Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

While we're all worshiping AMD because FREEDOM!

Sat May 05, 2018 11:02 am

So GPP might be out the window and AMD can run around acting all heroic and whatnot.

But just remember, they play their own games with the OEMs too: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-in ... urope.html

So while AMD makes self-serving press releases about how they are the sole protectors of FREEDOM in the GPU market, just remember that they have no problem jerking OEMs around to serve their own purposes too.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: While we're all worshiping AMD because FREEDOM!

Sat May 05, 2018 12:13 pm

So...we should be slanging AMD for this...because theoretically they might be restricting regions on a seller that probably wouldn't make a dent in Europe or the US anyway?

I'm not seeing where the problem is. If ASrock sells enough to get a seat at the table I'm sure they will.
Meow.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 pm

chuckula wrote:
So GPP might be out the window and AMD can run around acting all heroic and whatnot.

But just remember, they play their own games with the OEMs too: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-in ... urope.html

So while AMD makes self-serving press releases about how they are the sole protectors of FREEDOM in the GPU market, just remember that they have no problem jerking OEMs around to serve their own purposes too.

1- You may be making the binary assumption that those partisans against the GPP are all AMD Fanboys, or that by assuming a stance against something it means an automatic binary stance to the opposite of it.

1.5- My previous statement on this matter still stands- I withhold opinion on the GPP matter until I am able to have reliable evidence like a contract, with people willing to come on record, and having the accused the ability to rebut such claims.

2- You may have simply omitted anything having to do with GPP or AMD's alleged involvement. This cited article's information is able to stand on its own without GPP. GPP is irrelevent.

3- I would like to hear a more detailed explanation for this regional ban from AMD and its partners, specifically, this one that is affected.

4- I would like to also hear what are the charges against AMD? Are they for breaking a law? Being anti-competitive? I don't know, and I am curious to know and learn before I come to an informed conclusion based on logic, and evidence.

uni-mitation

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat May 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Pardon me if I can't get a boner up for fake outrage over who gets licensed to sell graphics cards in which territories. :lol: Do we really think AMD is the only one doing this? If anything it give companies that AMD desperately needs some assurance that they won't get lost on a sea of the exact same card.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat May 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Well Asrock claims there for Gaming but what is with the M1?
Phantom Gaming M1 Radeon RX570 8G

Double Ball Bearings Fan Design?

Video output limited to only DVI-D?

Could this be why?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Both what AMD is doing, and what NV tried to do, are very common things. The fanboyism has definitely been amusing to watch, and a good reminder that the PC hardware industry is amateur hour.

Also, I like that mining card. NV/AMD and their OEM friends need to get on with it and treat mining like the new market segment that it is.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 05, 2018 4:02 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Well Asrock claims there for Gaming but what is with the M1?
Double Ball Bearings Fan Design?
Video output limited to only DVI-D?

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner. Looks like the line was being targeted exclusively at compute applications, and stripped down to the point they would be worthless to a gamer even if they got their hands one one (new or used)...and AMD told Asrock to knock it off.

When you license your IP to a vendor, you ARE allowed to specify the type of applications/use. Segmentation of your own products and brands is not abusive per se.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 06, 2018 11:02 am

chuckula wrote:

meh you need to have more kids, you're obviously not busy enough in real life ;)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 2064cb3802

Former AMD marketing guy says AMD is not banning ASRock from selling cards in Europe. Maybe not the best choice of people to write this article. :lol:

Anyway, here's a summation of what he apparently discussed with ASRock PR people:

ASRock got into the GPU game with cryptocurrency mining in mind. Indeed, it was initially reported that they were launching mining-based SKUs. What I've been told -- and I confirmed this twice over the phone and again via email -- is that in Europe, ASRock has decided not to sell Phantom Gaming graphics cards commercially. They won't appear in online or brick-and-mortal PC retail shops. They are only intended for miners and industrial use. Furthermore, the minimum order quantity for these customers is 500 pieces.

So my previously latent ire remains dormant.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen