than buying a big pen display.
3D art desktop: [email protected] - 32gb@2400 - 500gb m.2 850 EVO - GTX 1070 + 750ti (for PhysX) - Noctua NH-U9B - Phanteks P400
2D art laptop: Thinkpad Yoga - i7 4500u - 8gb RAM - 128gb SSD - way too many different Wacom EMR styluses

shuihuo
Gerbil In Training

Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:55 pm

I used to use a XP-Pen Star 06 . I will tell you that drawing for animation on a Star 06 tablet is a nightmare for me. Painting is a little easier, but anything that requires good line work is a problem.

My artist friend told me to bin it and get a pen display monitor . I got a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro ( xp-pen.com/product/65.html ) and the difference was incredible. It was a little bit of a pain to set up, but the moment I was able to put a pen on the screen and draw, all that muscle memory and passion returned in an instant.

Drawing directly on the screen of my Artist 15.6 Pro is a pleasure. The quality of my work and the speed that I can produce it is totally improved by drawing on a screen. I can animate in desktop software such as Toon Boom Harmony.